SEARCH

Enter your search query in the box above ^, or use the forum search tool.

You are not logged in.

#1 2012-04-25 11:58:13

#! Member

Colourless CrunchBang

Today I happened to boot my CrunchBang liveUSB on someone's PC. He had never heard of Linux. I was amused by his question: "Is Linux black and white?".

Some people (especially geeks) prefer dark themes, but most people don't. I could suggest something like my desktop or something like the Lubuntu default theme. CrunchBang tries to be user friendly and geeky at the same time.

By the way, thank you Corenominal for CrunchBang and thank you Debian for most of the work. smile
I recently moved from Debian Squeeze (with fluxbox) to CrunchBang (stable), both are awesome by the way.

SF6rh.png

Be excellent to each other!

#2 2012-04-25 12:15:47

2ManyDogs
dv#!

Re: Colourless CrunchBang

corenominal wrote:

It is a common mistake to think that every developer wants their project to be widely popular smile

I also don't necessarily agree that "most people don't" prefer dark themes. And just how difficult was it for you to change the default theme?

Everyone thinks their desktop is the best... wink

Be eggsalad to each other.

#3 2012-04-25 12:48:21

#! Member

2ManyDogs wrote:

how difficult was it for you to change the default theme?

I'm obviously talking about first impressions.
I'm just saying that a classical default theme would be nice, people like that stuff or at least are used to that. It's not difficult to change it from a classical desktop to a geeky desktop either.

2ManyDogs wrote:

Everyone thinks their desktop is the best... wink

I'm not saying that my desktop is the best, although I like it, but it's a classical desktop. Maybe it's a bit too colourful for the average Joe, but that can be easily fixed.

Last edited by 384403 (2012-04-25 12:48:40)

#4 2012-04-25 12:56:32

rhowaldt
#!*$%:)

what i loved about #! when i first installed it (as my first linux distro) was the fact that i was presented with a pretty much blank slate. it invited me to customize it, to set it up how i wanted it to be, not how some dev or designer thought i'd want it (looking at you Apple!). i know that this is probably something personal, and others will want to be pampered and want to spend their energy on other stuff instead of designing their own desktop. that's fine. changing a wallpaper takes 2 seconds, approximately. but having the wallpaper there with the first install would ruin that whole 'almost blank slate' thing that #! has. that would be a shame, i think.

#5 2012-04-25 13:07:11

#! Member

rhowaldt wrote:

what i loved about #! when i first installed it (as my first linux distro) was the fact that i was presented with a pretty much blank slate.

I would call Arch a blank slate and some people want that, I used to do that with Debian. CrunchBang does not seem to be a "blank slate" at all.

Last edited by 384403 (2012-04-25 13:10:19)

#6 2012-04-25 13:08:44

2ManyDogs
dv#!

^ well said, rhowaldt. I think #! actually invites you to customize it, with the simple default, the direct menu links to the openbox config files, and a forum full of "geeks" who are happy to show you how. And if you can leave it at the defaults if you want a distro that "just works" and stays out of your way. It's not for everyone, and doesn't try to be. There are plenty of bright distros out there making good first impressions on non-geeks.

(edit) check out this interview with Philip, and notice the screenshot at the end. I don't see #! straying much from shades of gray anytime soon...

Last edited by 2ManyDogs (2012-04-25 13:12:41)

Be eggsalad to each other.

#7 2012-04-25 14:33:50

#! Member

2ManyDogs wrote:

check out this interview with Philip, and notice the screenshot at the end. I don't see #! straying much from shades of gray anytime soon...

I believe his desktop is a bit cluttered, I may be able to help a bit. smile

His cluttered desktop:
tJ62Wl.png

His uncluttered desktop:
e0NK2l.png

Anyway, all this is coming from a user (me) who was happy for years with this:
dCccml.jpg

ivEpQl.jpg

By the way, that wallpaper with the nebula is far nicer than any default wallpaper from CrunchBang.

