SEARCH

Enter your search query in the box above ^, or use the forum search tool.

You are not logged in.

#1 2012-09-18 15:04:47

dura
Bloated Gimp

CrunchBang and Gwoffice

Hi,

For ages I have used Libreoffice Writer to write what I need. Recently I have become interested in Gwoffice, a google drive client allowing users to create documents, etc., on google drive as if it a word processor that is installed on their system.  I've just started using google drive online to write documents, but have enjoyed trying gwoffice on a friend's Peppermint distro.

It seems abiword in Waldorf is slightly buggy (it crashes when skipping pages). I can't be bothered installing libreoffice because it is so heavy. There is a link to Google docs, so I think extending this to Gwoffice would be a good idea.

Would Gwoffice install to Waldorf? What are the chances of it being in the release?

Daniel

Be excellent to each other!

#2 2012-09-18 19:21:12

sqlpython
#! Die Hard

Re: CrunchBang and Gwoffice

Personally, I found GwOffice Clunky.
I have Igoogle pages and an igoogle drive as well as the Document writer but there are many better Desktop apps out there. BTW  you don't have to install a whole Libreoffice just install the librewriter.
If you choose to pursue the GwOffice I had seen an article at the Unixmen site which instructed as to how to install by adding a repository..
Here are the instructions to follow from a terminal via  SUDO..

sudo add-apt-repository ppa:tombeckmann/ppa
sudo apt-get update
sudo apt-get install gwoffice

OHCG #!, Jessie,, Siduction-13.1,  Slackware 14,  Bridge,, Sabayon 13.4,

#3 2012-09-18 21:58:58

dura
Bloated Gimp

Ha thanks. I have only clicked a few buttons on a friend's Peppermint, so wasn't sure how it runs. If you say its clunky then I'll probably leave it for now. The google docs web browser thing is pretty clunky too really- no zoom functionality which really lets it down. Shame about abiword cos it is so damn fast. I hear libreoffice writer calling from afar...

#4 2012-09-19 15:27:08

jotapesse
#! Junkie

Just to note that In Debian the PPA GwOffice install will fail because of Unity dependency:

The following packages have unmet dependencies:
 gwoffice : Depends: libunity9 (>= 3.4.6) but it is not installable
E: Unable to correct problems, you have held broken packages.

Last edited by jotapesse (2012-09-19 15:27:19)

On an ASRock VisionX 321B, Asus EeeBoxPC 1501P and EeePC 1000H with Debian Sid/Experimental Xfce 4.10 Linux
Outdated How to: Install Xfce 4.10 with upgraded Apps and Plugins

#5 2012-09-19 16:01:17

Unia
#! Octo-portal-pussy

jotapesse wrote:

Just to note that In Debian the PPA GwOffice install will fail because of Unity dependency:

The following packages have unmet dependencies:
 gwoffice : Depends: libunity9 (>= 3.4.6) but it is not installable
E: Unable to correct problems, you have held broken packages.

So? Just install Unity tongue

If you can't sit by a cozy fire with your code in hand enjoying its simplicity and clarity, it needs more work. --Carlos Torres
Github

I am a #! forum moderator. Feel free to send me a PM with any question you have!

#6 2012-09-19 16:02:48

jotapesse
#! Junkie

^ Eheheheh... Thanks, but no thanks! smile

On an ASRock VisionX 321B, Asus EeeBoxPC 1501P and EeePC 1000H with Debian Sid/Experimental Xfce 4.10 Linux
Outdated How to: Install Xfce 4.10 with upgraded Apps and Plugins

#7 2013-02-14 17:14:56

pizzadragon

I wish I knew enough about developing because I'd love to help out with a project like this!

I use a desktop at home running osx/linux, an android phone, and a linux lappy at work and I'd love to have google drive accessibility file system integration for all three, but for now I have to stick with Dropbox for smooth access from all three points.

>> :: All Transmission from Base Station Polaris Intergalactic -:-:- The stars my destination! :: <<

#8 2013-02-14 18:47:24

el_koraco
#!/loony/bun

Don't see much of a use for this one. You can just use the apps in Google Chrome, it's the same editor. I mean, maybe the offline saving feature would make some kind of sense, but who's offline these days anyway?

#9 2013-02-14 19:14:32

dura
Bloated Gimp

Yes, I agree. I started this thread a while. It is redundant in my view now. Had a go with gwoffice as well as slippery python says it is clunky. Still use google docs though- have all day today...

#10 2013-02-14 19:39:55

el_koraco
#!/loony/bun

The moment moronic government agencies and clueless CEOs stop insisting people send them stuff in .doc and .odt format, most of the world will switch to Google Docs. I mean, there's got to be an end to using Excel as a database and Word as a desktop publishing program.

#11 2013-02-14 20:09:42

junkie
#! Junkie

el_koraco wrote:

The moment moronic government agencies and clueless CEOs stop insisting people send them stuff in .doc and .odt format, most of the world will switch to Google Docs. I mean, there's got to be an end to using Excel as a database and Word as a desktop publishing program.

Teachers are idiots about this too. Makes me want to send them my papers in postscript and flip them the bird.

#12 2013-02-15 01:22:56

antiv0rtex
#! Die Hard

dura wrote:

It seems abiword in Waldorf is slightly buggy (it crashes when skipping pages).

'Slightly buggy' would be an excellent nominee for understatement of the year, at least in my experience. AbiWord is a nightmare. I have found that Libreoffice is well worth its extra weight and resource-usage.

Last edited by antiv0rtex (2013-02-15 01:23:30)

Board footer