SEARCH

Enter your search query in the box above ^, or use the forum search tool.

You are not logged in.

#1 2010-01-10 14:43:25

tone

bit torrrent

I've just started using linux and thought I should support home grown talent after starting off with linux mint. I installed #! yesterday and I cant seem to figure out the transmission bit torrent when i find a download it asks me to choose a location I pick downloads but it doesn't acutally start the download, whereas mint automaticaly did, any ideeas on how to fix this small dilemma?

Be excellent to each other!

#2 2010-01-10 14:52:40

FiniteStateMachine
Part of the Machine

Re: bit torrrent

When you download the #! torrent, it'll be like any other file you would download. What this means, if you've chosen 'downloads' as your location, is you'll find the file in there, labeled as a .torrent file. If you double click this file, it should associate itself automatically with transmission and start everything the way your used to. If for whatever reason it is not associated with transmission, you can do it manually by opening transmission first, and telling it to open or add a torrent, then browsing to your downloads folder and opening the .torrent file.

just call me...
~FSM~

#3 2010-01-10 16:12:19

tone

thanks bb for being so quick off the mark, i mean that I've already installed #! and if i goto isohunt for example i get the torrent showing in my downloads but on my other distro it would then ask to confirm which folder it was downloading too and i would click the folder it would then start the download.  But with #! it asks me to choose an application to download to, when i click download folder nothing happens it doesn't start the download

#4 2010-01-10 16:57:46

saneks
#! Die Hard

i have this application problem, too. never tried the torrent,but when I want to open the file or its download location oin firefox' download window, it will propose for ANY file to open it with evince or manually search for the application. annoying..

eee701 user & other lap/desktops

#5 2010-01-10 17:01:51

anonymous
The Mystery Member

Change Firefox's download folder and then try downloading the file again.

#6 2010-01-10 17:39:52

mrpeachy
20% cooler

this may be very basic... but go to firefox>edit>preferences>applications and make sure that the file type your trying to use is set to the right program by firefox.

and even though firefox seems to want you to search for an application each time to open a file , that "what do you want firefox to do with this file" window is lying!  if you select open with it will open with the default program, or whichever program you have selected despite not showing the program name next to the option

Last edited by mrpeachy (2010-01-10 17:41:08)

#7 2010-01-10 21:43:42

FiniteStateMachine
Part of the Machine

I understand you now, sorry about that. I usually get this error because firefox doesn't associate pcmanfm as the file manager. So if I want to go to my downloads folder via firefox, it gets all confused. All you need to do is locate pcmanfm (which i believe is in /usr/bin ?) and firefox will then happily default to pcmanfm for you.

That is to say, you should be prompted to select what you want to open with. If your not getting that option at all, you may have a problem.

just call me...
~FSM~

#8 2010-01-10 22:38:18

saneks
#! Die Hard

blackbinary: wicked,that last one worked.. first I associated a jpg with firefox, but then it would not work opening the folder of the file (cause all "files" were associated with FF, so folders were opened in the browser, but without r/w access probably). associating "files" with pcman worked at last. this way everything gets opened with the right program, incase the filetype is already predefined in pcmanfm. very very cool! thanks.

but then again I think the first post was probably a different problem.

Last edited by saneks (2010-01-10 22:39:45)

#9 2010-01-11 01:10:16

FiniteStateMachine
Part of the Machine

If you've got everything figured out, could you edit the title to include [solved] in there somewhere?
Otherwise, if you'd like more help with something, could you clarify the problem? (I couldn't really tell by your last post if everything was done or not)

Hope everything goes smoothly.

~Blackbinary.

just call me...
~FSM~

#10 2010-01-11 01:54:06

saneks
#! Die Hard

Yeah, I would if I could, but I did not open the thread smile - tone did.  I just thought I might have the same or similar problem, but now I guess it is a different one. But don't worry, I will post another thread with the solution for my problem, so everyone can find it more easily.

Board footer