SEARCH

Enter your search query in the box above ^, or use the forum search tool.

You are not logged in.

#1 2009-03-23 13:00:09

ADcomp
Python Script Master
Website

Cairo Composite Manager

Hi everyone ..

I was looking for information about "Cairo" for my project "ADeskBar" and I found this:  Cairo Composite Manager

Source : http://cairo-compmgr.tuxfamily.org/

Cairo Composite Manager is a versatile and extensible composite manager which use cairo for rendering. Rendering can be done in 2D or 3D, using Xrender and Glitz backends. Plugins can be used to add some cool effects to your desktop.

You can get latest tarball here : http://download.tuxfamily.org/ccm/cairo-compmgr/
or the ubuntu intrepid packages here : http://cairo-compmgr.tuxfamily.org/down … -packages/

Quick video sample : http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Zky8C8SzcTA

I think when this project will be more mature, it will be a serious competitor to 'Xcompmgr'

My 2 cents .. Bye

David

David [aka] ADcomp

Be excellent to each other!

#2 2009-03-24 10:12:41

Nik_Doof
#! Junkie
Website

Re: Cairo Composite Manager

Interesting, I'll check it out. Xcompmgr gives me so many issues, usually relating to misrendering and memory leaks roll

#3 2009-03-25 12:00:02

corenominal
WRONG
Website

Thank you for sharing this, I have only tried it briefly, but it looks like a really promising project. I will play with it some more over the coming days. smile

#4 2009-03-29 10:00:35

Nik_Doof
#! Junkie
Website

This has a major blocker for anyone using the nvidia drivers.

http://cairo-compmgr.tuxfamily.org/bugs … t=1&status[0]=

#5 2009-03-29 10:10:58

ADcomp
Python Script Master
Website

@ Nik_Doof : I'm using the nvidia drivers ( for GeForce 7300 )  and it works fine. Did I miss something ?

David [aka] ADcomp

#6 2009-03-29 10:17:11

Nik_Doof
#! Junkie
Website

Can you post your xorg.conf? The original bug reporter uses a 5200, i've got a 6800, maybe the newer cards use a different stack internally and are not affected.

#7 2009-03-29 11:01:58

Piraja
#! Die Hard

Might be nice, but it does not seem to work with the buggy old Intel i845 GC (just tested)...

nxw39u_th.jpg

... while this is how my desktop should look.

Last edited by Piraja (2009-03-29 11:09:32)

I never use smilies, but there are exceptions that prove the rule wink
Now playing: Libre.fm

#8 2009-03-29 11:33:38

ADcomp
Python Script Master
Website

Nik_Doof wrote:

Can you post your xorg.conf? The original bug reporter uses a 5200, i've got a 6800, maybe the newer cards use a different stack internally and are not affected.

no problem .. I'm not on my desktop (with nvidia)  right now. So I post it later. maybe tonight ..

Piraja wrote:

Might be nice, but it does not seem to work with the buggy old Intel i845 GC (just tested)...

Do you set image in config file .. ?  ~/.config/cairo-compmgr/ccm-screen-0.conf

And if you don't set the same image (as normal desktop ) conky / tint doesn't change ..

Bye

David [aka] ADcomp

#9 2009-03-29 15:00:52

Piraja
#! Die Hard

ADcomp wrote:

Do you set image in config file .. ?  ~/.config/cairo-compmgr/ccm-screen-0.conf

Oh yes, thanks! I was too quick to pass judgment. Well, the old Intel graphics card is not really good enough for compositing anyway, and I use also Xcompmgr very seldom on this ancient desktop (it works reasonably well when I "need" a transparent terminal). But I think I will try Cairo-compmgr on other hardware soonish, it seems pretty sharp.

I never use smilies, but there are exceptions that prove the rule wink
Now playing: Libre.fm

#10 2009-03-29 15:54:00

ADcomp
Python Script Master
Website

@Nik_Doof : my xorg config file

Section "Monitor"
    Identifier    "Configured Monitor"
EndSection

Section "Screen"
    Identifier    "Default Screen"
    Monitor        "Configured Monitor"
    Device        "Configured Video Device"
    DefaultDepth    24
EndSection

Section "Module"
    Load    "glx"
    Load     "dbe"
EndSection

Section "Device"
    Identifier    "Configured Video Device"
    Driver    "nvidia"
    Option    "NoLogo"    "True"
    Option "XAANoOffscreenPixmaps"
    Option "NoFlip" "True"
EndSection

original size : 1440x900

.cairo-comp_1_m.jpg

original size : 1440x900

.cairo-comp_2_m.jpg

It take more "cpu" than xcompmgr .. but I like cool effect on menu  big_smile

Bye

David [aka] ADcomp

#11 2009-04-01 14:31:00

iggykoopa
Script Master

works decent on my mini 9 but slower than xcompmgr, I do like it better but it's just to slow to be usable. Once my desktop gets here I might give it another shot.

