SEARCH

Enter your search query in the box above ^, or use the forum search tool.

You are not logged in.

#1 2008-12-21 00:37:07

scottro
#! Member
Website

Crunchbang on the Acer Aspire One (160 GB version)

Well, my wife got back with my AA1 today, so it was time to take #! for a spin.
Using Unetbootin, I put the Lite edition on a USB, booted up, and everything was pretty much as expected.  When I went to install, I had the same slightly odd issue I had on my Acer 4720z.  The first time, it saw no partitions. So, I rebooted, tried again and this time it saw the hard drive. 

The install went normally.  Upon booting, sound worked, wireless didn't, which was also expected. As I've mentioned (and probably others have as well) Ubuntu made a decision to not include the ath5k module in Intrepid.
(The logic is that those who are upgrading from Hardy are probably already using MadWifi, which has an ath_pci module that conflicts with the ath5k module.) This was quickly fixed by installing linux-modules-generic-intrepid. 
After that, it ran without problems.

I don't know if it was noticeably quicker than the usual Ubuntu version, but it was fine.  (Somewhat heretically, I install fluxbox and use that as my window manager.  Yes, I could install the command line version of Ubuntu and do it all myself, but it's much quicker using the preconfigured crunchbang sound, plugins, etc.)

(It works well with OpenBox too, after all the effort I went to to make an rc.xml without typos, I take that for a test drive too.)

So...

all in all, it's fine on the AA1 hard drive version, one just has to install the wireless module, either using MadWifi or the backports package.

I didn't do much with the webcam, I just installed luvcview and ran it.  It's not very smooth (nor is it smooth with any distro, it's a low quality camera.  However, it works.  <shrug>.

Help fund CrunchBang, donate to the project!

#2 2008-12-21 08:06:03

corenominal
WRONG
Website

Re: Crunchbang on the Acer Aspire One (160 GB version)

Thank you for sharing your experience with CrunchBang and your Acer Aspire One. The AA1 is the only netbook I have managed to actually have a play with, albeit briefly in a store. I liked it, it was nice and compact and very light, so much so that I managed to trigger the store alarm when I was handling it. roll Anyhow, thank you again, it is good to know that CrunchBang runs okay on the machine. smile

#3 2008-12-21 22:56:29

omns
#! wanderer

I hope this thread grows like the eeepc one. These netbooks seem to be a really nice fit with #!crunchbang smile

#4 2008-12-22 00:41:07

scottro
#! Member
Website

The trouble is that there's not that much to say about it.  It Just Works(TM) except for the wireless card, which is trivial.  That shouldn't even have been an issue save for what I consider a poor decision by Ubuntu to leave out the ath5k module.  To make it more annoying, for anyone trying Jaunty, the backports package isn't yet available for Jaunty--or it was, and the first update made it stop working, I forget the exact details.

#5 2009-01-21 11:35:30

nolan-

Hi everyone!

I have an AA1 (120gb hd and 1.5gb ram)
Saw CRUNCHBANG on distrowatch and thought it was just what my AA1 needed! Downloaded 8.10.02 and installed. Have to say everything (so far) works, even wireless. I haven't had to alter anything from clean install! I have tried LOTS of different distro's on my AA1 but I am really liking CrunchBang. Excellent work big_smile

I have never tried Openbox before or messed around with Conky so i'm off to play smile

#6 2009-01-21 15:37:36

corenominal
WRONG
Website

Hello nolan- and welcome to the forums smile I am really pleased to read that you are really liking CrunchBang on your AA1. Good luck with the playing/experimenting/customising and I hope to see you about the place some more. Please do not hesitate to post if you have any questions. smile

#7 2009-01-22 02:46:07

thread

Hello #!! I installed 0.1 on my new 160Gb AAO about one week ago now, and I'm having a great time using linux again after about the past year where I was using the MacBook Pro provided by my employer pretty much exclusively as my main machine.

I did find a couple of things that needed to be resolved, though.

Problem: When I plug in my headphones, the internal speaker does not mute.
Solution: The ACL268 in my AAO requires some quirk code. I believe it is first added in the 1.0.18 version of the alsa kernel modules or kernel 2.6.28+. Should it not auto-detect your chip, you are to add "options snd-hda-intel model=acer-aspire" to /etc/modprobe.d/alsa-base.

