SEARCH

Enter your search query in the box above ^, or use the forum search tool.

You are not logged in.

#1 2012-09-04 19:14:32

Mjothvitnir

Want to get better, not sure where to start.

After using #! for about a week trying various configurations, accidently breaking my system, reinstalling and starting the whole process over again, I have finally come to a configuration that seems to work well. Now that I have configured my system to my liking I don't know what to do next. I want to keep learning more about Linux and programming, but I'm not sure where I should begin. If anyone could give me some tips/ideas/tutorials I could run through I would be most grateful.

Help fund CrunchBang, donate to the project!

#2 2012-09-05 04:31:45

VastOne
#! Ranger
Website

Re: Want to get better, not sure where to start.

There is really no end to what you can learn and do within Linux, it really is up to how much you want to invest.

Just know that we all started right where you are at one point and know what you are up against.  it really is not as daunting as it may seem.

CrunchBang is based on Debian, I would start by learning as much as you can about debian.  There is a Debian Administrator handbook that is an excellent reference found here

These forums are also full of incredible information ranging from just about every topic you can imagine.  Read some of the threads from all the different Forums on here and you will see the incredible help and knowledge first hand.

There is also a Wiki and a fantastic Quick Reference page that you can find at the top of any page at any time.  I would spend some time in those learning as much as you can..

Finally, ask ask ask ask ask ask ... Please ask... Never be afraid to ask...  Just try to make sure what you are asking is in the pertinent Forum area and you will be amazed at how much help you get and how soon you will be answering questions for the next new user!

Good luck!

VSIDO | Words That Build Or Destroy

We do not run from challenges, they become new innovations within VSIDO!

#3 2012-09-05 05:12:45

johnraff
#!Drunkard
Website

Hi Mjothvitnir,
I wouldn't worry too much about "what do I have to learn next". Vastone has already given you some good hints, but I'd just add:

Use your computer for what you want to do with it. Listen to online music, keep in contact with friends, create graphics, whatever it is you're interested in. Soon you'll run into things that could work better if...

...and that's the start of the slippery slope. Maybe a handy button to click, just in the place you want it, just the colour and shape you want, to start up that app you use every day? Aah, no, a script that will start up a whole set of apps... ah no, a script that will run all the commands you would have clicked buttons for and save you all that trouble...

Computers can be fun, and Linux helps make it more fun! Once you hit something you really want to do, but can't figure out, as V1 says, just ask. smile

John
--------------------
( a boring Japan blog , idle twitterings  and GitStuff )
#! forum moderator

#4 2012-09-05 15:20:32

Mjothvitnir

Alright thanks for the advice guys. I really appreciate it. big_smile

Last edited by Mjothvitnir (2012-09-05 15:20:45)

#5 2012-09-05 15:30:36

Unia
#! Octo-portal-pussy

You could also try to install a more 'advanced' distro in a virtual pc. Firstly, you'll learn how to setup a virtual pc and secondly, you'll learn some more internal workings of Linux.

I'd recommend trying Arch, as it has a perfect Beginner's Guide which will get you there guaranteed. Take a look here:
https://wiki.archlinux.org/index.php/Beginners%27_Guide

If you can't sit by a cozy fire with your code in hand enjoying its simplicity and clarity, it needs more work. --Carlos Torres
Github

I am a #! forum moderator. Feel free to send me a PM with any question you have!

#6 2012-09-05 20:57:16

VastOne
#! Ranger
Website

^ I would like to hear how Arch is more of an 'advanced' distro than debian...  Do you mean that is more hands on and because of that it would facilitate a faster learning curve?

#7 2012-09-17 13:08:26

hochrappenkopf
#! CrunchBanger

Mjothvitnir wrote:

After using #! for about a week trying various configurations, accidently breaking my system, reinstalling and starting the whole process over again, I have finally come to a configuration that seems to work well. Now that I have configured my system to my liking I don't know what to do next. I want to keep learning more about Linux and programming, but I'm not sure where I should begin. If anyone could give me some tips/ideas/tutorials I could run through I would be most grateful.

Hi,

for further reading: http://www.debian.org/doc/manuals/debian-reference/

Have a nice time with #!

"If you can dream it, you can do it!" [Walt Disney]

#8 2012-09-17 14:09:31

xf

If you use a Debian system, could be the next step: Take your favorite software from source and build your own Debian package.

Knowing how to compile programs and deal with dependencies help you a lot in future. :-)

(And you need not wait for actual repositories of others.)

Last edited by xf (2012-09-17 14:12:45)

#! CrunchBang Waldorf @ Lenovo Thinkpad X131e

#9 2012-09-17 14:14:49

VastOne
#! Ranger
Website

^ Good advice..

#10 2012-10-02 03:12:36

Diplo

I'm rather newbish myself after tinkering with linux over the last couple years on and off while I'm in school but my advice is back things up.  A reliable backup is forgiveness.  Back up configs for things you like (like conky and tint) as well as wallpapers, music etc.  I keep a text file of notes on how to configure some initial things in the case of a re-install, which is necessary sometimes after too much tinkering.  Keep learning!

#11 2012-10-02 04:13:24

Zilvarael
#! Member

All of these are good advice, I have been using Linux for close to 5 years now. Moved from Ubuntu to Mint to Arch then to CrunchBang. I have loved almost every moment of it.  I just got a hold of the debian admin book from above. I will be getting a hard copy when I get the chance!  I think I will be trying to do the source and making a deb file of my own. Could be great if I can keep all my favorite programs under one roof so all I need to do is update them if needed.

Thanks Guys big_smile

| Earth is the insane asylum of the universe... Maybe that is why UFO's dont want to land here. | Waldorf: 32Bit! big_smile |
| Lead Android App Developer for: Lions Images Productions, LLC | Other names: CodeMonkeyAlx - My Git |

#12 2012-10-05 16:47:05

KrunchTime
#! Die Hard

Mjothvitnir wrote:

I don't have any advice regarding programming, but I do have some advice regarding learning more about Linux.

First, the CrunchBang forums can be a great place to learn.  I've learned quite a bit just be reading problems and solutions posted by others, as well as the responses to questions I've asked myself.

Second, I highly recommend getting a subscription to Linux Format; www.linuxformat.com.  They even have a digital subscription available through www.zinio.com, although the Zinio reader will not work under Linux.  I brought up the digital subscription in case you own an iPad, iPhone, or Android device.  Linux Format covers Linux news, apps/pkgs, distros, and even has a section dedicated to programming.  Aha!  I guess I did have some advice regarding programming after all.

Third, follow news and info at LXer Linux News; www.lxer.com.  I've learned quite a bit from the links on this site.

Fourth, I'll repeat what others have said about the Debian Administrator's Handbook.  I've just begun reading it and it is very informative.

Last edited by KrunchTime (2012-10-05 16:48:54)

#13 2012-10-26 18:22:34

KrunchTime
#! Die Hard

Just thought of another source for learning Linux.  Check out The Geek Stuff site; www.thegeekstuff.com.  The guy who runs the site also offers a free monthly newsletter.

Board footer