Last edited by 384403 (2012-04-25 14:35:34)

#8 2012-04-25 14:37:25

rhowaldt

@384403: well, that's why i said 'almost blank slate'. no, it isn't completely blank. but hey, neither is Arch. you know what is a blank slate? LFS.

the point is, when you enter #!... wait. the point is, when i entered #! for the 1st time, i saw so much space and possibility i was enthusiastic and wanted to tweak stuff. that's what i mean by 'blank slate'. it's more of a feeling than a literal blank slate. it would've been a black or grey slate anyway smile

#9 2012-04-25 15:11:48

pvsage
Internal Affairs

384403 wrote:

I'm just saying that a classical default theme would be nice

Classical, you say? tongue
Apple_Macintosh_Desktop.png
I'd say that, with the exception of the desktop icons and the unified menu, the CrunchBang defaults come pretty close. cool

Yes; as a matter of fact, I am a cop.  Why do you ask? cool
I'm a moderator here.  How are we doing?  Feedback is encouraged.

#10 2012-04-25 15:18:38

#! Member

pvsage wrote:

Ok, maybe a modern classical desktop. smile

#11 2012-04-25 15:47:23

vicshrike
#! by Default

Hey, that uncluttered desktop in p7 is mine! big_smile

#!, all else is but a shadow

#12 2012-04-26 10:25:28

nore
#! Junkie

384403 wrote:
pvsage wrote:

modern classical

That is an oxymoron, isn't it? #000000 is the new black. Fashion is not what verybody is wearing, it is what everybody will be wearing next month.

Being covered with piles of visual garbage causes stress. I try to avoid it, whenever possible.

#13 2012-04-26 11:40:22

#! Member

nore wrote:
384403 wrote:

modern classical

That is an oxymoron, isn't it?

It was, in fact, a joke. I think you all know what I'm talking about. I'm not talking about Unity or Gnome 3, windows 8 or the next big thing in desktop interfaces (or smartphone interfaces).

I'm talking about normal, sane interfaces, a blank screen is not a sane interface, I'm sorry to say, although some people like that and I respect that, to each his own I guess.

CrunchBang is obviously not a blank screen, but instead of the conky keyboard shortcuts, why not put launchers in tint2 to do exactly the same thing? Who wants keyboard shortcuts can make his own. A wallpaper would also be nice. Again I'll say, I find the Lubuntu default interface nice, it's simple, it's not cluttered, it's visually pleasing and it doesn't scream with colours, like mine, but it's also not black and white, like CrunchBang.

nore wrote:
384403 wrote:

modern classical

Being covered with piles of visual garbage causes stress. I try to avoid it, whenever possible.

One man's garbage is another man's gold. Does the default interface of Lubuntu cause you stress? Is it full of visual garbage?

W8AKzl.png

#14 2012-04-26 12:31:16

saneks
#! Die Hard

384403 wrote:

CrunchBang is obviously not a blank screen, but instead of the conky keyboard shortcuts, why not put launchers in tint2 to do exactly the same thing? Who wants keyboard shortcuts can make his own. A wallpaper would also be nice. Again I'll say, I find the Lubuntu default interface nice, it's simple, it's not cluttered, it's visually pleasing and it doesn't scream with colours, like mine, but it's also not black and white, like CrunchBang.

One man's garbage is another man's gold. Does the default interface of Lubuntu cause you stress? Is it full of visual garbage?

as for me, I would immediately change the lubuntu theme to darkgrey, have a black or greyscale wallpaper and try to figure out how to remove the menu button with the logo, the small icons in the menu and delete the launchers in the panel. cause all this stresses me out big_smile - crunchbang looks the way corenominal likes it, and most of us are happy with his wise decisions. it does not look like a *buntu or puppy or whatever, and that's one of crunchbang's unique selling points IMO. if you want a distro that looks like lubuntu, you can use lubuntu. or just install lxde or xfce and change the themes..

and why would I want launchers when I have great keyboard shortcuts and my favourite app two clicks away in the right click menu? - you can easily install a dock or whatever. the awesome default shortcuts are another one of #! USPs.

