SEARCH

Enter your search query in the box above ^, or use the forum search tool.

You are not logged in.

#1 2012-10-11 03:23:47

Koala3
#! CrunchBanger
Website

Persistent install with run in ram?

Sorry if this has been covered and I'm sure it has, but I'm currently posting from my phone. My #! install won't boot, gives me I/o error on device sda6. The other day it was making bad scratchy grindy sounds from the hdd region sad How can I set up a persistent flash drive that will automatically load to the ram for the time being? I don't mind getting a little tech dirt on my hands but need a shove in the right direction.
Thanks ahead of time guys smile

Last edited by Koala3 (2012-10-11 03:24:35)

"Why isn't it possible to choke you with your own incompetence?" -Hello Chutulu ^.^
"I will be too busy laughing because of the faces people make, instead of wondering why it's raining dead babies." -Awebb

Help fund CrunchBang, donate to the project!

#2 2012-10-11 10:22:12

iMBeCil
WAAAAT?

Re: Persistent install with run in ram?

^ That's not at all difficult, althoug there are numerous steps:

1. Have ready two USB sticks. One for install, one for boot. It works with USB + SD card as well.

2. Download Waldorf ISO, and use 'dd' to create 'live' Waldorf on one USB (see here for instructions). Let's call this USB_live. (NB: you have to use another computer for this, obviously smile)

3. Fiddle with 'Boot devices order' in BIOS to ensure USB is the first boot device

4. Plug in USB_live in comp and turn it on; boot with USB_live, and select 'Install' (not 'Live session')

5. Plug in other USB (let's call it USB_persistant, or better USB_per)

6. Follow instructions and install Waldorf on USB_per. BEWARE: be careful of /dev/sdb, /dev/sdc ... Do not install on /dev/sda, since it is, apparently, your HDD.

6a. It is a good idea to put small swap on USB_per. It is also perfectly OK to chose automatic partitioning of your USB_per.

7. IMPORTANT: during install, close to the end, install asks about GRUB installation. If it wants to install GRUB on /dev/sda, answer NO, and then it asks for another device to install GRUB to. Answer with USB_per device: /dev/sdb or /dev/sdc (perhaps it is /dev/sdb1 or /dev/sdc1 ... I cannot remember, but if it was /dev/sda1 as a first choice, then it should be /dev/sdb1 or /dev/sdc1)

8. Finish installation.

9. Remove USB_live and reboot with USB_per plugged in.

10. ?????

11. Profit

Hope it helps. Sorry for your HDD.

Last edited by iMBeCil (2012-10-11 10:23:31)

Postpone all your duties; if you die, you won't have to do them ..

#3 2012-10-11 17:11:42

Koala3
#! CrunchBanger
Website

Thanks a bunch! Didn't think about it being as simple as just installing on a removable media. Shall be tonight's mission. I'm thinking when tax time comes about getting a tablet and terabyte for the laptop and just using it as my media server.

"Why isn't it possible to choke you with your own incompetence?" -Hello Chutulu ^.^
"I will be too busy laughing because of the faces people make, instead of wondering why it's raining dead babies." -Awebb

#4 2012-10-12 04:18:44

Digit
#! Die Hard
Website

sorry, did i miss where the 'run in ram' comes into this?

oh, was that step 10?

wink

~ think ~

without a shot fired
quote of the mo: ""... i realised it's simpler to make a statue to someone who you believe embodies all your better qualities, than it is to actually improve yourself" ... "so i have decided to go away. i will return when i have found a way to destroy this, while keeping the message intact"  -G'Kar

#5 2012-10-12 07:53:28

iMBeCil
WAAAAT?

Digit wrote:

sorry, did i miss where the 'run in ram' comes into this?

oh, was that step 10?

wink

Actually, yes ... one can specify tempfs in fstab to her/his liking, and have/run lot of stuff in ram.

NB: when you power off computer, ram is lost, did you know this? (That was in step 10., too.)

smile

Last edited by iMBeCil (2012-10-12 07:54:38)

Postpone all your duties; if you die, you won't have to do them ..

#6 2012-10-14 04:11:53

Koala3
#! CrunchBanger
Website

I wanted run in ram to try making my drive last a little longer, and faster. I tried #! running off the flash drive, it was just to slow for what I've come to expect. Got MacPup on another drive, its fast but it feels weird, hot keys aren't there, no conky, no tint2... Found another old hdd in my end table, gonna plop it in and find my back up configs

#7 2012-10-14 04:21:08

pvsage
Internal Affairs

"I wish I had another hard drive."  Opens end table.

@Koala3:  This might be a good time to buy a Lotto ticket! wink

I'm a moderator here.  How are we doing?  Feedback is encouraged.

#8 2012-10-15 02:33:07

Koala3
#! CrunchBanger
Website

Now that is a fine idea smile  got it installed and then went to help a friend fix a car. Going home shortly to setup a community and tint2 (from the thread, haven't learned how to write my own yet). Get a screen shot up after some tweaking to the ones I do pick out.

#9 2012-10-17 04:20:55

Koala3
#! CrunchBanger
Website

So I accidently killed grub for my hdd install, posting now from a bootable. Never had to mess with grub, foreign territory here, where do I start to get my hdd booting again?
Fixed! smile booted into it with Super Grub Disk then reinstalled grub.
Might be getting the hang of some of this, at least with some Google help.

Last edited by Koala3 (2012-10-18 02:59:41)

#10 2012-10-20 01:56:25

Digit
#! Die Hard
Website

smile

that's all you need to know, in order to use 'nix.

websearch-fu.

wink

~ think ~

without a shot fired
quote of the mo: ""... i realised it's simpler to make a statue to someone who you believe embodies all your better qualities, than it is to actually improve yourself" ... "so i have decided to go away. i will return when i have found a way to destroy this, while keeping the message intact"  -G'Kar

Board footer