SEARCH

Enter your search query in the box above ^, or use the forum search tool.

You are not logged in.

#1 2009-08-24 18:39:35

iggykoopa
Script Master

Crunchbang theme installer

I noticed that lately more people have been having problems with theming #!, I had posted this gui a while back in a post that apperently got deleted. I'm going to repost here and if it's something people are interested in I can resume working on it. There didn't seem to be too much interest before so I had dropped it.
So for an explanation...Basically it will let you make a theme archive for #! that will install and apply gtk,openbox,mouse, and gdm themes all in one step. I was planning on adding fonts,conky, and tint2 as well and if we end up going to slim I could add slim themes. Anyway heres a screen of it:
tMjdqag

to use it go here http://www.box.net/files#0:f:26336418/crunch-themer and grab crunch-themer.py and crunch-themer.glade also grab the two themes there to test it. chmod +x crunch-themer.py then run crunch-themer.py (make sure the glade is in the same directory. Then go to File->open and select one of the themes, the one from kbang is better, mine was just a test. You can uncheck any of the boxs if you don't want that portion of the theme applied, then click apply. You may have to log out and restart X for the mouse theme to change. Right now there isn't an undo so you will have to manually change back if you don't like the theme. If people are insterested in it I'll post instructions on how to package your theme for it, it's not difficult but everything does need to go in the right place.

I say never be complete, I say stop being perfect, I say lets evolve, let the chips fall where they may.

Be excellent to each other!

#2 2009-08-24 19:14:09

jinnstar
#! CrunchBanger

Re: Crunchbang theme installer

I really like this idea and will be giving a twice over when I get home.

Roar!

#3 2009-08-24 19:32:20

Zwopper
The GIMP Pimp
Website

Looks good!
I'll sure give it a whirl ASAP.

My artwork at deviantART   |    My Tweet   | My upcoming web page
Crea diem!
Lenovo ThinkPad E320 | 8GB | 512GB Samsung 840 PRO SSD | Xubuntu 13.04 & #! Waldorf

#4 2009-08-25 01:44:53

aim
#! CrunchBanger

Downloading now to give it a go smile

EDIT: Can't DL it?

Last edited by aim (2009-08-25 01:47:10)

#5 2009-08-25 06:13:07

iggykoopa
Script Master

it should be set to public...if people have trouble with it I can just put it up on the pastebin when I get home from work.

I say never be complete, I say stop being perfect, I say lets evolve, let the chips fall where they may.

#6 2009-08-25 06:21:52

illumin8
#! Junkie
Website

This looks more like an answer than just an app.
This could simplify the whole themeing process for #!.
Pretty cool.

Website    500px     DeviantArt
God never ends anything on a negative; God always ends on a positive. -- Edwin Louis Cole --

#7 2009-08-25 09:50:29

craigh
#! CrunchBanger

Looks like a very good app, I will download it when it has been made public.

Running Crunchbang on eee pc 701 and Dell Mini 10v.

#8 2009-08-25 11:14:47

jinnstar
#! CrunchBanger

it's not public, it asks for a login, which I have no need for.

Roar!

#9 2009-08-25 13:18:57

iggykoopa
Script Master

ok I should be home in a few hours, I guess the people that downloaded it previously already had a box.net account.

#10 2009-08-25 17:30:59

iggykoopa
Script Master

here it is sorry had to do some stuff http://omploader.org/vMjdycQ

#11 2009-08-28 13:11:42

iggykoopa
Script Master

here is the newest crunch-themer.py http://crunchbanglinux.org/pastebin/326
here is crunch-themer.glade http://crunchbanglinux.org/pastebin/327
and here is a new theme I made http://omploader.org/vMjhnZA

it now has support for wallpapers, it may still have some bugs so let me know if anything doesn't work. Also changed it to install everything in your home directory instead of setting the theme globally. You need to run it as sudo though, because changing the gdm. If you want to make your own theme here is the basic layout:

theme directory
-preview.png(preview image)
-.gtkrc-2.0(used to set the font, gtk, and icon theme)
-conky-config(not used yet)
-gdm_theme
--your_gdm_theme_here
-gtk_theme
--your_gtk_theme_here
-icon_theme
--your_icon_theme_here
-mouse_theme
--your_mouse_theme_here
-ob_theme
--your_ob_theme_here(the directory not the theme you download, install the theme through obconf, then grab the directory from your ~/.themes folder)
-wallpaper_theme
--wallpaper.png(for right now you have to convert the wallpaper to a png and name it wallpaper, may change in the future)
--bg-saved.cfg(nitrogen config to set the wallpaper)

Just use my theme as an example to package your theme, it's not too hard once you figure it out. I'll try not to change the format so any themes you make now will work in the future. You will have to log out and restart X for all the changes to apply. Let me know what you guys think.

edit: forgot to mention all the themes that you put into yours(gtk,mouse, etc) are extracted...just grab the folder out of your .themes or .icons folder. Once the theme is set up compress it as tar.bz2

#12 2009-08-28 15:23:08

craigh
#! CrunchBanger

Is the Help>About menu meant to link to anything?

Running Crunchbang on eee pc 701 and Dell Mini 10v.

#13 2009-08-28 15:26:31

iggykoopa
Script Master

no, I put it there so I can add help in the future if I need it. If I decide to leave the help out then I'll take that option out of the gui later.

#14 2009-09-01 00:12:46

gruen
#! Member

iggykoopa, would you please post a step-by-step instruction how to use this application!?
I was playing with this for hours and the only result I've got was "Not a valid theme package"
Even with other valid theme files (.obt) I had no success... sad

Samsung N220 | Ubuntu 10.04 LTS | #! 11 "Waldorf" & Xfce
http://twitter.com/herrgruen

#15 2009-09-01 00:56:51

koral
#! Member

I like it. I think I will try to make a theme, if you describe it more detailed later.
Good aplication, thank you.

I guess previews should be a litle bit bigger, at least 800x600. Or 1024x768 in jpeg smile

Last edited by koral (2009-09-01 01:18:35)

There's just one kind of man than you can trust, that's a dead man. Or a gringo like me!

#16 2009-09-01 05:57:41

iggykoopa
Script Master

the preview can be whatever size you want to put in the theme package, I just sized it that way because I'm on a mini 9. If it is way to small on larger monitors I could see about having it resize the image based on your monitor resolution.

gruen: you have to use one of the theme packages I included, there are three so far...two are here http://omploader.org/vMjdycQ and one here http://omploader.org/vMjhnZA the test one though isn't very good, the last one I made is what I'm using now so I think it's good wink. to install just go to the directory you put the glade and py file in and
./crunchthemer.py (if your not installing the gdm theme)
or
sudo ./crunchthemer.py(if you are installing gdm theme)
I'll try to clean up the code tonight so you don't have to use sudo at all.

koral: I'll post step by step instructions on building a theme tonight too, it's not too bad once you figure it out. I may add a theme builder into the gui once I get the code cleaned up a little better. It's kinda sloppy now.

#17 2009-11-05 12:48:49

arpinux
#! Die Hard
Website

hi iggy, (just discovered this topic, don't blame me wink  )
very good script, in the same spirit, everytime i make a config, i also make a script pointing to wall,conky,tint or whatever i use for my config, and a screenshot of the config.
at the end, i've installed xfce4-panel just to 'switch' between configs i've made (one launcher, one script, one config) and what it looks like (of course, the panel auto-hide):
capturesi.png
unlike your script, i don't modify gtk or icons themes but i'm going to add those features to my config.
so, thanks for sharing your app, it completes perfectly my setup big_smile

Board footer