Problem: When I upgraded my packages (it worked when I first installed!) I lost hardware acceleration.
Solution: It appeared that chmod 666 /dev/dri/card0 fixed it temporarily...

glxinfo | grep OpenGL reported that my renderer was Software Rasterization. I had glx, but it was software emulated -- totally unworkable performance. The solution was to make a /etc/udev/rules.d/60-card.rules that read

KERNEL=="card[0-9]", MODE="0666", GROUP="video", OWNER="root"

That fixed the permissions on boot. However, performance is still not as it could be. In chatting with leak in #kukilinux (a dev for the distro... which aims to be an AAO-ready ubuntu-based distro) he walked me through examining /proc/mtrr and devising a script that would "fix" the apparently buggy mtrr registers in my AAO. (His was slightly different at least because he only had 512M ram and have 1G)

By doing this, I was able to enhance performance even further. I still get the message "Failed to initialize GEM.  Falling back to classic." in STDERR first thing when I run glxinfo or glxgears. I understand getting GEM will increase my performance further yet.

I guess I'll share the "script" I have and the the desired mtrr register output. My /etc/init.d/fix_mtrr.sh reads:

#!/bin/sh
echo "disable=0" >| /proc/mtrr
echo "disable=4" >| /proc/mtrr
echo "base=0x000000000 size=0x40000000 type=write-back" >| /proc/mtrr
echo "base=0x040000000 size=0x10000000 type=write-combining" >| /proc/mtrr

It is executable, and to make it run early in boot-up, I have a symlink with a very early number in /etc/rcS.d going to it. Now, here is what leak tells me the "correct" output of cat /proc/mtrr should look like:

reg00: base=0x00000000 (   0MB), size=1024MB: write-back, count=1
reg01: base=0xfffc0000 (4095MB), size= 128KB: uncachable, count=1
reg02: base=0x00000000 (   0MB), size= 512MB: write-back, count=1
reg03: base=0x20000000 ( 512MB), size= 512MB: write-back, count=1
reg04: base=0x40000000 (1024MB), size= 256MB: write-combining, count=1
reg05: base=0x3f600000 (1014MB), size=   2MB: uncachable, count=1
reg06: base=0x3f500000 (1013MB), size=   1MB: uncachable, count=1
reg07: base=0x00000000 (   0MB), size= 128KB: uncachable, count=1

I had some bit in the first (reg00) register that was like unwriteable or read-only or something... that was bad, I guess.

Unsolved Problem: xdpyinfo |grep resolu reports 58x135 dots per inch, a certain font a few web pages I've seen use and the quake3 installer (I bet it's gtk1 -- my gtk2 apps are fine) have vertically stretched, very difficult to read fonts, and gstreamer (totem-gstreamer and miro) have vertically stretched video.
Solution: I fixed gstreamer with identity ! xvimagesink pixel-aspect-ratio=1/1 in my custom video default output in gstreamer-properties, but it's only a bandaid. Someone in #gstreamer gave me the "identity !" hint and explained that because my video driver is broked somehow, it wasn't remembering my setting despite the preview indicating that my option fixed the aspect ratio.

I have yet to figure out how to affect those 58x135 numbers.

Woohoo linux is fun. \o/

I'm sure with time, these quirks will be learned and linux will make these experiences seamless again... but I guess at over 6 months since this netbook was released we're still not quite there.

Cheers to the #! users and devs!

Last edited by thread (2009-01-22 04:12:37)

#8 2009-01-22 21:09:23

thread

Oooh I just found on OSNews that Phoronix is reporting that Mesa 7.3 has just been announced that includes GEM support for our Intel chips!

http://www.phoronix.com/scan.php?page=a … a_73&num=1

#9 2009-01-22 21:43:55

nolan-

corenominal wrote:

Hello nolan- and welcome to the forums smile I am really pleased to read that you are really liking CrunchBang on your AA1. Good luck with the playing/experimenting/customising and I hope to see you about the place some more. Please do not hesitate to post if you have any questions. smile

Thanks!
I am loving it here in the forums, very friendly, informative and at times hilarious! It's a nice place to be smile

Board footer