SEARCH

Enter your search query in the box above ^, or use the forum search tool.

You are not logged in.

#1 2012-10-02 02:41:13

Diplo

Looking for new laptop

Hey folks.  It's been a while since I last posted but I'm looking for a new laptop.  I'm looking to spend $300-400 and I'm just looking for general input from the #! community, since that's what going on it.  Any hardware that is especially compatible? I'm looking at an asus http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.a … 6834230265 right now, especially because it has an Atheros chipset. 

Diplo

Help fund CrunchBang, donate to the project!

#2 2012-10-02 04:51:59

stolid
#! CrunchBanger

Re: Looking for new laptop

I don't think you'll run into any compatibility issues as long as you don't have to deal with switchable graphics. Atheros and Intel tend to be well supported I think.

Just my opinion, but 1366x768 for a 15" laptop sounds painfully low res...

Last edited by stolid (2012-10-02 04:52:22)

Registered Linux User #555399
crunchbox:     Phenom II X6 1055T | 8GB RAM | OCZ Vertex 4 128GB | Radeon 7870XT | Win7 / #! 11 (i3 WM)
lambdacore:     4x Opteron 8431 | 16GB RAM | 2x1TB mirrored (ZFSoL) | Debian 7 (headless)
crunchtop:     Acer Aspire 1410 11.6" | 2GB RAM | Crucial M4 128GB | #! 11 (i3 WM)

#3 2012-10-02 06:03:41

super.luser

ASUS, eh? Not bad. The only thing I'd mention is that they've definitely jumped on board with UEFI replacing the older BIOS on their motherboards (no surprise there), which actually makes installing Debian-based systems a bit more of a hassle than you might be used to.

I'd recommend checking whether or not any new computer is using UEFI, honestly, and if it is, start reading up on how to get it booting properly. There's plenty of Debian-specific information about that floating around.

Good luck. smile

(Oh, and the integrated Intel graphics are awesomely well supported, by the way. big_smile)

I luse superbly, with style and aplomb.

#4 2012-10-02 07:00:45

lwfitz
#! Die Hard
Website

I dont know if that laptop is UEFI but if it is heres a pretty good tutorial on installing UEFI on Debian.

http://forums.debian.net/viewtopic.php?f=16&t=81120

Most UEFI boards (that Ive dealt with) still support bios booting so a normal grub install to the mbr will still get you booted up. I would make sure to download a copy of super grub

http://www.supergrubdisk.org/super-grub2-disk/

and burn it to a disk before installing. Worst case, you can boot with that disk and go from there.

Im running two Asus boards (both AMD) that are UEFI and I love them. If you have any issues Ill do my best to help you out.

Edit:

Heres the manual for that laptop

http://www.manualowl.com/m/Asus/X54C-NS … 87?page=76

It does support UEFI but it can be disabled if you just want a standard Bios boot up.

Last edited by lwfitz (2012-10-02 07:11:22)

#5 2012-10-02 08:08:26

el_koraco
#!/loony/bun

super.luser wrote:

ASUS, eh? Not bad. The only thing I'd mention is that they've definitely jumped on board with UEFI replacing the older BIOS on their motherboards (no surprise there), which actually makes installing Debian-based systems a bit more of a hassle than you might be used to.

Every piece of UEFI firmware is set to boot in BIOS emulation mode by default. One has to specifically set it to boot in UEFI mode.

#6 2012-10-02 12:29:17

pvsage
Internal Affairs

^ ...and if you forget the keyboard shortcut to get to the appropriate boot options menu, you can always go old-school and pop the button cell.  I needed to do this once.

I'm a moderator here.  How are we doing?  Feedback is encouraged.

#7 2012-10-02 20:36:24

super.luser

el_koraco wrote:
super.luser wrote:

Every piece of UEFI firmware is set to boot in BIOS emulation mode by default. One has to specifically set it to boot in UEFI mode.

Not in my case. I bought an ASUS laptop and it actually has no default setting for BIOS emulation at all from the included UEFI options. It was quite a hassle getting Debian installed on it, to be honest.

Just thought I'd mention that... just in case. smile

#8 2012-10-03 06:27:53

lcafiero
The #! Guy
Website

If UEFI is a concern, you might want to go with a Linux hardware manufacturer in the US, like ZaReason or System 76. The difference between the two is that you can get any distro you want (even CrunchBang) from ZaReason, but you can get any distro you want on System 76, as long as it's Ubuntu.

Truth in advertising: I have known the folks at ZaReason for years, and I've done work for them in the past. I currently use a ZaReason laptop and it's the only non-ThinkPad I own.

Res publica non dominetur | Larry the CrunchBang Guy speaks of the pompetous of CrunchBang

CrunchBang Forum moderator

#9 2012-10-03 07:24:38

el_koraco
#!/loony/bun

super.luser wrote:

Not in my case. I bought an ASUS laptop and it actually has no default setting for BIOS emulation at all from the included UEFI options. It was quite a hassle getting Debian installed on it, to be honest.

Which model?

#10 2012-10-04 02:22:54

shengchieh
#! Die Hard

You're welcome to lookat the longgggg list of linux-preinstalled computers at

http://shengchieh.50webs.com/tuxslinks.html
-> Retailers
-> Linux pre-installed vendors (including laptops)

I believe one or two even have #! preinstalled.   Also, any that have debian preinstalled will
work w/ #!.  And any ubuntu or linux mint preinstalled probably will work w/ #! - at least the
drivers are floating around the internet.

Sheng-Chieh

#11 2012-10-04 19:43:12

super.luser

el_koraco wrote:
super.luser wrote:

Which model?

ASUS X401a. It's a nice laptop for what I use it for, and it only cost me $200. Still, it would have been nice to know before I got it that it didn't support BIOS emulation out of the box, considering that I assumed that it would and got more than a little annoyed when every installation method I tried failed to be able to boot -- until I figured out how to add the boot information to the EFI boot options.

Honestly, now that I'm thinking more about it, it may have performed BIOS emulation if the drive wasn't GPT formatted. I still have a lot to learn about how all of this new-fangled stuff works, obviously. tongue

#12 2012-10-05 15:18:37

Diplo

Thanks for the input on this guys, I wouldn't have considered a UEFI to be a hiccup since I boot #! on my desktop board (which has UEFI) just fine.  In case it doesnt, thanks for the guide on installing on UEFI hardware.

#13 2012-10-06 16:04:38

beta

if in the us you can buy a t430 with smart use of coupons for $400

#14 2012-10-06 16:24:20

el_koraco
#!/loony/bun

super.luser wrote:

Honestly, now that I'm thinking more about it, it may have performed BIOS emulation if the drive wasn't GPT formatted. I still have a lot to learn about how all of this new-fangled stuff works, obviously. tongue

You just need to make a 1MB partition with the "bios boot" flag for GPT to work. New installers do this automatically.

Board footer