SEARCH

Enter your search query in the box above ^, or use the forum search tool.

You are not logged in.

#1 2012-10-17 01:13:11

justcallmecrash

XFCE version, please!

I don't know about everybody else, but I sure do miss the XFCE edition.  I'm still running the last one you ever did because I love #!, but I'm not a huge fan of Open/Black/Fluxbox.  I've tried other XFCE distros (and even put XFCE on my #!), but it's just not the same.
Anybody with me?

Help fund CrunchBang, donate to the project!

#2 2012-10-17 01:24:21

mikhou
#! CrunchBanger

Re: XFCE version, please!

I used to be like you, and I was running #! XFCE.  But after using #! XFCE for over a year, I decided to start playing with Fluxbox so I added it over #! XFCE.  Then when Waldorf came out, I just decided to try Openbox for awhile and now I love it.  I just find that minimalism suits me more than a full-blown DE.  So would it be nice to have an XFCE version?  Sure.  Would I use it now?  Probably not.

mikhou

Last edited by mikhou (2012-10-17 01:28:48)

#3 2012-10-17 01:44:02

merelyjim
#! Die Hard
Website

Love Xfce, and really got hooked on it because of #! (Back in the days of Gnome2 - yeah, I'm old.)

You can still have a very Debian Xfce experience by pulling down [sudo apt-get xfce4], but still draw from Stadler/Waldorf repos...

Lately, though, I figured out how freakin' hackable Openbox is! Really brings back the concept of everything is a text-file.

There was a point when the cb-welcome script would as if you wanted either Openbox or Xfce when you had downloaded the other. I'd welcome that back, even if I don't need it.

Last edited by merelyjim (2012-10-17 01:45:00)

"When I enter a command... I expect ass to be hauled and the coffeelike aroma of hustle delicately hovering in the air." -thalassophile

My attempt at a blog; http://waitingonragnarok.blogspot.com/

#4 2012-10-17 01:49:03

omns
#! wanderer

I have to admit there was/is no greater Xfce fan than me but CrunchBang is what it is and will probably always be Openbox. I marvel at what Philip does with it. I rarely hack at it these days because it's so good smile

That said we can always hope for a Waldorf Xfce miracle wink big_smile

#5 2012-10-17 01:52:43

VastOne
#! Ranger
Website

I use Xfce4 and as merelyjim said it is incredibly easy to install it, and is no different than the original.

VSIDO | Words That Build Or Destroy

We do not run from challenges, they become new innovations within VSIDO!

#6 2012-10-17 02:18:45

merelyjim
#! Die Hard
Website

I don't know...
Xfce makes all sorts of changes for you. Openbox makes you figure it out, modify it, edit an xml-file yourself.
I only recently found the stones to edit menu.xml without fear of killing the system.
This morning, I reset the clock to; tint2, #Clock, time1_format = %F %T
If I hadn't been playing with the CLI -date, I would have just been another Windows user.
#! has made me grow as a Linux-user. Openbox may push me even further.

"When I enter a command... I expect ass to be hauled and the coffeelike aroma of hustle delicately hovering in the air." -thalassophile

#7 2012-10-17 06:52:18

corenominal
WRONG
Website

merelyjim wrote:

#! has made me grow as a Linux-user. Openbox may push me even further.

smile

#8 2012-10-17 06:55:53

vic
#! by Default

Even if I am not an XFCE fan, love Openbox, I have to say that the #!XFCE that Philip made were really something special. The best XFCE I have ever seen, but then again, can you really imagine anything but perfection from Philip?

#!, all else is but a shadow.

#9 2012-10-17 16:14:51

joek
#! Junkie

When I first came to #! (Statler), I installed the Xfce version because I was scared of Openbox. Maybe nine months later, I had tried evilwm just to see what it was like. Less than a year after #!-day, I had used ratpoison. If you saw my testing box now, you would never believe that 13 months ago I had been scared to use openbox. Installing #!, and later getting OB on it, were the two events which triggered my learning everything I now know about Linux. Had I installed Xubuntu or Linux Mint with Xfce (the two other distros I considered for longest before eventually settling on #!), I would never be where I am now.
I guess the lesson to take home from my experience is that you never know when graduating from desktop environments to window managers will be right for you. Maybe it never will. But #!'s implementation of OB is possibly the most user-friendly way it can be done. And in a year, you too may be using fvwm or blackbox, or even dwm.