I say never be complete, I say stop being perfect, I say lets evolve, let the chips fall where they may.

#12 2010-07-11 15:59:43

Zen:Core
#! CrunchBanger

Hate to dredge an old thread, but I thought it better than starting a new one.

I ran across Cairo Composite Manager after playing with Adeskbar, then I ran across this thread after the fact. Anyway, I've been using this for a few days now (V.0.3.0) and I'm pretty happy with it. I'm not super into compositing, but this gives me the perfect amount of eye candy and I haven't had the urge to learn Xcompmgr (and xcompmgr doesn't seem too complete?).

Animated Menus
Menu Transparency
Transparent Terminals that work
And Adeskbar's effects work really smooth (Terminal, Menu, Etc.)
Window fading and open/close animation.

There's a couple of issues I've found though (Like always it could be me).

1. The Menu Transparency isn't always consistent. Sometimes it's transparent other times not or sometimes part of it is, the menu animation always works.
2.Windows and the Menu after closing can leave artifacts, sometimes it'll even leave an undecorated window on the screen, but changing workspace or clicking the screen makes it go away. Oddly, it seems that if I let PCManFM control my desktop then I don't have these issues.

If you've never tried letting PCManFM control the desktop to start it:

pcmanfm --desktop

And for preferences like to change wallpaper:

pcmanfm --desktop-pref

Doing this will put the Icons of what ever's in your Desktop folder on the Desktop. I don't use my Desktop folder, so my screen is empty.

3. The last little bug I've noticed is that for some reason without Tint2 windows that open as full screen get fowled up. Minimizing then maximizing fixes it, so does opening 2 instances then closing the messed up one. I say it's without Tint2, because I haven't had the issue, but my Wife has. She stopped using Tint2 and is only using Adekbar now. I messed with her system trying to figure out what was wrong. All I figured out was that disabling Cairo Comp fixed it or enabling Tint2 fixed it.

Overall I still like Cairo Comp. I'm not using all of it's effects and it runs well enough. Try it out. You never know you might not have the same bugs I do. YMMV.

|My Band: 12 Honest Men|

#13 2010-07-15 04:01:42

corenominal
WRONG
Website

I have now switched to using CCM and I prefer it over xcompmgr. I have noticed some issues with the menu animations, which seem to be very flunky when right-clicking. I have disabled all the plugins apart from the shadows. It seems to be very stable and unlike xcompmgr, does not need to be restarted every other day, or so. I am excited to see how it develops. smile

#14 2011-03-06 09:16:32

Milozzy
#! Die Hard
Website

Zen:Core wrote:

Hate to dredge an old thread, but I thought it better than starting a new one.

I ran across Cairo Composite Manager after playing with Adeskbar, then I ran across this thread after the fact. Anyway, I've been using this for a few days now (V.0.3.0) and I'm pretty happy with it. I'm not super into compositing, but this gives me the perfect amount of eye candy and I haven't had the urge to learn Xcompmgr (and xcompmgr doesn't seem too complete?).

Animated Menus
Menu Transparency
Transparent Terminals that work
And Adeskbar's effects work really smooth (Terminal, Menu, Etc.)
Window fading and open/close animation.

There's a couple of issues I've found though (Like always it could be me).

1. The Menu Transparency isn't always consistent. Sometimes it's transparent other times not or sometimes part of it is, the menu animation always works.
2.Windows and the Menu after closing can leave artifacts, sometimes it'll even leave an undecorated window on the screen, but changing workspace or clicking the screen makes it go away. Oddly, it seems that if I let PCManFM control my desktop then I don't have these issues.

If you've never tried letting PCManFM control the desktop to start it:

pcmanfm --desktop

And for preferences like to change wallpaper:

pcmanfm --desktop-pref

Doing this will put the Icons of what ever's in your Desktop folder on the Desktop. I don't use my Desktop folder, so my screen is empty.

3. The last little bug I've noticed is that for some reason without Tint2 windows that open as full screen get fowled up. Minimizing then maximizing fixes it, so does opening 2 instances then closing the messed up one. I say it's without Tint2, because I haven't had the issue, but my Wife has. She stopped using Tint2 and is only using Adekbar now. I messed with her system trying to figure out what was wrong. All I figured out was that disabling Cairo Comp fixed it or enabling Tint2 fixed it.

Overall I still like Cairo Comp. I'm not using all of it's effects and it runs well enough. Try it out. You never know you might not have the same bugs I do. YMMV.

I have the same problem with the right click...have you solved?

I really like cairo-comp too!

Board footer