SEARCH

Enter your search query in the box above ^, or use the forum search tool.

You are not logged in.

#1 2009-08-10 18:09:01

brjoon1021

Is slim much lighter than gdm or kdm ?

I installed Jaunty from scratch (minimal install CD) for the first time, but I wimped out a little and installed gdm and gnome-core to make it familiar and quicker. I want to make another partition and start from scratch again but using lighter software - probably lxde and/or iceWM. Some of the Linux for old computer sites imply that slim is significantly lighter to warrant using it instead of gdm or kdm.

Is that so ?

If so, would I be able to select at login whether to use iceWM or lxde (assumeing they are both installed, of course) as one can do with gdm or kdm ?

Thanks,
B

Be excellent to each other!

#2 2009-08-10 18:21:53

Awebb
The Singularity

Re: Is slim much lighter than gdm or kdm ?

I'm not sure if this is contra productive... but we had an interesting discussion about slim/gdm a while ago: http://crunchbanglinux.org/forums/topic … dm-issues/

I'm so meta, even this acronym

#3 2009-08-10 19:04:46

snowpine
#!-a-roo

Yo B, you can switch windows managers in slim by pressing F1... but they need to be listed in your /etc/slim.conf.

/hugged

#4 2009-08-10 19:09:37

anonymous
The Mystery Member

The Arch wiki has good info on configuring SLiM:

http://wiki.archlinux.org/index.php/SLI … vironments

#5 2009-08-10 20:28:04

iggykoopa
Script Master

I've been running slim on karmic for a little while now, it works well and is really easy to theme.

I say never be complete, I say stop being perfect, I say lets evolve, let the chips fall where they may.

#6 2009-08-10 23:25:46

jinnstar
#! CrunchBanger

Are there any advantages to running slim vs booting into command line and using startx?  I'm keen the idea of no login manager, however is there any advantage to having one?

Toshiba NB205 | Asus Transformer Prime | Epic Touch 4g

#7 2009-08-11 00:13:28

Awebb
The Singularity

jinnstar wrote:

Are there any advantages to running slim vs booting into command line and using startx?  I'm keen the idea of no login manager, however is there any advantage to having one?

with login manager:
type username <enter>
type password <enter>

without login manager:
type username <enter>
type password <enter>
type startx <enter>  <- you need longer to type this than the exta time gdm or slim might need to show up

that's 1/3 of the steps eleminated that you need to boot into X big_smile

gdm has some nice features, you can reboot and shutdown without admin rights, you can do a fast user switch without having to worry about a seperate xserver per user and it has a XDMPC client built in. If you have multiple WMs installed, you don't have to change your xinitrc everytime you want to use another WM.

It depends on what you do. If you're the only one using that pc with only one WM, it might be ok to login+startx or if you prefer working at tty1 and only startx if you need it. Of course, gdm is nothing more but some cool scripts you can start with your mouse instead of typing them.

But in fact, while playing around with arch linux, I found the lack of a default login manager usefull, since the method logon+startx gave me a way to debug stuff that didn't work.

Summary:
° looks nice
° use your mouse
° feature/security-threat hybrid of shutdown/reboot without sudo
° fast user switching

I personally prefer graphical login, since it's cheap eye candy. It's 2009 and I'm not running a ZX81 anymore...

#8 2009-08-11 00:46:23

jinnstar
#! CrunchBanger

Awebb wrote:

that's 1/3 of the steps eleminated that you need to boot into X big_smile

LOL tongue

fair enough. After having a really crap notebook for a while, I've become resource miserly. With my current notebook I don't truly need to shave off a few mbs of ram but it's like an instinct  lol.

I'm currently using slim which is about as simple as it gets for login, but sit on the fence on what I'm going to stick with.

Toshiba NB205 | Asus Transformer Prime | Epic Touch 4g

#9 2009-08-11 02:09:05

hailukahh
#! Member

Awebb wrote:

without login manager:
type username <enter>
type password <enter>
type startx <enter>  <- you need longer to type this than the exta time gdm or slim might need to show up

You can actually autologin without a display manager.  There's a few different methods I've found through google.  I've tried it to get a faster bootup, but login can't happen until after everything has started, whereas gdm starts much earlier in the boot process.

As for the multiple WM problem either create aliases such as startob, startflux, startdwm, etc., or use a case statement in .xinitc.  Damnsmalllinux made good use of the latter.

<'(((><  I am not ashamed of the gospel, because it is the  ><)))'>
<'(((><  power of God, the salvation of everyone who believes.  ><)))'>

EeePC 900a : #! 9.04 : Atom 1.60 GHz : 1 GB RAM : 4 GB SSD

#10 2009-08-11 11:22:57

Awebb
The Singularity

jinnstar wrote:

I don't truly need to shave off a few mbs of ram but it's like an instinct  lol.

