SEARCH

Enter your search query in the box above ^, or use the forum search tool.

You are not logged in.

#1 2012-11-03 05:06:36

mardybear

windows network browsing using thunar...

Hi #! users...

Does #!'s version of thunar allow for samba network browsing with windows computers, similar to gnome2 in the older distrubutions of Ubuntu? Other than installing/configuring samba, is anything else required, such as thunar plugins, additional packages or configurations?

Thanks in advance,

mardybear

Help fund CrunchBang, donate to the project!

#2 2012-11-03 05:09:44

mardybear

Re: windows network browsing using thunar...

sorry...meant to say similar to nautilus in older Ubuntus.

As per #!'s website, 'updated Waldorf images Thunar should now startup without delay. This addresses a long standing issue with Thunar whereby under certain conditions it would pause whilst waiting to automount network filesystems'.

Does that mean waldorf now provides seamless out of the box windows networking?

mardybear

#3 2012-11-03 07:47:22

mynis01
#! Die Hard

As long as you have thunar installed and gvfs-backends, it should work. You might also need to play around with /usr/share/gvfs/mounts/network.mount. If that doesn't work, then you could always just use gigolo.

Last edited by mynis01 (2012-11-03 07:58:50)

#4 2012-11-03 12:27:34

brontosaurusrex
#! Red Menace

not sure what is required, but i can see my two wdtv players using their smb://ip.ad.re.ss easily.

#5 2012-11-03 13:19:31

Neil
#! CrunchBanger

I have not been able to get it working on any previous version of #!, nor with Waldorf.  I don't know what the difference is, but I have Windows share browsing in Thunar on my Xubuntu machine, but with the same settings on #!, it just doesn't work.  Hope some one can post a step-by-step process for setting Thunar up on #! so we can get this (important to me) feature working.

#6 2012-11-03 15:21:38

saturn9

Works fine for me just clicking on the network in Thunar. Sometimes takes a couple of attempts but connects ok. Can't recall install any packages to make it work.

#7 2012-11-03 18:09:27

Neil
#! CrunchBanger

Clicking on "network" in Thunar eventually displays the other computers on my network, but if I try to browse files on any of them, I get "Failed to retrieve share list from server".

#8 2012-11-03 19:17:09

xaos52
The Good Doctor

Perhaps this works for you?
I have not tested this myself for lack of windows shares.

#9 2012-11-03 23:30:25

mardybear

Thanks for the responses....

It still surprises me that most linux distrubutions can't connect to windows shares out of the box, as modern computing relies on networking and most home and office environments use windows-based systems.

My experience is similar...i typically see linux forums with responses along the line of it 'should' work and 'it depends' or 'i can see the windows share but can't connect' or just install gigolo or pyneighborhood. I don't see the point in installing/running multiple software apps just to complete some simple networking.

Ubuntu gets bashed quite a bit but my older installs, which are based on the gnome2 desktop and nautilus file manager, are better for network browsing than most 'modern' linux disributions sad

It's frustrating for beginner or moderate linux users, who don't think they should give up most of a weekend just to connect a couple of computers or automount a usb device, etc (add your problem here)...

mardybear

Board footer