SEARCH

Enter your search query in the box above ^, or use the forum search tool.

You are not logged in.

#1 2012-10-27 15:39:06

dura
Bloated Gimp

4OD on New Waldorf Install to Dell 1525, and flash more generally...

Hi, we have another new user! -I just installed Waldorf on my girlfriend's dell 1525. The install was blazingly fast- about 5 mins - and everything seems to work out of the box.

This machine, when running mint 13 xfce suffered from quite severe heating problems, and the battery is completely trashed through years of use and abuse.

It is now running silently next to me, nice and cool, when with mint 13 it usually makes a lot of fan noise, and would burn to touch at times (power regression, but no i915, right?).

My big test for heating, etc., is running Channel4's 4OD online television service. But, as on my Waldorf on my x121e, I cannot get it playing! I'm sure I have had it working once when I first installed it on my own machine- at the moment I'm running iceweasel.

I'm thinking 4OD runs the horrible shockwave flash.

Can anyone get 4OD playing? She just uses the dell 1525 for watching telly really, and another machine for production, so its ok to mess about with it.

Help is much appreciated! smile

Edit: I just installed chrome (yep, urgh, but it comes with extra tidbits), and it still wont play (just plays the adverts and then stops). It also seems that chrome makes it run a lot hotter- I guess because chrome treats each tab as a separate app or something...?)

Last edited by dura (2012-10-28 11:30:11)

Help fund CrunchBang, donate to the project!

#2 2012-10-27 16:33:18

dura
Bloated Gimp

Re: 4OD on New Waldorf Install to Dell 1525, and flash more generally...

I read on an ubuntu forum discussing the same issue that registration for 4OD might be the problem. But I've registered, signed in and out, and nothing changes.

Anyone else experience this, or got it fixed?

#3 2012-10-28 11:28:22

dura
Bloated Gimp

I guess most people can't use 4od anywhere here.

My problem is a more general issue with running the latest flash on linux. I thought installing chromium or chrome would remedy it, but still no dice.

There is always tv-catchup via rasbmc I have set up on a raspberry pi, but its not really a solution.

#4 2013-03-14 07:51:13

fraser

I realise it is sometime since the OP but I stumbled on this post after having the same issue.

I got it working by installing hal

sudo apt-get install hal hal-info

I then re installed the flash player

sudo apt-get install flashplugin-nonfree --reinstall

Everything seems to be working AOK with it.

As a bonus - once you have singed in the first time you can use the 'AdBlock Plus' extension in iceweasel - thus totally removing all the adverts. add breaks, from the programs  and site...so it is like bbc iPlayer smile
If you need to sign back in to 4od (cleared cache, etc) simply disable 'AdBlock Plus', then log-in, then enable 'AdBlock Plus' again.

Anyhow, hope that helps anyone else who comes across this.

Last edited by fraser (2013-03-14 08:07:44)

The early bird catches the worm...but it is the second mouse that gets the cheese.

Board footer