SEARCH

Enter your search query in the box above ^, or use the forum search tool.

You are not logged in.

#1 2012-09-20 22:04:11

shengchieh
#! Die Hard

usb card does not fit computers

I brought a LB-LINK 802.11 b/g/n 300 Mbps wireless USB adapter.  This card does not fit into the USB of
my laptop or desktop.  It goes in about 4/5 of the way, and then, stop.  The merchant mailed me a 2nd
USB wireless card because he thoughted the 1st card was defective - same problem w/ 2nd card.
[Personally, I don't think either card is defective.  Compatibility problem???]

Is the problem because the USB connection differs or what?  Do I need an adapter?

I have Intel USB controllers on my dinosaur desktop and eee laptop.

http://shengchieh.50webs.com/Desktoplspci.txt
http://shengchieh.50webs.com/Laptoplspci.txt

Bottom line I want to fit this card in.  Any trick or workaround?

Sheng-Chieh

Help fund CrunchBang, donate to the project!

#2 2012-09-20 22:20:05

pvsage
Internal Affairs

Re: usb card does not fit computers

Lemme guess - recessed USB ports, right?  (Or rather, the plastic on the front panel of the PC extends beyond the flange of the port.)  You may need to get a USB pass-through cable (essentially male USB to female USB); they're ridiculously expensive though.

EDIT:  If the front panel is indeed the problem, maybe *cut away* a little bit of the plastic around the port?

Last edited by pvsage (2012-09-20 22:21:40)

I'm a moderator here.  How are we doing?  Feedback is encouraged.

#3 2012-09-20 22:26:36

ansem_of_nexus
#! CrunchBanger

I think you have it backwards the usb is made for a recessed usb port and his aren't that is why you can't fit the whole usb part in, but I did notice that he didn't say if it works 4/5 of the way in.

You can find my work here

Make everything ok button

#4 2012-09-20 22:27:26

pidsley
Window Mangler

#5 2012-09-20 22:40:46

ansem_of_nexus
#! CrunchBanger

^that would be a new bookmark

#6 2012-09-20 22:44:32

pvsage
Internal Affairs

yikes Nice!  I've only seen them for $8 or more; then again, I've only looked at brick & mortar shops, and not even at PC suppliers...box stores and office supply stores mostly...

@ansem_of_nexus:  I actually have a USB TV tuner (unfortunately a brick in Linuxville) that I know would not fit into the front-panel USB ports of the PCs at work.  In fact, I doubt even a typical USB thumbdrive would fit. roll  I think some of these cases are deliberately designed for corporations to keep us h4x0r5 outta their megahurtz. lol

#7 2012-09-20 22:53:21

ansem_of_nexus
#! CrunchBanger

pvsage wrote:

@ansem_of_nexus:  I actually have a USB TV tuner (unfortunately a brick in Linuxville) that I know would not fit into the front-panel USB ports of the PCs at work.  In fact, I doubt even a typical USB thumbdrive would fit. roll  I think some of these cases are deliberately designed for corporations to keep us h4x0r5 outta their megahurtz. lol

Ok you have me there, and it's a brick even with wine?

#8 2012-09-20 23:02:01

pidsley
Window Mangler

pvsage wrote:

yikes Nice!  I've only seen them for $8 or more; then again, I've only looked at brick & mortar shops, and not even at PC suppliers...box stores and office supply stores mostly...

monoprice is awesome for cables and even some low-end wifi cards and dongles: http://www.monoprice.com/products/subde … id=1050108 and http://www.monoprice.com/products/searc … i+wireless

No guarantee they will meet your exacting standards though smile

#9 2012-09-20 23:48:01

pvsage
Internal Affairs

ansem_of_nexus wrote:

it's a brick even with wine?

Kinda off-topic, but I'd never consider trying to use it with Wine.  I only use Wine for highly specialized programs (mostly Duncan's Tone Stack and Power Supply simulators) for which the developer has very little incentive, inclination, or even the resources for providing a comparable Linux product.  If hardware itself doesn't work with Linux without some kind of compatibility layer, it's useless to me.
/soapbox

#10 2012-09-21 00:07:27

ansem_of_nexus
#! CrunchBanger

@pvsage: so the "off topic / general chat" is for "off topic / general chat" treads but not going "off topic / general chat" of said "off topic / general chat" threads?
(love copy and paste)

as for the original topic I concur, USB pass-through cable is what I would do

#11 2012-09-21 01:09:31

shengchieh
#! Die Hard

Thank for replying. 

The wireless card is going obsolete.  I got it at Amazon marketplace for $.01 plus $4.99 shipping.
The eee is the original 701 eee that came out 4 years ago. (I think).  The desktop is a low-end
desktop I got 6 years ago.

