SEARCH

Enter your search query in the box above ^, or use the forum search tool.

You are not logged in.

#1 2012-11-03 16:41:14

Alain

Crunchbang Loneliness

I have been using Crunchbang for a little bit now and about two weeks ago, I was pleased to configure it exactly how I like it. This is a problem because now I don't know how to kill the time I was using playing with the text files. My question is, once you get the configuration the way you like it, what do you guys spend most of your time doing?

I have gotten used to navigating through the file system with the terminal and do my installs and such from it. Where should I go next? Scripts, pipemenus, configuring a home server...?

Be excellent to each other!

#2 2012-11-03 16:46:15

lcafiero
The #! Guy
Website

Re: Crunchbang Loneliness

Alain wrote:

My question is, once you get the configuration the way you like it, what do you guys spend most of your time doing?

Hang out in the forums and post things, mostly big_smile

But I am usually never finished tweaking CrunchBang -- that's just me saying to myself, when I have time, "What if I do this . . .?" -- and it's always a nice trip to visit pages like the Conky thread or the Artwork and Screenshot thread to see what others are doing with their Conky and windows managers. A lot of great tips and tricks live there.

And then there's always getting some work done, too, using this great distro on my hardware . . . .

Res publica non dominetur | Larry the CrunchBang Guy speaks of the pompetous of CrunchBang

CrunchBang Forum moderator

#3 2012-11-03 16:53:57

Alain

This is what my system looks like right now cool Hope you guys like it.

Current Crunchbang Configuration

#4 2012-11-03 16:57:27

Alain

lcafiero wrote:
Alain wrote:

My question is, once you get the configuration the way you like it, what do you guys spend most of your time doing?

Hang out in the forums and post things, mostly big_smile

But I am usually never finished tweaking CrunchBang -- that's just me saying to myself, when I have time, "What if I do this . . .?" -- and it's always a nice trip to visit pages like the Conky thread or the Artwork and Screenshot thread to see what others are doing with their Conky and windows managers.

Don't you miss the excitement of starting all over again? I am just sad that I love this distro so much and it is so stable that I won't have to really go through the whole process in a long time, which it is a good thing! (Thank you Debian and Corenorminal smile)

#5 2012-11-03 16:59:52

joek
#! Junkie

I write the essay which I spend the weekend putting off while I tweak my #!...
Not, perhaps, the best time management at university, but meh.

#6 2012-11-03 17:00:25

machinebacon
#! unstable
Website

Install another window manager for a change (Openbox will stay anyway) and play around with its configs. Tilers are a good starting point, and if you want to dive into customization hell, choose fvwm-crystal

#7 2012-11-03 17:01:24

gutterslob
#! Resident Bum

Alain wrote:

Uhm, how about getting actual work done? :-/ 
You could always just chill by posting here, I suppose.

Alain wrote:

This is what my system looks like right now. Hope you guys like it.

There are monthly screenshot threads for those. Check out the Artwork & Screenshots section of the forum. You might want to use smaller thumbnails in future, though.

Point & Squirt

#8 2012-11-03 17:03:56

lcafiero
The #! Guy
Website

Alain wrote:

Don't you miss the excitement of starting all over again?

In a word, no big_smile I do take the time and effort to wipe my disk and reinstall every time there's a new version released, though.

Also, about your screenshot -- very, very cool. Bond, James Bond. You should post it here:

http://crunchbang.org/forums/viewtopic.php?id=22766

Also, again, bear in mind that we have a guide to make your pics smaller on the forums, which lives here:

http://crunchbang.org/forums/viewtopic.php?id=2008

Res publica non dominetur | Larry the CrunchBang Guy speaks of the pompetous of CrunchBang

CrunchBang Forum moderator

#9 2012-11-03 17:14:07

Alain

gutterslob wrote:

Uhm, how about getting actual work done? :-/ 
You could always just chill by posting here, I suppose.

Getting work done is always an alternative but I use crunchbang as a escape from the work laptop with windows installed that I dread to use every weekday. Chilling in this forum is definitely a pleasure, I spend a little while over here, even though I don't post that much.

gutterslob wrote:

There are monthly screenshot threads for those. Check out the Artwork & Screenshots section of the forum. You might want to use smaller thumbnails in future, though.

Sorry about that!

joek wrote:

I write the essay which I spend the weekend putting off while I tweak my #!...
Not, perhaps, the best time management at university, but meh.

I know what you mean, graduated in May and studying for my CPA... Playing with my config is a lot better!

machinebacon wrote:

Install another window manager for a change (Openbox will stay anyway) and play around with its configs. Tilers are a good starting point, and if you want to dive into customization hell, choose fvwm-crystal

Yes!!! This is my kind of fun big_smile I gotta check this!!

#10 2012-11-03 17:31:21

xaos52
The Good Doctor

You could dive into emacs.  smile
That should keep you busy for some time.
It is more an OS than an editor. You can do almost anything from within emacs without file manager, mail reader, etc... both in a console session as under X.

#11 2012-11-03 17:38:41

junkie
#! Junkie

^+1 for emacs

30 window managers in 30 days
- http://crunchbang.org/forums/viewtopic.php?id=18273

Debain Handbook
- http://debian-handbook.info/browse/stable/

Board footer