#10 2012-10-17 16:26:43

unfugr

@joek: +1. These are wise and beautiful words.
In Spring of this year I was afraid of the commandline. Thanks to corenominal & #! now I sometimes do not bother to start x. big_smile

#11 2012-10-17 18:41:13

merelyjim
#! Die Hard
Website

unfugr wrote:

... I was afraid of the commandline.

Still a coward when it comes to the dd command. Worried I'll use it when half-asleep and nuke my hard-drive. roll

#12 2012-10-17 19:02:07

dura
Bloated Gimp

^ me too. Doesn't dd actually mean 'Disk Destroyer'? Think I read that...

Back on topic, I love openbox. It has changed my way of thinking. I used to like xfce4 on mint, and previous ones. I forget what joek is saying about wm vs. de's being distinct. Reminds us of Moore's Law, and twists it: there's so much bloat in computers that is just there because manufacturers want to compete and sell; such things as a full de...

#13 2012-10-17 21:27:47

joek
#! Junkie

Exactly. I tried not to get onto my software is bloat evangelism too much, but... It so is. The whole reason I moved to #!, to Xfce, and then to Openbox, was that my poor little (perfectly good) laptop couldn't take it. KDE was too much for it. I recently got  new laptop (the old one is being used as a testbed to see how little resources I can use on it - see http://crunchbanglinux.org/forums/topic … -100-club/ if you care), and I wouldn't want to go back to Xfce or KDE even now I can...

#14 2012-10-17 21:34:20

omns
#! wanderer

^ I've run Xfce on old laptops with great success. Xfce is a light and responsive desktop environment comparable to Openbox and from memory there was little difference between the CrunchBang Xfce and Openbox editions in terms of ram usage.

It's just unfortunate that a number of the bigger distros bloat it out and give a false impression of how it can be used. It's a wonderful environment when setup properly.

#15 2012-10-17 21:49:38

beadmaze
#! Junkie

i came to #! before there had been a xfce-edition and i didn't like it once it came because of the ugly icons in the menu.
there were so many things i wasn't able to change (read: configure).
yeah it would be nice to have everything integrated into the menu automatically - but if i can't manipulate this menu, i'm done with it.
i tried xfce on mint (and on ubuntu before #!) and it had the same problems: anything configured automatically which you can't change manually is completely useless.

to be honest: i'm using mint13-mate [what the gnome...] atm and i'm happy withthe options for configuring - the only thing i'm really missing from #! is low RAM-usage...

We are a nice, friendly community here and I hope we stay that way.

#16 2012-10-17 23:10:24

merelyjim
#! Die Hard
Website

^
Mint has a pretty good Debian version of Xfce (no Ubuntu code), but having just switched from that to #! on a 64-bit Toshiba, I'm sticking with Crunchbang for the forseeable future. Having too much fun to leave...

#17 2012-10-17 23:17:50

VastOne
#! Ranger
Website

omns wrote:

^ I've run Xfce on old laptops with great success. Xfce is a light and responsive desktop environment comparable to Openbox and from memory there was little difference between the CrunchBang Xfce and Openbox editions in terms of ram usage.

It's just unfortunate that a number of the bigger distros bloat it out and give a false impression of how it can be used. It's a wonderful environment when setup properly.

Well said... And to add to it, just because one chooses to use Xfce it does not mean he/she becomes brain dead to the linux command line.

After all, it is still debian under the hood

And if you are really intuitive to the way Xfce is setup and works, there are plenty of ways to tweak 'rc' files to your hearts delight...