I think it's not necessary to discuss this much further. corenominal does what he likes anyway, and we all are able to change #! as we wish. the rest is personal taste.

to quote you: "One man's garbage is another man's gold." -- In fact all the things your criticize got me hooked with crunchbang wink

Last edited by saneks (2012-04-26 12:52:28)

eee701 user & other lap/desktops

#15 2012-04-26 13:30:22

gutterslob
#! Resident Bum

2ManyDogs wrote:

check out this interview with Philip, and notice the screenshot at the end. I don't see #! straying much from shades of gray anytime soon...

I'm pretty sure Papanominal wanted it pure black, but the lawsuits from Mr. Peachy made him go grey. Damn Peach!! tongue

By the way, that wallpaper with the nebula is far nicer than any default wallpaper from CrunchBang.

Apple might patent troll Papanominal if he included that, since they claim to have invented the universe and all (though I'm pretty sure they stole that from Xerox PARC as well).

384403 wrote:

Does the default interface of Lubuntu cause you stress? Is it full of visual garbage?

It's got shiny gradients in it, so yes, it's garbage tongue

Point & Squirt

#16 2012-04-26 13:53:58

rhowaldt

^ yeah, what's up with those gradients?

btw, i remember the original crunchbang to at least come with a wallpaper. it was black, and had a white #! in the middle. pretty stylish, if you ask me smile

#17 2012-04-26 14:09:46

#! Member

saneks wrote:

In fact all the things your criticize got me hooked with crunchbang wink

This is silly. You seem to be on CrunchBang because of the default theme.
I'm on CrunchBang because my beloved Debian Squeeze is under the hood. I didn't even notice the default theme until that guy asked me if Linux is black and white.

I'm speaking for the average Joe when I'm saying that if CrunchBang wants to make a good first impression, it needs to look less scary. As for me, I don't care what default theme it has, it could be pink for all I care, I change it immediately anyway.

I rest my case.

Last edited by 384403 (2012-04-26 14:12:10)

#18 2012-04-26 14:10:57

pvsage
Internal Affairs

^^ & ^^^:  Before Feb 2012, just about every CrunchBang release had some variation of "#!", "CrunchBang Linux" (sometimes on top of the Debian Magic Smoke), etc.  The current release does still have most of those in /usr/share/backgrounds, but I think it would be great if something other than the transparent image were set as wallpaper in the live release and default install.

@Slob-san:  If I'm not mistaken, the default Statler themes have shiny gradients too.  Garbage? tongue lol

#19 2012-04-26 14:15:53

saneks
#! Die Hard

Call me silly, but yes - from the first impression #! of crunchbang 9.04 with the calm default theme, the clean uncluttered desktop, the awesome keybinds and well-thought details, crunchbang became my favourite. now it has debian under hood, even better. it is not the theme, it is the whole setup. for me it is just good as it is.

I say this discussion is pretty pointless, because it is about personal taste. IMO crunchbang makes a good first impression. all you say can be used against you smile

and #! just does not need to be everybody's darling..

eee701 user & other lap/desktops

#20 2012-04-26 14:22:54

snowpine
#!-a-roo

#! almost qualifies as its own desktop environment; just as LXDE is a desktop environment built on openbox, so too would I describe a sort of "#!DE" that's been evolving since the 2008 release. It has a distinct identity and has attracted quite a few loyal users through the years.

/hugged

#21 2012-04-26 14:49:10

pvsage
Internal Affairs

"#!DE" - YES!!!  But maybe it should be named something a package manager could reasonably find without any character escapes...maybe CrunchDE?  Is that one taken yet?

#22 2012-04-26 14:54:44

snowpine
#!-a-roo

"DeskBang"? big_smile

/hugged

#23 2012-04-26 15:03:20

VastOne
#! Ranger
Website

^ Sold! smile

VSIDO | SolusOS

Words That Build Or Destroy

#24 2012-04-26 15:06:46

pvsage
Internal Affairs

^ & ^^:  I like it too. cool  Sounds a little naughty - like an office romance gone horribly right - which is never a bad thing.

Be excellent to each other!

#25 2012-04-26 15:07:15

VastOne
#! Ranger
Website

Tabula Rasa = Good
Choice/Change = Good
Each with their own designs/opinions = Priceless

VSIDO | SolusOS

Words That Build Or Destroy

Board footer