SEARCH

Enter your search query in the box above ^, or use the forum search tool.

You are not logged in.

#1 2012-10-19 18:32:47

jmad2011
#! Junkie

How To - Easy mkv to mp4 without re-encode

this will be a basic howto on converting mkv container to mp4 without a full re-encode

First you will need to add the deb-multimedia repo to the last line of  /etc/apt/sources.list

sudo nano /etc/apt/sources.list 

Squeeze "stable":

deb http://www.deb-multimedia.org squeeze main non-free

Wheezy "testing":

deb http://www.deb-multimedia.org wheezy main non-free

Sid "unstable"

deb http://www.deb-multimedia.org sid main non-free

Then run this command after you add repo to  /etc/apt/sources.list 

sudo apt-get update

After you have added the repo and update your sources you can the run 

sudo apt-get install avidemux

after it installs you u can add it to your menu or can run it from terminal with:

avidemux

1. Open avidemux and open the mkv you want to convert. it'll probbly say something  about 264 and safemode, just use safe mode and dont worry about it.

2.Select File -> Properties. This will tell you some info on the formats in use in your video file. Take this opportunity to identify what the xbox doesn’t like. When you are finished, click OK. If you want a second opinion, open up the folder with your mkv in it. Right click -> properties -> Audio/Video tab. This will also tell you the video and audio formats.

3.know that it wont play a video in a MKV container, so first thing to do is change the “Format” dropdown to say “MP4″ (you can, of course use AVI, but the majority of files I run into are h.264 and aac audio and mp4 i think is better for this.

4.From the Properties menu, recall the video codec. H264 files show as “AVC1″ inside of avidemux. I’m sure theres a technical reason for this, but do you want to talk about it or watch your video?
Most of the time, you can leave the video droptown in avidemux on “Copy” this is nice because it means that your processor wont be re-encoding the video. This saves you quality and time.
From the properties menu, recall the audio codec. If you have a video with AAC stereo audio, leave the dropdown on “copy”.
This is where most of my files need some love. Many MKV’s have 5.1 surround audio tracks. This is great, but not for an xbox360. To mix the audio down to stereo, select AAC on the audio dropdown, then click “filters”. In the mixer dropdown, select “stereo”. Click “save”. Avidemux will prompt you for a filename for the converted file. It does not default a file extension, so do yourself and your xbox a favor and add one yourself like “<videoname>.mp4″.

Say your prayer's,Eat your vitamins....AND WHAT YOU GONNA DO BROTHA

Be excellent to each other!

#2 2012-10-19 20:06:54

VastOne
#! Ranger
Website

Re: How To - Easy mkv to mp4 without re-encode

Very nice How To jmad2011!  I have added it to Quick References.. I also change the title a bit to match what is in the References...

Well done!  cool

VSIDO | Words That Build Or Destroy

We do not run from challenges, they become new innovations within VSIDO!

#3 2012-10-19 21:42:42

jmad2011
#! Junkie

VastOne wrote:

Very nice How To jmad2011!  I have added it to Quick References.. I also change the title a bit to match what is in the References...

Well done!  cool

Thanks i know i spent awhile looking for something like this without losing video quality and it helps for those not comfortable with command line

Say your prayer's,Eat your vitamins....AND WHAT YOU GONNA DO BROTHA

#4 2012-10-19 22:25:08

lwfitz
#! Die Hard
Website

Thank you! Ill be using this tonight when I get home big_smile

#5 2013-02-27 08:08:33

km00
#! CrunchBanger

Very nice! Jotting down for future use.