SEARCH

Enter your search query in the box above ^, or use the forum search tool.

You are not logged in.

#1 2012-08-20 08:57:14

michaeledq

Finally!

Been getting my feet wet with Linux, but that’s just about it.  Never dived, never even gotten knee-deep and stayed in the water, reason being that, almost always, I would need to wade through endless material and forum puddles to find the fish of an answer to my difficulties.  And with the persistent undercurrent of the computing environment at work, I somehow always find myself back in the old and tired ways of doing things.

Debian, Knoppix, Ubuntu, Puppy, AntiX, DSL, RH, CentOS, Fedora, etc... couldn’t find a home!

Tried #! on an old laptop sometime back and I was surprised to find myself happy with it, so now, having bought a new one, I’m writing this on a freshly installed system.  After repeated installs, I have gotten a better grasp of LVM, learned to take /boot out of it, and paid greater respect to the boot flag.

Now I’m wrestling with the cb-welcome post-installation script and the display resolution!  On the verge of cursing, I think I just need to be a little more patient.  I can, of course, run the script at home where I won’t have to deal with a corporate proxy, a user domain, and what appears to be a pesky special character in my network account password, all of which seem to conspire to push me out of still another distro; but doing that, to me, spoils an honest and willful attempt to get to know #!, or Linux in general.  However, the issue will cease to be if I reach home without a solution.

And the display resolution!  I'll see if it will solve itself after the post-install scripts or other updates, or both have completed.  Otherwise, well... uhm!

I’m going knee-deep again, but I intend to stay.  Proof of the intention is this first-time registration with a Linux distro user forum.  Well, to my recall, it is.

Positive remarks I read about this community are encouraging.  Thanks to you, guys!  I hope I find my OS home.

Finally.

Be excellent to each other!

#2 2012-08-20 09:46:44

vicshrike
#! by Default

Re: Finally!

So is ours hope too...some patience and determination is all it takes, welcome to #!

#!, all else is but a shadow.

#3 2012-08-20 10:00:24

mort

Just keep at it ... it really is worth any level of effort to get it right... I can't believe I spent so many years without #! ... It just makes so many others look silly in comparison...

Welcome to the forum from one newbie to another wink

#4 2012-08-20 10:06:41

mariannemarlow
#! Die Hard
Website

I had a lot of problems with installation and configuration of #! in the beginning. Thankfully I had a lot of help here (mostly due to lovely xaos52)

I think it was worth the effort.

It was mostly due to my webbook and not the distro btw. smile

Between two evils, I always pick the one I never tried before ~ Mae West

#5 2012-08-20 10:33:15

xaos52
The Good Doctor

@OP. Post your specific problems in separate threads.
Not all members scan the introductions section for problems that need solving.

Oh, and welcome to #!

#6 2012-08-20 10:49:39

mariannemarlow
#! Die Hard
Website

@OP

See. Told you he was lovely didn't I big_smile

#7 2012-08-20 11:11:58

pidsley
Window Mangler

Welcome to #!

#8 2012-08-20 11:31:39

michaeledq

whoa big_smile you were right mariannemarlow!

i will in time, thanks xaos52!

thanks everyone for the welcome. this looks like fun!

Last edited by michaeledq (2012-08-20 11:33:54)

#9 2012-08-20 16:11:56

VastOne
#! Ranger
Website

Welcome to CrunchBang and the Community michaeledq, we are glad to have you!

VSIDO | Words That Build Or Destroy

We do not run from challenges, they become new innovations within VSIDO!

#10 2012-08-25 11:41:04

michaeledq

VastOne wrote:

Welcome to CrunchBang and the Community michaeledq, we are glad to have you!

thank you!

#11 2012-08-25 14:32:24

Tim
#! CrunchBanger

Welcome and hope you will enjoy your stay smile
#! is in my eyes a very good distro, i have also tried out too many before ive got my hand over a #! iso ^^
And the forum is very helpful and good. Nice people

Crunchy feeling #!