All the USB sticks and USB device fits the USB slots of my desktop and laptop - never had any
problem ever until now.

---

psvage,

> If the front panel is indeed the problem, maybe *cut away* a little bit of the plastic around the port?

when you say port what do you mean?

I see

-------------------------------
|                            |
| o  o    o  o    o  o |
------------------------------
|   [solid white]      |
|                            |
------------------------------

---

pidsley and others: why would an USB male-female cable work?  Wouldn't the wireless USB card
have trouble fitting into the cable?

Sheng-Chieh

#12 2012-09-21 01:24:43

ansem_of_nexus
#! CrunchBanger

http://www.laptopmag.com/review/laptops … c-701.aspx
^ that is the laptop you have correct?

and is this what your trying to diagram there
http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/c … t_Port.jpg

Last edited by ansem_of_nexus (2012-09-21 01:36:22)

#13 2012-09-21 01:44:27

pidsley
Window Mangler

shengchieh wrote:

pidsley and others: why would an USB male-female cable work?  Wouldn't the wireless USB card

Just to be clear -- I was just showing one location where these cables could be purchased quite cheaply -- I have no idea if a male/female USB cable would solve your problem, as I have not seen your hardware or been offered any specs that allow me to look it up online.

You have the hardware in front of you and can probably tell if it is a mechanical issue -- is there any reason why the connector might be obstructed so that it is unable to fully enter the socket? At any rate, before I started cutting away parts of my laptop case I might be tempted to try a cable.

pvsage wrote:
ansem_of_nexus wrote:

it's a brick even with wine?

Kinda off-topic, but I'd never consider trying to use it with Wine.  I only use Wine for highly specialized programs (mostly Duncan's Tone Stack and Power Supply simulators) for which the developer has very little incentive, inclination, or even the resources for providing a comparable Linux product.  If hardware itself doesn't work with Linux without some kind of compatibility layer, it's useless to me.
/soapbox

And just be even more clear, let me say +1. I've never used Wine (I installed it once, and was so surprised by how much of my machine it wanted to take over that I removed it immediately) and have no interest in any solution that requires it. There has to be a better way.

Last edited by pidsley (2012-09-21 02:45:23)

#14 2012-09-21 02:17:43

ansem_of_nexus
#! CrunchBanger

@Pidsley Thank you for the info, didn't know wine did that. I will do some more research on it, still new to linux.

the cable can provide a more secure connection that the direct method isn't as you said the device only goes in 4/5 of the way in, plus the connections may better fit to the hardware and allow both full connections. As it was said check first that there is nothing stopping this connection that can be easily fix without doing damage to either the device or computer. I doubt that any of us wants you to buy something you don't need, but if you have to that link showed prices better than I have ever seen

#15 2012-09-21 03:54:35

shengchieh
#! Die Hard

ansem_of_nexus wrote:

http://www.laptopmag.com/review/laptops … c-701.aspx
^ that is the laptop you have correct?

and is this what your trying to diagram there
http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/c … t_Port.jpg

Correct & correct.

Laptop is USB 2.0 - I can't tell about the USB wireless card.

Sheng-Chieh

#16 2012-09-21 04:23:40

ansem_of_nexus
#! CrunchBanger

If it is USB 2.0 there should be no problems, so have you rechecked to make sure that is the best connection you can get with a straight connect of USB and computer? Also even mostly connected as long as it doesn't wobble or anything like it, I would think it would work for you.

Last edited by ansem_of_nexus (2012-09-21 04:24:57)

#17 2012-09-21 06:42:47

pvsage
Internal Affairs

shengchieh wrote:

Sheng-Chieh

If the problem is the physical size of the USB device, the male end of the pass-through cable should fit into the port on the PC, and the female end should have no trouble fitting the male connector on the external device.

#18 2012-09-21 06:45:11

pvsage
Internal Affairs

ansem_of_nexus wrote:

@pvsage: so the "off topic / general chat" is for "off topic / general chat" treads but not going "off topic / general chat" of said "off topic / general chat" threads?

I just meant that a discussion of Wine is outside the scope of this thread, based on the concerns of the OP's post.

#19 2012-09-21 07:42:20

ansem_of_nexus
#! CrunchBanger

@pvsage just having some word fun, It is all good

#20 2012-10-04 02:36:41

shengchieh
#! Die Hard

I brought a cable and it didn't work.   Studying abit more I notice this troublematic USB wireless card
is almost 1/16" longer than my USB data stick and that 1/16" is what I see.  If I saw off 1/16" the
holes (two holes on top and bottom) will be 1/16" off.  What does the connection inside do?  Can
I stuff a piece of aluminum foil?  Will that short or connect?  Any other trick?  I.e., place something
inside to shorten the connection?

Sheng-Chieh

Board footer