SEARCH

Enter your search query in the box above ^, or use the forum search tool.

You are not logged in.

#1 2010-05-31 03:12:02

alifdalya

Peppermint OS.. another openbox distro

http://distrowatch.com/table.php?distri … peppermint
What do you think.. integrating directly with Cloud-based applications

Be excellent to each other!

#2 2010-05-31 12:22:33

vicshrike
#! by Default

Re: Peppermint OS.. another openbox distro

#!, all else is but a shadow

#3 2010-05-31 21:07:30

fox
#! Junkie

Peppermint OS looks very nice; I have it running on a virtual machine.  It starts up very fast because it's using the same startup tricks as 10.04.  And it's light like CrunchBang, though I prefer the CB look and feel.

Mac user with Linux tendencies
#!CrunchBang Waldorf & Ubuntu 13.04 on Acer 1810TZ (OCZ Vertex 2 128gb SSD)
Various linux virtual machines on a Mac mini, an iMac and a MacBook Air

#4 2010-06-01 10:54:52

vicshrike
#! by Default

Yeah, checked their homepage, and it looked really nice, were tempted to try it out but resisted! But please continue share any Peppermint experience, always a nice read to hear about what is going on.

#5 2010-06-02 02:33:01

fox
#! Junkie

I can add that although Peppermint OS is cloud-centric, there is no problem installing apps from its repos.  I tried installing openOffice and also rkward (a front end GUI to the statistical package, R, designed for KDE).

#6 2010-06-02 03:55:36

vrkalak
#! Die Hard

Stole this post from the LinuxMint forums ... comments made by the LinuxMint-9 LXDE and Peppermint OS Developer:

vrkalak wrote:  If I'm not mistaken ... Mint-9 LXDE and PepperMint OS were both developed by the same person/Developer lol

Kendall replies:
You are quite correct in that statement. :wink:

Yes I build Mint LXDE, and yes I build Peppermint OS. There are significant differences, both in operation and in philosophy. Allow me to explain:

The virtue of Mint is that it's a remarkably cohesive desktop experience on or off of the internet. Part of what makes Mint what it is derives from Clem's insistence on having exceedingly high quality control in all aspects of desktop computing. As a result, there's a lot going on under the hood in order to ensure this, but this isn't a bad thing in any capacity. Mint caters to a specific type of user, by choice or by necessity, that wishes to have everything there "out of the box" if you will. Mint is conservatively marketed, focuses on improving itself and the entire "desktop Linux" market as a whole.

Peppermint is a completely different philosophy. "Conservative" is not in the Peppermint vocabulary in any technological context. It exists because a niche market was discovered that nobody else was taking advantage of, and it's been remarkably successful thus far by catering to an emerging market in an unapologetic way. Peppermint gives you online alternatives for most of your regular desktop tasks, but tries to ram home the point that if you want it locally installed, you can do that and it's quite easy.

I will go ahead and say that Peppermint is indeed faster than Mint LXDE. This has nothing to do with anything other than Mint is, in fact, heavier and runs more startup/background processes. Peppermint has poorer hardware support (especially Toshiba laptops) but this was necessary in pursuit of speed and stability in better supported systems.

I love Mint like I love few things in life but the truth is that there is a market where Mint simply can not fit the bill, thus the creation of Peppermint. Peppermint is much more Lubuntu than it is Mint. There are forks of some Mint tools and the Mint repo is activated by default (and given a higher priority than the Ubuntu repos) and most of the specific low level configuration comes from Mint. BUT, Mint and Peppermint are not competing as far as I'm concerned. We're working together, somewhat directly and somewhat indirectly. Simply put, I absolutely refuse to cut either distro short when development happens on one or the other. Peppermint would not be where it is today without Mint LXDE and Mint Fluxbox and Mint LXDE would not be where it is today without Peppermint.

Anything you do with one or the other is completely capable of being done with both. "Where to start?" is the real question.

Registered Linux User: #497030
my DeviantART page
-- #!Crunchbang- Sid "Animal"  (Fluxbox) -- LMDE Fluxbox Edition -- Manjaro-Fluxbox --

#7 2010-06-02 04:35:19

anonymous
The Mystery Member

I will go ahead and say that Peppermint is indeed faster than Mint LXDE.

This does not give me a good impression of Mint LXDE (not that I would use Mint anyhow).

#8 2010-06-02 11:12:48

fox
#! Junkie

anonymous wrote:

This does not give me a good impression of Mint LXDE ....

Is this because you have tried Peppermint and are not impressed with its speed or because the developer that worked on both says one is faster than the other?

#9 2010-06-02 14:26:53

anonymous
The Mystery Member

The latter but also because the two distros use Ubuntu and Openbox/LXDE.

Its not like its a comparison between Puppy Linux and Ubuntu.

#10 2010-06-02 15:45:52

Awebb
The Singularity

It's like: If Mint is slower, then how slow is Mint, based upon the fact that Peppermint feels slow big_smile

I'm so meta, even this acronym

#11 2010-06-07 00:10:46

Nickynak

Peppermint is my second favourite distro after Crunchbang, XFCE Statler runs faster for me on my netbook and is easier on the power management (less overheating). Also I found several glitches in Peppermint which threw me out as a Linux newbie, such as a malfunctioning cursor, update problems, and I even had trouble changing my wallpaper on it, as ridiculous as it sounds. The Peppermint team are very friendly though like here so thats big plus points to them.

