SEARCH

Enter your search query in the box above ^, or use the forum search tool.

You are not logged in.

#1 2012-09-30 18:54:54

wuxmedia
wookiee madclaw
Website

new art website totally created by me 8)

OK, so my wife asked me to promote her website, I wrote it from scratch(ish) using #!
(geany and chromium... and gimp) and a bunch of help from various websites.
all the pictures/videos are original artworks created by my wife.

there's no adds (i hope) and there shouldn't be any security issues, afaik.
it is a tad revealing (especially my sloppy code) but it would help to raise any bugs, and boost the hits of the page.

so here goes.

www.hannahhardyart.com

and more cheekily if you like the artwork, and are logged onto facebook, could you 'like' this page and vote for her?

http://www.facebook.com/GlobalArtAgency … verride%3D

thanks
Wux

Be excellent to each other!

#2 2012-09-30 20:38:11

captdavid1949
Website

Re: new art website totally created by me 8)

Appears you got a path problem on your server  URL returns only  text "Direct Link" in upper left of page:

Last edited by captdavid1949 (2012-09-30 20:39:54)

"When you're up to your ass in alligators, its difficult to remember your initial objective was to drain the swamp"

#3 2012-09-30 21:01:36

wuxmedia
wookiee madclaw
Website

thats normal, click it, to enter.
what browser are you using?

It has a fancy css intro, bit subtle only works nice on webkit/mozilla. and if you're on fairly high res
the 'direct link', is a get out clause. i was gonna put 'click here to enter'. but bit pointless to circumvent the intro. did you notice a red HH in the corner?
try zooming out a bit... then click on that.

#4 2012-09-30 21:37:35

captdavid1949
Website

^ ok, works...  This box running firefox 15 on Fedora xfce  Monitor resolution 1024x768  current local dwnld rate 12.5 mbs or so..

Everything seems to work but load speed is slow with all the gfx. Would not have gotten past the front door without instructions. At least underline your "get out clause" so it is an obvious link.

Good start, but might want to consider viewing site with different browsers/resolutions/etc

david

"When you're up to your ass in alligators, its difficult to remember your initial objective was to drain the swamp"

#5 2012-09-30 22:07:50

wuxmedia
wookiee madclaw
Website

thanks for sticking with it
server is free, although not too bad, but a bit slow at peak times sad

cross browser yeah. kind of annoying having to cater for all of them.  the main site is pretty compliant.
i'll have to work on making the front door more discreetly obvious.
cheers

#6 2012-09-30 23:23:33

captdavid1949
Website

Just one more comment.. If you verify with IE Chrome Firefox you have 80% right there.
If me, more concerned with bandwidth. People are impatient and a sluggish server coupled with narrow bandwidth on the client end can make all your work futile.
After taking a cursory glance at your code, it looks as if you are pulling a huge amount from outside your server.. eg embedded google flash player serving images, hit counters, backgrounds, scripts etc
Unless there are constraints on your own server keeping you from serving these items directly you would be saving a lot of overhead doing so. There are plenty of open source scripts out there that will allow you to do this. That said, there is a learning curve in DIY but I believe you would be happier in the long run. If you are hosting all the functions, you also don't have to worry about someone else changing up and breaking your site.

Just my two cents and btw I like your wife's work.
Especially the sculpture

#7 2012-10-01 00:23:32

wuxmedia
wookiee madclaw
Website

there is quite a lot of 'outsourced' images etc, this (until i can work out some sort of cms)  is so she can edit the order/content of the slideshows. without me having to hack the code...
i figured it might take a load off the server.
all 'small' images are held on the server, the background at  ~60kb is the biggest big_smile
i know, 10 years ago that was a  whole website... smile

thanks for contributing, David.
thanks for the kind words, she'd sure appreciate a comment!
btw she's got a show in NYC Javits center  on the 19th of october. pop in, we won't be there, just her paintings 8(

#8 2012-10-01 00:38:42

dkeg
#! Die Hard

dude, your wife's artwork is amazing.  Thank you for sharing.  I don't do fb, but if a G+ page then I'll def share that

fwiw, i use sublime-text.  They have a plug-in called Prefixer.  Helps with cross browser css bullshit.  Great site though.

separate note, was there anything your wife did special, aside from her artwork itself, to get into a gallery there.  My wife has a friend who is also extremely talented, but has had trouble making the right connections.  Advice?  You can pm me.  Don't want to hijack or derail the thread.

grill it | the rocky path may just be the best path

#9 2012-10-01 01:20:59

gutterslob
#! Resident Bum

Great stuff. Quite like some of her abstracts. Thanks for sharing. smile
Unfortunately, I don't basefook or social network in general. Sorry.

Last edited by gutterslob (2012-10-01 01:22:02)

Point & Squirt

#10 2012-10-01 06:15:23

wuxmedia
wookiee madclaw
Website

big_smile thanks for the comments guys!

I did tell her most people weren't really facebooky kinda people glasses
I know this is a forum for well cultured, worldly people. : ) 

@dkeg as for getting a gig. i'll pm you, but it's essentially facebook/social networking. plus paying. roll

#11 2012-10-04 01:52:59

Anandawardhana

thanks a lot for sharing and I really enjoyed browsing through her art. very good stuff. awesome sculpture. cheers & keep it up!

Board footer