SEARCH

Enter your search query in the box above ^, or use the forum search tool.

You are not logged in.

#1 2012-09-25 09:41:53

michaeljking
Website

32 bit or 64 bit editions?

I have been using Debian based Linux OS since 2004,  mostly Ubuntu or Mint,  and used the early ubuntu Crunchbang as a live CD/USB mostly.    It was last summer when I only had an old pentium 3 Thinkpad laptop as my main machine that I really understood and appreciated #!  It was the fastest OS I could get that still looked and worked great.   Now I am on a slightly faster dual core Thinkpad R61 and wondering what the opinion was about installing the 32 bit or 64 bit editions?   Since I am on an older 2ghz core 2 duo and 3gb ram which is hardly high end.   I will do video editing in Openshot but mostly its less memory intensive operations that I am using,   updating my website,  watching video, using Gimp, etc  using lightscribe to laser print discs

Is it still the case that there is more software in the 32 bit editions?    Is there any great benefit to the 64 bit edition?

Thanks in advance!

(Great distro and Forum here! BTW)

Michael

Last edited by michaeljking (2012-09-25 09:42:51)

Help fund CrunchBang, donate to the project!

#2 2012-09-25 10:59:06

pvsage
Internal Affairs

Re: 32 bit or 64 bit editions?

AFAIK, the 64-bit kernel supposedly utilizes two cores more efficiently than the 32-bit kernel.  The casual observer will notice, however, that the 32-bit kernel uses less system memory at idle.

IIRC, there are a few emulators that only run in 32-bit (game system emulators mostly), and Floola (which some iToy users may need) has never worked right with 64-bit, but if you don't have these specific needs, I'd go with 64-bit.

EDIT:  Welcome to Club#!, michaeljking!  I see from your profile that you're a luthier - way cool! cool

Last edited by pvsage (2012-09-25 11:01:17)

I'm a moderator here.  How are we doing?  Feedback is encouraged.

#3 2012-09-26 13:06:18

michaeljking
Website

Re: 32 bit or 64 bit editions?

Thanks PVsage! 

I am doing a fresh install on an SDD so I thought it was good to get some feedback!

Board footer