Same here, my notebook runs well with compiz and so on, but I love seeing <200mb ram consumed after boot big_smile

@hailukahh: You're absolutely right. Like I said: Graphical login screens basically are a set of scripts arranged in a GUI so you can click instead of typing.

#11 2009-08-11 11:48:36

ADcomp
Python Script Master
Website

Awebb wrote:

[..] If you have multiple WMs installed, you don't have to change your xinitrc everytime you want to use another WM.

You can select another WM from Slim .. just add entry in your config file ( /etc/slim.conf ) :

sessions            default,wimpiggy-session,startxfce4,jwm,icewm-session,fvwm-crystal,antico-deluxe,gnome-session,fvwm2

Work fine for me .. wink

David [aka] ADcomp

#12 2009-08-11 11:50:30

Awebb
The Singularity

ADcomp wrote:
Awebb wrote:

[..] If you have multiple WMs installed, you don't have to change your xinitrc everytime you want to use another WM.

You can select another WM from Slim .. just add entry in your config file ( /etc/slim.conf ) :

sessions            default,wimpiggy-session,startxfce4,jwm,icewm-session,fvwm-crystal,antico-deluxe,gnome-session,fvwm2

Work fine for me .. wink

I know. We were talking about no login manager vs. login manager. A bit offtopic, I know... big_smile

#13 2009-08-11 11:53:57

ADcomp
Python Script Master
Website

Awebb wrote:

I know. We were talking about no login manager vs. login manager. A bit offtopic, I know... big_smile

shame on me .. neutral  I read too quickly  smile

David [aka] ADcomp

#14 2009-08-11 15:39:06

astrocisco
#! Member

Hello friends!
Awebb wrote:

Summary:
° looks nice
° use your mouse
° feature/security-threat hybrid of shutdown/reboot without sudo
° fast user switching

I personally prefer graphical login, since it's cheap eye candy. It's 2009 and I'm not running a ZX81 anymore...

I agree with you. That's why I returned to a graphical login manager smile.

A+ Francis.

#15 2009-08-18 08:49:55

dobbs

Hi #! guys !!

I have an issue with Slim login manager : the openbox sessions doesn't  seem to launch my autostart.sh, since i have no tint2 panel, nor conky, etc., and i keep the slim wallpaper.
I installed slim from the repo to see if it hangs at login the way gdm sometimes does.

Do you have that issue and can you tell me how to fix it ?

Thanks a lot !

#16 2009-08-18 09:24:24

iggykoopa
Script Master

Mine seems to launch fine, the only issue I have is openbox-session is the first choice, but it still defaults to gnome unless I press F1. Did you already make sure everything in your slim.conf is correct?

I say never be complete, I say stop being perfect, I say lets evolve, let the chips fall where they may.

#17 2009-08-20 16:08:33

dobbs

Thanks for the help !

In fact in slim.conf, without any other modification to the  ~/.xinitrc or .Xsession, it should be :

openbox-session    instead of     openbox

in the sessions names.

I'm moving on a multi session system wide .xinitrc now.

Thanks a lot for your guidance  ! Have a good #!  !!

#18 2010-07-15 03:05:38

xj9578cd

jinnstar wrote:

I usually do startx without a login manager or anything. I imagine that login managers and such make the desktop run slower take up memory and CPU as some kind of background processes.

I usually use Debian Lenny with Xmonad, but recently I really wanted some updated software, so I switched to Crunchbang. I am finding that startx is not working right especially with xmonad rather than openbox.  Not sure why. Considering Sidux again. I like crunchbang, but startx is not working right with my xinitrc file. Dont know what is wrong but it worked good in Debian lenny for many months. Might even go back to Lenny. I generally go back to Debian after trying others. Debian starts to feel stuffy though with its outdated software! I get claustrophobic.

#19 2010-07-15 03:19:31

anonymous
The Mystery Member

@xj9578cd - do you get an error or something? You did disable or get get rid of GDM, right? Whats the contents of your .xinitrc?

BTW if you don't like Debian (Stable's) outdated software, you could try its testing or unstable branches.

#20 2010-07-15 03:27:38

AnInkedSoul
#! CrunchBanger

xj9578cd wrote:

I imagine that login managers and such make the desktop run slower take up memory and CPU as some kind of background processes.

GDM stays active in the background and uses about 1.8mb of memory....never seen it register anything using top to measure. That is even light enough for me... wink

Debian starts to feel stuffy though with its outdated software!

http://backports.org/

Board footer