SEARCH

Enter your search query in the box above ^, or use the forum search tool.

You are not logged in.

#1 2010-02-26 10:37:21

tawan
#! Junkie
Website

[solved] downloading the undownloadable - your ideas please

Your ideas on downloading a flash movie, with a difference, they have made it do you can't by putting the movie in a holder.

~
I just recently did an online course and I had access to a load of Flash movies. Now I feel that having paid for these movies that they should be mine but naturally the course say they are theirs.

It seem that the flash movie is a holder as it is a few kb in size. No typical method can download them and the file in the cache is tiny and empty.

I imagine I could crack the flv open and see what it references and try to download that. Seems a drag..

Any ideas?
~

PS i understand that some of you would consider this bad but I think if I paid for the course they are mine (if for my personal use), they will be very useful to me in the future. And I give you and the company Scouts honor that I would never share these movies only keep them for personal reference.

Last edited by tawan (2010-02-27 15:52:01)

I blog too much....       geek stuff LinuxMintDebian | linux noob stuff LinuxMintNoob | spiritual stuff Daily Cup of Tao

Help fund CrunchBang, donate to the project!

#2 2010-02-26 12:18:58

FiniteStateMachine
Part of the Machine

Re: [solved] downloading the undownloadable - your ideas please

Well, worst case scenario (and depending on how many / long the movies are), you could get some screen-recording software and use that.

just call me...
~FSM~

#3 2010-02-26 14:00:42

pvsage
Internal Affairs

@tawan - I take it you've already tried Video DownloadHelper?  If you're still able to access the videos online this will let you save the actual Flash video to disk.  It doesn't work with *all* sites - MySpace Flash audio in particular is blocked - but it works with Youtube and the like.

I'm a moderator here.  How are we doing?  Feedback is encouraged.

#4 2010-02-26 14:59:47

Val_B
#! CrunchBanger

There are some pretty good add ons for Seamonkey/FF that have worked for me in the past. When they failed (usually on Megavideo) I used my second monitor out in TV mode and hooked an S-video cable from my videocard to my TV recorder card. Even if your videocard doesn't have dual monitor out you can still always record it with one screen but, that would prevent you from doing anything else at the time.

This method limits me to SDTV as the maximum res, however if my tuner accepted HDMI I could use 720P (1366X768) as that is my standard res, but I have found for most flash videos SDTV is good enough.

#5 2010-02-26 17:05:06

anonymous
The Mystery Member

Im partial to using FlashGot to download videos. Maybe it will work for you?

#6 2010-02-26 21:30:27

tawan
#! Junkie
Website

I'm going to try what I can. The issue is that you launch a movie but this is just a tiny container swf that then plays the full movie through it.

All you download with methods I have tried so far is the tiny container .swf (which downloads in a microsecond) no actual movie.

I used to work on Flash years ago and remember this concept. The little container will have a call inside it to the full movie.

good options seem to be:
1) record screen
2) crack the swf and find what it really plays
3) some cunning bit of software that grabs the move itself and not the container

cheers all

I blog too much....       geek stuff LinuxMintDebian | linux noob stuff LinuxMintNoob | spiritual stuff Daily Cup of Tao

#7 2010-02-26 21:58:03

pvsage
Internal Affairs

If the Flash plays within your browser and not in a separate window, DownloadHelper (it's a Firefox plug-in) should be able to grab the .flv or whatever other video is within the .swf container.

I'm a moderator here.  How are we doing?  Feedback is encouraged.

#8 2010-02-26 22:24:15

alef
#! CrunchBanger

you may find the actual location of the flv video by opening the swf with a text editor.

i think also DownThemAll! Tools firefox extension may be able to help you download videos that videoDownloadHelper does not manage to get.

Eee-PC 1000H    |  Statler r20110207 Openbox
Vaio VGN-FE21H  |  Statler r20110207 Openbox
Thinkpad X1Carbon | Waldorf r20121015
-- I live well without owning a printer.

#9 2010-02-26 23:19:28

tawan
#! Junkie
Website

Thanks guys, plenty of ideas there. I'll be trying some out tonight so will report back.

#10 2010-02-28 21:10:52

benj1
Wiki Wizard

pvsage wrote:

@tawan - I take it you've already tried Video DownloadHelper?  If you're still able to access the videos online this will let you save the actual Flash video to disk.  It doesn't work with *all* sites - MySpace Flash audio in particular is blocked - but it works with Youtube and the like.

to be fair you can just copy youtube vids from /tmp, so i don't know how helpful Video DownloadHelper will be, not that i have any better ideas tho.

- - - - - - - - Wiki Pages - - - - - - -
#! install guide           *autostart programs, modify the menu & keybindings
configuring Conky       *installing scripts

#11 2010-02-28 21:53:52

elumbella

If opening the swf-file with an text-editor fails, you could also try to sniff your outgoing network connections while playing the video. I don't know anything about this, but i heard of people succeeding with this method.

#12 2010-02-28 22:17:58

tawan
#! Junkie
Website

I marked the thread as solved but never told you what worked.

The magic tool was flashgot. My cache only had the tiny holder swf and that is all that most programs and addons could download. But somehow flashgot pulled down the whole movie, and even named it properly.

All done now smile Thanks all.

#13 2010-03-02 00:51:03

Midas
#! Member

I know this has been marked as solved but I have a solution to this recurring issue that I would like to bring to the community's attention - at least for the benefit of those using Gecko based browsers like Firefox...

If you check the K-Meleon browser extension site (@http://kmext.sourceforge.net/mplug.htm) you can download a patched version of the flash plugin that when moved to the proper Firefox subfolder allows for easy recuperation of any downloaded/watched video:

Flash Player 10.0.45.2

Flash plugin version 10. Please note this is a patched release of npswf32.dll which enables embedded videos to be saved in your temp folder instead of deleting them after a video has finished playing; those videos will have a *.tmp extension. Copy them from your temp folder to another folder and rename the extension from tmp to flv or mp4.

Board footer