SEARCH

Enter your search query in the box above ^, or use the forum search tool.

You are not logged in.

#1 2009-12-07 09:16:44

Born2Crawl

Is find_iso or iso-scan/filename boot parameter available in crunch?

Hello everyone.

Well, just subj: I want to be able to boot crunchbang along with Mint and WinPE from USB flash drive.
The good thing is that I didn't have to dump everything from ISO to USB, except for the kernel and initrd image.
I managed to do it using GRUB4DOS for Mint with iso-scan/filename parameter as follows:

title LinuxMint 8 Helena i386 (verbose)
kernel /casper/vmlinuz iso-scan/filename=/boot/LinuxMint-8.iso file=/cdrom/preseed/mint.seed boot=casper --
initrd=/casper/initrd.lz

As I've found, the parameter depends on the distro and can be as well find_iso, fromiso or whatever.

Anyway, I wasn't able to boot crunch from ISO image with any of these parameters. Is there any parameter allowing to do so?

UPD:
Well, actually it may be a problem of an unsupported filesystem on USB (tried both FAT and NTFS - I cannot use EXT2 or 3 due to booting WinPE).
Anyway, Ubuntu and Mint load OK sad

Last edited by Born2Crawl (2009-12-07 10:54:06)

Help fund CrunchBang, donate to the project!

#2 2009-12-07 11:14:52

evilgravedigger
#! Member

Re: Is find_iso or iso-scan/filename boot parameter available in crunch?

You can just install any ubuntu-based distro to a flash drive.
The only importasnt thing is to configure the boot loader:

advanced.png

Last edited by evilgravedigger (2009-12-07 11:15:15)

…the Linux philosophy is «laugh in the face of danger». Oops. Wrong one. «Do it yourself». That’s it.
Linus Torwalds
I'm back to crunchbang!  smile

#3 2009-12-07 11:21:09

ADcomp
Python Script Master
Website

Hello ..

if lupin-casper ( https://launchpad.net/lupin ) is not include in the initrd , you can't boot from ISO

David [aka] ADcomp

#4 2009-12-07 12:20:48

Born2Crawl

evilgravedigger wrote:

Yeah, thanks, I see. But this is not what I wanted to do. Booting directly from ISO lets you easily upgrade/replace/add distros on USB drive without any hassle, and saves a lot of disk space.

ADcomp, thank you. I'll see what I can do with initrd in this case. (Maybe just replace kernel and initrd  from Ubuntu? big_smile )

UPD:
Substitution of kernel and initrd from Ubuntu did not help, it left me in busybox console while loading sad

Last edited by Born2Crawl (2009-12-07 13:44:35)

#5 2010-09-13 13:18:55

Hypn0Toad

Born2Crawl wrote:
evilgravedigger wrote:

Yeah, thanks, I see. But this is not what I wanted to do. Booting directly from ISO lets you easily upgrade/replace/add distros on USB drive without any hassle, and saves a lot of disk space.

ADcomp, thank you. I'll see what I can do with initrd in this case. (Maybe just replace kernel and initrd  from Ubuntu? big_smile )

UPD:
Substitution of kernel and initrd from Ubuntu did not help, it left me in busybox console while loading sad

Hi, did you ever manage to do this in the end? I'm trying to do the exact same thing (boot #! from a USB stick from the ISO file using Grub4dos). I found that using the follow entry in menu.lst

title Run CrunchBang from USB DISK
find --set-root /images/crunchbang-9.04.01.i386.iso
map /images/crunchbang-9.04.01.i386.iso (0xff)
map --hook
root (0xff)
kernel /casper/vmlinuz file=/cdrom/preseed/custom.seed boot=casper persistent iso-scan/filename=/images/crunchbang-9.04.01.i386.iso splash
initrd /casper/initrd.gz

sort of works, it gets you to a command prompt at least, I did change the last line though from initrd.lz to initrd.gz which may be why things aren't working as they should be!

If anyone  has managed to do this and get the GUI up then please let me know. smile

Last edited by Hypn0Toad (2010-09-13 13:19:52)

Board footer