SEARCH

Enter your search query in the box above ^, or use the forum search tool.

You are not logged in.

#1 2012-10-10 17:08:06

Andrius.B

How to install Windows 7 along my #! system?

I have been using #! for a few months now exclusively, but now I need to install Windows 7 along the #! system on the same laptop because I need to run several windows only applications that have no linux substitutes and do not function proparly under wine or even virtual box.

So, could someone help me?
I remember that some time ago I tried to do the same thing with My ubuntu machine and after making a new partition and installing win xp I messed up the boot loader and didn't know how to get it back working.

Any help or guide is appreciated.

Help fund CrunchBang, donate to the project!

#2 2012-10-10 17:22:26

Cope57
#! Member

Re: How to install Windows 7 along my #! system?

Are you sure there is no Linux substitutes?
The table of equivalents / replacements / analogs of Windows software in Linux.

It is a nice list, but I or another may be of assistance with what you need.  What application are you trying to run, or better yet, what are you trying to accomplish?

( o< -Penguins rule!
/ /\
V_/_
Computers do not have problems, they have users. ~Cope57

#3 2012-10-10 18:13:52

Neil
#! CrunchBanger

It's generally best to install Windows first, and then #!, or any Linux for that matter, in a dual boot configuration. 
By manually setting up your partitions, and editing your Grub configuration, you might be able to install Windows on the same machine that is already running #!, but most folks have a lot of trouble doing it that way.  Windows usually refuses to install unless it can have the entire hard drive.

#4 2012-10-10 18:16:18

el_koraco
#!/loony/bun

Windows will take over the MBR, where Grub is located. Then you do this: http://crunchbanglinux.org/forums/topic … -via-grub/

#5 2012-10-10 18:35:10

Andrius.B

I need to run Adobe Premiere and After Effects, and there are absolutely no alternatives for these programs. They are extremely complex and powerful video and motion graphics manipulation tools but unfortunately only run on windows and Mac. There are some non-linear video editors for linux, but they are like little toys compared to the power and flexibility of premiere. As far as motion graphics go, the only decent program I found for linux that might be able to do it is Blender, but once again, it is mainly a 3D modeling/animation package, not motion graphics package like After Effects is. So the only option I have is to install Windows. For everything else I use linux. But there is a project I need to do now so need those softwares (haavn't been doing video/motion graphics work for quite some time so didn't need win before).

Thanks el_coraco for that link. I will try to install win7 to a new partition now, and will hope that I will be able to get the grub working again after install. If I will have problems, I will post here.

#6 2012-10-10 18:52:24

Cope57
#! Member

Adobe Premiere alternatives.

• iMira Editing.

• Cinelerra.

• MainActor.

• Broadcast 2000.

• Lives.

• CinePaint.

• Heroine Virtual

After Effects:
I only know about GIMP plugins that do the same.
http://registry.gimp.org/taxonomy/term/289
http://registry.gimp.org/taxonomy/term/96

To avoid the need to install Windows, stop purchasing Windows software.
If there is another reason for using the software, have the "reason" pay for your new Windows OS.

As for installing it, just install it, what is the worst that can happen? Lose your Linux partition?  That is what back ups are for.  Save your home directory to CD or DVD, the rest you can reinstall after the Windows installation.  OR, someone can tell you how to install Windows on a different partition, and fix your grub.

Good luck.

( o< -Penguins rule!
/ /\
V_/_
Computers do not have problems, they have users. ~Cope57

#7 2012-10-11 22:17:24

Andrius.B

cope57,
I have tried those video editor but trust me, they are not suitable for motion graphics. The stuff I want to do is something like this: http://www.videocopilot.net/tutorials/
Just look through some of those tutorials, and you will understand what I mean. VFX and motion graphics are almost imposible to do on linux. That is the only area (vfx/mg) where linux can't replace a pc or a mac. I know it sounds bad, but it is the truth. Blender project is changing this slowly and now made it possible to use linux as a professional 3D creation environment. However motion graphics are still much much harder to do with blender then with after effects.

Anyway, this thread is not about linux vs win/mac on motion graphics. It is about me getting windows to run after already having linux installed. I guess I will just take your suggestion and simply backup my files and just install win and then try to get the bootloader working again, and if I fail I will just reinstall #! again.

Thanks everybody for suggestions... installing win now.

#8 2012-10-12 06:14:45

lwfitz
#! Die Hard
Website

The easiest way I think is to download a copy of super grub and then burn it to a disk. Create your Windows 7 partition and Install.
Once Windows is installed you can boot to that super grub disk and choose the option to detect any O.S. That will give you the ability to pick your O.S and boot into #!.
After your booted up just open a terminal and run

sudo update-grub

That should update grub and let you boot into grub to pick your OS.
I did have a system where that didnt work correctly and all I had to do was run

sudo apt-get purge grub
sudo apt-get install grub

Worked like a charm for me.

Board footer