SEARCH

Enter your search query in the box above ^, or use the forum search tool.

You are not logged in.

#1 2012-10-04 19:40:50

rogerrabbitsclone

hosting

so i have a seedbox running in my house. and i have an email account set to receive torrents as attachments then add the to the torrent queue automatically. !# is one of my favorite distros and i figured seeding it is a way i could help. is there anyway to automate torrents being sent to my server?

Be excellent to each other!

#2 2012-10-04 20:50:06

corenominal
WRONG
Website

Re: hosting

Are you asking if it is possible to automatically send your system emails with attached torrents whenever there is a release?

#3 2012-10-04 21:14:55

canpolat
#! CrunchBanger

I think it would be easier with an RSS that you can subscribe with your torrent client. Too bad, the http://crunchbang.org/torrents/ folder content cannot be listed. Otherwise I could have fixed a quick Yahoo Pipe.

Edit: Actually... I can still do it. Let me see...

Last edited by canpolat (2012-10-04 21:16:53)

Every solution is an intermediate solution.

#4 2012-10-04 21:41:10

canpolat
#! CrunchBanger

I created an RSS feed that (supposedly) will be updated whenever the torrent links in the http://crunchbang.org/download/testing page are updated. I have tested it with uTorrent. It found the torrents (matched the already seeded 64-bit version and started downloading the other two images), but I didn't do any further testing. We'll see how it handles the yet-to-be-added torrents...

I don't know if RSS is a widely supported feature of torrent clients, but I think it's an easier way to automatically seed the test images.

Below, you'll find both the original Yahoo Pipes RSS URL and the Feedburner wrapper URL (for those who prefer shorter URLs for some reason). I haven't tested the Feedburner URL, so any feedback is welcome.

Yahoo Pipes RSS URL: http://pipes.yahoo.com/pipes/pipe.run?_ … render=rss
Feedburner RSS URL: http://feeds.feedburner.com/CrunchbangTestImages

Edit: Added the Feeburner URL.

Last edited by canpolat (2012-10-06 08:53:53)

#5 2012-10-05 20:48:53

rogerrabbitsclone

corenominal wrote:

Are you asking if it is possible to automatically send your system emails with attached torrents whenever there is a release?

that would be nice since i already have the system in place to add torrents like that. i know you guys are probably super busy so i dont really expect that this will be the top of your list.

canpolat wrote:

Below, you'll find both the original Yahoo Pipes RSS URL and the Feedburner wrapper URL (for those who prefer shorter URLs for some reason). I haven't tested the Feedburner URL, so any feedback is welcome.

this is awesome! (i think...) ive never really used RSS for anything. i see that utorrent has rss features, but can you tell me kinda what i should do?

#6 2012-10-05 22:02:18

canpolat
#! CrunchBanger

rogerrabbitsclone wrote:

this is awesome! (i think...) ive never really used RSS for anything. i see that utorrent has rss features, but can you tell me kinda what i should do?

If you're using uTorrent then you can follow these steps (version 3.1.3):

1. Go to File > Add RSS Feed...

2. A window titled "Add RSS Feed" will open. In that window, in the Feed URL box, paste one of the URLs shared above.

3. Optional: Tick the "Custom Alias" tickbox and add an alias for the torrent (like: Crunchbang Test Images)

4. Important: In the subscription section, select "Automatically download all items published in feed".

5. And press OK.

After some seconds, uTorrent will find the torrents in the feed and start downloading them. Whenever new images are added, the RSS feed will find and bring them to uTorrent, and uTorrent will start seeding them automatically as per your instruction in step 4.

I hope this helps.

Last edited by canpolat (2012-10-05 22:03:08)

#7 2012-10-06 04:27:52

antiv0rtex
#! Die Hard

canpolat wrote:
rogerrabbitsclone wrote:

If you're using uTorrent then you can follow these steps (version 3.1.3):

1. Go to File > Add RSS Feed...

2. A window titled "Add RSS Feed" will open. In that window, in the Feed URL box, paste one of the URLs shared above.

3. Optional: Tick the "Custom Alias" tickbox and add an alias for the torrent (like: Crunchbang Test Images)

4. Important: In the subscription section, select "Automatically download all items published in feed".

5. And press OK.

After some seconds, uTorrent will find the torrents in the feed and start downloading them. Whenever new images are added, the RSS feed will find and bring them to uTorrent, and uTorrent will start seeding them automatically as per your instruction in step 4.

I hope this helps.

I would be very interested in helping #! with seeding various disk torrents. I am planning to create a dedicated seedbox very soon, but I am not very interested in having to manually download new torrents as they are made available. Is there some way to adapt the above method to work with the Transmission BitTorrent client?

#8 2012-10-06 08:04:23

canpolat
#! CrunchBanger

R3nCi wrote:

I would be very interested in helping #! with seeding various disk torrents. I am planning to create a dedicated seedbox very soon, but I am not very interested in having to manually download new torrents as they are made available. Is there some way to adapt the above method to work with the Transmission BitTorrent client?

Do you mean the images at http://crunchbang.org/download/ page? Yes, it can be easily adapted: I'll need to create a new RSS feed, and you'll need to add that RSS feed in addition to the other one.

#9 2012-10-06 09:06:23

canpolat
#! CrunchBanger

Hi,

Here is the list of the RSS feeds that can be used to automatically seed Crunchbang Linux images. (I wonder if it would be useful to create a tidy Wiki page for this topic?) Note that if you subscribe to "All Images" you don't need to subscribe to the other two.

If you're interested, here are the Yahoo Pipes URLs for the above feeds:

I'm not sure how useful the 'stable images' feed will be (since they are updated quite infrequently compared to the tesgint images). Feedback is welcome.

Last edited by canpolat (2012-10-06 09:08:13)

#10 2012-10-07 00:58:30

ansem_of_nexus
#! CrunchBanger

Thank you for this, I was wondering how much is all the images combined? I have a server and can seed for you, the drive is small and I don't want to say I will seed all the images, if I can't

You can find my work here

Make everything ok button

#11 2012-10-07 02:45:46

pvsage
Internal Affairs

The stable images are just under 700MiB each; the testing images are about 760MiB each.  So...just over 5GiB?

I'm a moderator here.  How are we doing?  Feedback is encouraged.

#12 2012-10-07 08:58:27

canpolat
#! CrunchBanger

To be more precise:

Stable images: 2625MB
Testing images: 2259MB
Total: 4884 MB

Note that whenever new images added for testing, they will not replace the existing images, they'll add up. So, you may want to do a cleanup every now and then. If you're short of space, it may be wiser to seed the stable images. They will also add up, but in a much slower pace, so the clean-ups need not be often at all.

Last edited by canpolat (2012-10-07 18:54:59)

#13 2012-10-07 18:19:36

ansem_of_nexus
#! CrunchBanger

alright as soon as I get my internet up and running I can seed

You can find my work here

Make everything ok button

#14 2013-06-22 14:43:42

antiv0rtex
#! Die Hard

I'm about to redo my seedbox and just wanted to mention that I will be seeding the stable images.

Board footer