SEARCH

Enter your search query in the box above ^, or use the forum search tool.

You are not logged in.

#1 2010-03-13 19:10:30

becker
#! CrunchBanger
Website

Suggestion regarding which applications to include in Statler

I have already posted this http://crunchbanglinux.org/forums/post/58397/#p58397 but I wanted to bring it out as a separate thread. I hope no one minds

I'm not aware if this has already happened with previous builds of Crunchbang but here's my suggestion.

We can sit around here making suggestions until the cows come home, instead why not run a thread/poll where we VOTE for our app of choice For example
browsers
- firefox
- iceweasel
- icecat
- chromium
- opera
- midori
- seamonkey

etc with lists of apps for different categories editors/file managers/image apps/music apps/etc

then at a certain point which is decided at the outset The results are tallied up and the app from each category with the most votes is the app which gets included into the distro.

You would of course need separate categories for text versions vs gui versions vim is an editor as is leafpad but it's fair to have both installed.

How does everyone feel about this suggestion??

pay the bills with Windows, obssesed with Linux, studying CCNA when I can fit it in.

Be excellent to each other!

#2 2010-03-13 19:22:15

achristoffersen
#! Junkie

Re: Suggestion regarding which applications to include in Statler

As #! is the best linux flavour I have yet tasted, and as the majority use something different then #!, I would vote agains a vote. I say let us be gratefull to have people like corenominal and omns educate us :-)

#! apps have toght me a lot. I couldn't have voted for these apps - because I didn't know about them :-)

#3 2010-03-13 19:32:41

omns
#! wanderer

I think just a wish list like in this thread is a better option http://crunchbanglinux.org/forums/topic/6759/apps/

I imagine corenominal will evaluate these requests and come up with a package set that he finds personally useful with some extra requests if space permits on the iso. Crunchbang is essentially a setup that he uses for his everyday needs then happily shares the results with the community.

Of course there's nothing stopping anyone taking the results, adjusting it and re-spinning that to share as well. Therein lies the beauty of what we have here smile

#4 2010-03-13 19:36:23

becker
#! CrunchBanger
Website

achristoffersen wrote:

As #! is the best linux flavor I have yet tasted, and as the majority use something different then #!, I would vote against a vote. I say let us be grateful to have people like corenominal and omns educate us :-)

#! apps have taught me a lot. I couldn't have voted for these apps - because I didn't know about them :-)

Good point and I totally agree. It is because of #! that I now use and love irssi, moc & mutt apps which were all in the first #! distro I installed. At the same time I can see alot of time being spent to-ing and fro-ing between discussions on which app should be included and which shouldn't. Discussion is fine and there is always Google if you need to research something before making your decision. I just feel that this would simplify the process for everyone.

pay the bills with Windows, obssesed with Linux, studying CCNA when I can fit it in.

#5 2010-03-13 19:56:58

becker
#! CrunchBanger
Website

omns wrote:

I think just a wish list like in this thread is a better option http://crunchbanglinux.org/forums/topic/6759/apps/

Yeah I know about that thread that was actually what gave me this idea. I just thought in the effort to keep it simple a poll style thread would work better I realise it's his personal distro but either way we do it we're still talking about it and the thread style approach could easily blow out to 15/20 even 30pages

#6 2010-03-13 20:05:26

omns
#! wanderer

becker wrote:

I realise it's his personal distro but either way we do it we're still talking about it

A valid point smile

#7 2010-03-14 00:04:07

anonymous
The Mystery Member

I've decided to improvise a poll:

http://crunchbanglinux.org/forums/topic … rred-apps/

Feel free to submit your suggestions there, but make sure you categorize your choices so I can count them easily.

Board footer