#12 2012-08-27 09:04:43

michaeledq

thank you, tim, and you're right, i feel i've landed in a friendly part of cyberspace. smile

i'ts been a week since my big crunchbang install, and even as i've been crunching hours on issues, i haven't felt the need to bang my head on the wall.

an interesting thought though crossed my mind: while i'd like to think i have this resolve to embrace linux, and which gives me the impetus to proceed despite some hurdles and a very slow start, i guess many others in my situation would have given up and switched back to the all-too-familiar blue wallpaper.  wink  just a thought.

#13 2012-08-27 09:15:38

omns
#! wanderer

michaeledq wrote:

, i guess many others in my situation would have given up and switched back to the all-too-familiar blue wallpaper.  wink  just a thought.

Most have been through a stop start history with Linux. Eventually though, it hooks you in smile

#14 2012-08-27 16:36:39

falldown
#! Samurai

omns wrote:
michaeledq wrote:

, i guess many others in my situation would have given up and switched back to the all-too-familiar blue wallpaper.  wink  just a thought.

Most have been through a stop start history with Linux. Eventually though, it hooks you in smile

^ very true.. You get the linux bug!! big_smile
Welcome to the community michaeledq.. hopefully we can get some of your troubles sorted out.
You will see that these guys and gal big_smile are eager to help a fellow #!'ers out.

#15 2012-08-27 16:41:48

mariannemarlow
#! Die Hard
Website

falldown wrote:

You will see that these guys and gal big_smile are eager to help a fellow #!'ers out.

I smiled at that, because -  if you are referring to me as the "gal" I don't think I have helped anyone.

But I would if I was capable! big_smile

#16 2012-08-27 16:47:53

falldown
#! Samurai

mariannemarlow wrote:

I smiled at that, because -  if you are referring to me as the "gal" I don't think I have helped anyone.

But I would if I was capable! big_smile

I was and..
You will be passing on the knowledge that you pick up from here before you know it. smile

#17 2012-08-28 00:16:55

merelyjim
#! Die Hard
Website

xaos52 wrote:

Not all members scan the introductions section for problems that need solving.!

...and more eyeballs on the problem always helps.
Welcome to #! smile

"When I enter a command... I expect ass to be hauled and the coffeelike aroma of hustle delicately hovering in the air." -thalassophile

My attempt at a blog; http://waitingonragnarok.blogspot.com/

#18 2012-08-28 01:24:38

p120d16y
#! Die Hard

Welcome, just make sure you post your issue in the appropriate forum and it'll usually be answered pretty quickly.

All tyranny needs to gain a foothold is for people of good conscience to remain silent.
---Thomas Jefferson ---

#19 2012-08-28 02:13:51

rstrcogburn
CrunchRanger
Website

howdy

That hawk just kept flying! -Ben Lilly

#20 2012-08-28 06:08:19

michaeledq

hey, y'all!

thanks rstrcogburn, mort, and pidsley.

@omns: yeah, i wanna get hooked.  that should drive away the pain.

@falldown: so there's a name to it huh - the linux bug! big_smile  several times, it did drive me back to that cow-less pasture.  the antibodies seem to be working this time, getting a boost form the #! community.

@mariannemarlow: just being around does help.  it's amazing the feminine touch can be felt online! smile

@merelyjim, @p120d16y: i very much agree.

following my original post: wanting to just get #! running right away, i jumped from the 64-bit-regular to the 64-bit+backports version.  having done that, the problems i had with the post-installation script and display resolution disapppeared.

the not-tested-as-extensively phrase was a deterrent that i had to cast aside.  i wonder how long this caveat will last. wink

#21 2012-08-28 07:27:45

mariannemarlow
#! Die Hard
Website

michaeledq wrote:

@mariannemarlow: just being around does help.  it's amazing the feminine touch can be felt online! smile

I didn't touch anyone, anyone that says I did is a liar.

Now where is my lawyer... big_smile

Board footer