#12 2010-06-07 02:04:22

fox
#! Junkie

My experience pretty much mirrored yours, Nicknak.  I tried both on my Wind and was surprised to find that Statler (xfce) was slightly faster and less buggy.  This was not the case on a virtual machine, where Peppermint seemed to smoke everything.  The biggest negative with Peppermint was that I couldn't figure out how to get it to autoconnect to wireless.  It's apparently a bug that they can hopefully fix.  One advantage of Statler over CB 9.04 is it seems to give better battery time.  (Could this be xfce vs openbox?)

My intent was to set up Statler so I could run either openbox or xfce, but when I went to add the missing openbox files (as described in an earlier post), the version I got was a far cry from the Crunchbang openbox setup.

Last edited by fox (2010-06-07 02:08:06)

#13 2010-06-09 00:13:39

Nickynak

The wireless internet connection failure was something I experienced too. I was reading this thread again and I have to agree that I would be discouraged to try the LKDE Mint also, after reading the developers comments. If it isn't a better distro than Peppermint OS then there is no point trying it. On a different note, I tried Xubuntu for the first time today, I much prefer the layout and feel of Crunchbang although Xubuntu was quick and smooth mostly. I think the Statler XFCE version has the best feel of any distro I have used in my couple of months as a linux user, don't think I am going to bother 'distro-hopping' anymore!

#14 2010-06-09 10:03:00

fox
#! Junkie

Nickynak wrote:

I think the Statler XFCE version has the best feel of any distro I have used in my couple of months as a linux user, don't think I am going to bother 'distro-hopping' anymore!

That's what they all say! smile

#15 2010-06-09 13:05:58

vicshrike
#! by Default

fox wrote:
Nickynak wrote:

I think the Statler XFCE version has the best feel of any distro I have used in my couple of months as a linux user, don't think I am going to bother 'distro-hopping' anymore!

That's what they all say! smile

lol

#16 2010-06-09 18:36:37

andi

For me the biggest disadvantage is that Peppemint only 32bit. Sadly there is no 64bit version.

#17 2010-06-09 18:41:42

anonymous
The Mystery Member

Give it time. CrunchBang also didn't have a 64-bit version when it started.

#18 2010-06-11 02:12:20

KendallTristan

Hi guys.

Regarding Peppermint, on some hardware it was the fastest thing we've tested.  On other hardware it was far from it.  Either way, one of the points we're really trying to ram home with Peppermint is that it really is all about choice.  We don't want to be in competition with other distros.  Crunchbang has been a favorite of mine for quite some time now and I don't want to discourage it's use, even in the Peppermint community.  If my comments above have put anyone off from trying either Mint 9 LXDE or Peppermint, that was not my intention, rather my intention was to contrast the differences that went into the construction of each on a non-technical level.  I do very much encourage everyone to give it a spin though, if nothing else than just for the sake of giving it a spin.

anonymous wrote:

Give it time. CrunchBang also didn't have a 64-bit version when it started.

I am indeed working on a 64 bit version at the moment.  It's close but might need another couple of days worth of testing.

Lead developer for Peppermint OS.
Maintainer for the Linux Mint LXDE and Fluxbox editions.

#19 2010-06-11 13:25:37

vicshrike
#! by Default

Welcome to #! KendallTristan, and good luck with the 64 bit version.

#20 2011-04-20 06:27:50

bobrossw
#! Die Hard

I just stumbled upon Liquid Lemur http://www.liquidlemur.org/index.php?app=about
It seems like it might be a nice middle-point between #! and lmde/mint.  Still debian (testing) based, uses Xfce, and cairo dock, and has a lot of customization scripts adapted from other distros.  they also include #! in their credits as an influence.

Maybe worth checking out if someone's itching to do some distro hopping.  Let me know how it goes if you do!

edit: @Kendall - I like your perspective.  Linux is all about choice and freedom, so distro designers should never be trying to corner any market. I'm really happy to see that attitude reflected all over these forums. I'll keep peppermint in mind if/when I have a constant internet connection on my netbook.

Last edited by bobrossw (2011-04-20 06:36:09)

#21 2011-04-20 06:46:28

muzieca
#! Die Hard

Kendall
Hi Kendall, i'm surprised and happy to see you here too. When will be the Peppermint 2 released? Can't wait to test it. smile

Life is really simple, but we insist on making it complicated. --Confucius--

#22 2011-04-20 08:21:57

bozhkov
#! Junkie

It's just that he had 1 post 10 months ago, I do not think he is regular here smile

#23 2011-04-20 08:58:42

muzieca
#! Die Hard

bozhkov wrote:

It's just that he had 1 post 10 months ago, I do not think he is regular here smile

You're right, i didn't check the date first. My bad..... smile

Life is really simple, but we insist on making it complicated. --Confucius--

Board footer