SEARCH

Enter your search query in the box above ^, or use the forum search tool.

You are not logged in.

#1 2009-11-30 22:32:48

evilgravedigger
#! Member

mini-HOWTO: root account

Do you want to use "su" or login as root (not recommended, actually)
Then just type

sudo passwd root

Then type root password you want.
Voila! big_smile

To disable it use

sudo passwd -l root

…the Linux philosophy is «laugh in the face of danger». Oops. Wrong one. «Do it yourself». That’s it.
Linus Torwalds
I'm back to crunchbang!  smile

Help fund CrunchBang, donate to the project!

#2 2009-12-01 00:28:14

pvsage
Internal Affairs

Re: mini-HOWTO: root account

Many *buntu users poo-poo setting a root password.  My response is "what if you have to login at the command line during a recovery mode boot?"  You *need* a root password to do this.

Thanks for sharing this with the forum.  Hopefully it will save a few frantic Google searches.

I'm a moderator here.  How are we doing?  Feedback is encouraged.

#3 2009-12-01 07:01:29

alon_h
#! Junkie

a micro-HOWTO big_smile

a.

#4 2009-12-02 06:40:53

elvishandrew

pvsage wrote:

Many *buntu users poo-poo setting a root password.  My response is "what if you have to login at the command line during a recovery mode boot?"  You *need* a root password to do this.

Thanks for sharing this with the forum.  Hopefully it will save a few frantic Google searches.

Maybe this is a stupid question, but wouldn't it make your system more insecure if you didn't have a root password?

This is a little off the mark, but the new jailbroken iphone vulgnerability comes to mind where a lot of users install openssh when they jailbreak their phone, but never set the default root password "alpine".

What are the real benifits of using sudo all the time? Because it keeps you authenticated for 15 minutes, you are more likely to have a fake root terminal laying open for anyone to screw with.

I guess the whole point of this rant is that I also agree it is a good idea to set a root password, and even to maybe get out of the habit of using sudo all the time.

I would love to hear someone else's opinion.
Thanks.

#5 2009-12-02 06:50:25

iggykoopa
Script Master

The reason not having  a root password enabled isn't a security risk is because it's not a blank password, it isn't set. So root login is disabled. If you know what your doing there's nothing wrong with having root enabled, and like you said it can actually be more secure. For noobs though the way ubuntu has it set up is more secure because a lot of new users that are used to UAC would probably say "How do I get rid of these annoying authentication popups?" and someone would invariably say "Just log on as root and they go away"

I say never be complete, I say stop being perfect, I say lets evolve, let the chips fall where they may.

#6 2009-12-02 07:09:34

elvishandrew

iggykoopa wrote:

The reason not having  a root password enabled isn't a security risk is because it's not a blank password, it isn't set. So root login is disabled. If you know what your doing there's nothing wrong with having root enabled, and like you said it can actually be more secure. For noobs though the way ubuntu has it set up is more secure because a lot of new users that are used to UAC would probably say "How do I get rid of these annoying authentication popups?" and someone would invariably say "Just log on as root and they go away"

Ahh, thank you for clarifying. Haha when I first started out I guess I would have probably just used root all the time. Now however, I enjoy having terminator split into multiple screens, with a red bash prompt for root and a green prompt for my normal login user, that way I do not mix the two up...

The beauty of growing up under a penguin's wing. haha

#7 2011-03-02 12:47:43

Erinsfan
#! CrunchBanger

Hi Kimm

Thanks for sharing information... I am also a new-ish member in this forum.

I'll share some info about "spam address removed". They'll post spam on a forum. If a Linux geek, especially a niche geek, is looking for beauty products I'll be more than amazed.

Of course, as you are spamming, it seems you don't appreciate the difference between Linux and UNIX nor do you likely care - not that they are that different per se but the level of geek is similar also. Hopefully, shortly, the admin will delete your post. Thanks for coming though.

The UNIX/Linux differences

Edit: quoted spam removed --omns

Enjoying a good !#

#8 2011-03-02 13:18:19

Awebb
The Singularity

It's a spambot. Stop quoting it. I allready reported the post.

I'm so meta, even this acronym

#9 2011-03-02 13:55:01

omns
#! wanderer

spam removed, user banned, offending post deleted smile

#10 2011-03-15 16:47:21

tradetaxfree
#! CrunchBanger

To get a root prompt you can also:

sudo -s