#18 2012-10-17 23:54:25

merelyjim
#! Die Hard
Website

^
...and now I gotta go look up [rc] files. :-|

#19 2012-10-18 00:16:43

unfugr

VastOne wrote:

Well said... And to add to it, just because one chooses to use Xfce it does not mean he/she becomes brain dead to the linux command line.

If my earlier post should have triggered such an association I apologize.
I just wanted to point out the opportunity I had by openbox forcing me to use the commandline and configuration files.

#20 2012-10-18 00:23:07

VastOne
#! Ranger
Website

unfugr wrote:
VastOne wrote:

If my earlier post should have triggered such an association I apologize.
I just wanted to point out the opportunity I had by openbox forcing me to use the commandline and configuration files.

No, not at all unfugr...  Xfce has a very bad rep for whatever reasons and as a seasoned Linux user, I just try to defend her whenever I can...  smile 

You could also replace Xfce in my statements with Debian and it would fit, in that a boatload of Debian users have no idea they are even using... roll lol

I happen to agree with everyone's assessment with OB opening doors in maintaining and learning Linux..  Corenominal's greatest achievement IMO  .. 
All is good mate...

#21 2012-10-18 00:25:15

merelyjim
#! Die Hard
Website

^^
Not at all. The universal constant, from Arch to ZorinOS, is the command line.
You want to bypass the GUI cruft, you use CLI!

Last edited by merelyjim (2012-10-18 00:27:35)

#22 2012-10-18 00:42:33

junkie
#! Junkie

I l love love openbox and how wacky hacky it is; learned a lot.
xfce — "Shoot I didn't know I had that application !" =p
They're both awesome and no cruft imo. Great thing about  Debian — apt-get

I keep 3 under the hood and mainly use DWM. smile

#23 2012-10-18 00:55:50

merelyjim
#! Die Hard
Website

I suppose I should stick up for the unmentioned LXDE Desktop here.
Only use it from a bootable KNOPPIX flash-drive, but nothing like the footprint of KDE or Gnome.
It just feels to Windows98 for me to like it...

#24 2012-10-18 00:58:31

justcallmecrash

Wow, I wasn't expecting all this!  big_smile 
I may have given the wrong impression.  I am VERY comfortable with the command line, but when I want an X environment, I don't really want to have to spend aeons setting it up and tweaking every little thing (and believe me, I could easily spend al my time doing just that) I just want to sit down and do my thing.  I like that the menu autopopulates, I like that there's just a tiny bit of integration (again, just because I CAN edit text files, doesn't mean I want to HAVE to), and I absolutely LOVE what corenominal did with XFCE (the theme, if you will) when he was putting out an XFCE release.  I just really REALLY like XFCE and installing it overtop of Openbox just isn't the same.  I don't know what kind of joojoo you spread all over it, but I'm hooked to that minimalist monochrome theme.
Anyway, sure, I could spend a month obsessing over every tweak on OB, but I don't want to... doesn't mean I'm incapable, it's just that I have other things to be getting on with (it IS my at-work computer after all... I don't want to spend any extra time there if I don't have to).
Thanks again, guys.  Guess I'll just stick with what I have until something catastrophic happens to it.  >_>

Help fund CrunchBang, donate to the project!

#25 2012-10-18 01:15:31

mikhou
#! CrunchBanger

Hey guys, in case anyone misunderstood my previous post let me clarify.  Would I personally go back to using Xfce?  Probably not - because I love my ob setup now.  Do I think that it's the absolute best DE out there?  Heck yeah!  Xfce is a sweet little DE that is light and fast when it's setup right.  #! Xfce was Xfce done right!  In fact, if I were introducing someone to Linux I would probably load #! Waldorf and then add Xfce on top of ob.  I would then tweak it to make it look as much like a stock #! setup as possible (all of that stock Debian blue weirds me out).  For someone new to Linux, I think that Xfce would be the lightest, fastest, simplest, and best DE to start them out with.  If they never moved away from it and to a WM, that's fine!  They've still got a great, fast, light little OS.

mikhou

Board footer