SEARCH

Enter your search query in the box above ^, or use the forum search tool.

You are not logged in.

#1 2012-03-03 20:41:03

SabreWolfy
#! Die Hard

Distribution with tiling WM

I'm interested in looking at stumpwm and/or other tiling window managers. Are there any distributions which ship with a tiling window manager as default? I know I can install the appropriate package but I wanted to test from a distribution directly.

Support #!Waldorf • Debian sid • Xubuntu • siduction • Peppermint • OpenBox • Xfce • LXDE •

Help fund CrunchBang, donate to the project!

#2 2012-03-03 20:53:48

2ManyDogs
dv#!

Re: Distribution with tiling WM

LivARP ships with several WMs, including DWM and echinus. I'm a little curious why you need(want) a distro that ships with a tiler -- it's super easy to install another WM on #!; you'll learn something in the process, and you can test any and all of the ones you're interested in, not just the ones others have decided to include...

Last edited by 2ManyDogs (2012-03-03 20:55:08)

Be eggsalad to each other.

#3 2012-03-03 20:56:56

SabreWolfy
#! Die Hard

Thanks. What your say is true but I don't want to break my existing system in the process smile If the tiling WM uses a different display manager or something then even uninstalling it might leave my machine poked?

Last edited by SabreWolfy (2012-03-03 21:00:01)

Support #!Waldorf • Debian sid • Xubuntu • siduction • Peppermint • OpenBox • Xfce • LXDE •

#4 2012-03-03 20:59:11

SabreWolfy
#! Die Hard

[LiveARP looks quite interesting, and it's Debian smile]

#5 2012-03-03 21:22:33

2ManyDogs
dv#!

SabreWolfy wrote:

Thanks. What your say is true but I don't want to break my existing system in the process smile If the tiling WM uses a different display manager or something then even uninstalling it might leave my machine poked?

No, now that #! uses GDM again, usually after you install the new WM there's usually an entry in the GDM login for the new WM, you just pick it and log in. GDM will give you the option to set it as the default; if you don't choose this as soon as you log out you're back to your original WM. (Trust me, I've hopped more WMs than I'd like to admit).  If you get totally hung up you can always switch to console 1 (ctrl-alt-F1) and shut down from there. Then when you start your machine back up you'll be back to your original WM. I've installed and uninstalled quite a few and haven't broken anything yet...

If you're talking about installing a whole new distro to get a new WM, just install a separate #! and add the WMs to that. I have a test install with about 6 WMs on it right now; my main machine has three (openbox, JWM, and spectrwm).

It's easy -- if you have questions after you get started, just ask (but not about stumpwm -- that's one I haven't tried yet)...

Last edited by 2ManyDogs (2012-03-03 21:23:05)

#6 2012-03-03 21:29:45

SabreWolfy
#! Die Hard

I'm on r201102 so I'll install GDM first. I'm familiar with switching between DEs in GDM from my Ubuntu days, so I'm glad that this will be the same. There are so many minimal/tiling WMs that the only way to select one is to install and try them all smile

#7 2012-03-03 21:33:29

2ManyDogs
dv#!

Go for it! smile One hint -- figure out how to start a terminal in the new WM before you even start it -- once in a while I've started a new WM and been faced with a total black screen and no right click menu. Now what? If you at least know how to start a terminal you can work from there... and some WMs don't install a .desktop file so they don't show up in GDM, but it's not hard to create one, or you can go hardcore and get rid of GDM and just do startx -- but we'll take it one step at a time for now...

Last edited by 2ManyDogs (2012-03-03 21:41:00)

#8 2012-03-03 21:54:50

lowrider
#! Die Hard

@thewolf
LivArp is really nice. Based on Debian stable, low on resources... nothing wrong, give it a try.

came for the distro, stayed for the community
streamripper :: smxi

#9 2012-03-04 03:13:55

ivanovnegro
Ivan #000000

WM hopping is easier and maybe saner as installing other DEs onto your #! install, @2Many covered that good.

#10 2012-03-04 10:08:21

SabreWolfy
#! Die Hard

stumpwm is quite nice, but will take some getting used to smile "C-t c" will open a terminal, so that's all you have to remember smile And "C-t ?" will open a help dialog which lists shortcut keys.

Installed GDM on my 32-bit r201102 #! installation (replacing SLim) and then installed stumpwm via apt-get. Used this thread to help me add a .desktop entry for stumpwm so that it appears in GDM.

Running stumpwm now. The interface/system/key-bindings will be quite familiar to anyone who know Emacs. I would need to setup a key-binding for gmrun, although in stumpwm using "C-t !" provides a dialog to run a command via "/bin/sh".

There is no panel, so I just run "tint2restart" manually, but network and volume icons are not present. Running "nm-applet" via "C-t !" showed the networking icon. Running "volumeicon" shows the ... volume icon.

Text saying "Default" appears on the left of the panel. This is the name of the default "group". Multiple/virtual desktops in stumpwm are called groups. A group added with "C-t g c" appeared as a second virtual desktop in tint2. I tried "C-t g k", which, not surprisingly, killed the group.

Depending on how much time I have available, I'll figure out more. The stumpwm manual was very useful, particularly the page listing key-bindings. Here is another page with more configuration settings I have not explored  yet.

Last edited by SabreWolfy (2012-03-04 10:29:06)

#11 2012-03-04 10:49:04

gensym
#! Junkie

Edith says: You can also use the battery, memory, network and the cpu modules but i have had some problem running them under kernel 3.2 , though if you use #! stable, those shouldn't cause any problem (i.e the battery thingy makes stumpwm crash due to some path changes). If i am not mistaken %B should add a battery indicator %c a cpu indicator and etc.

As far as the volume icon thingy goes, you should give the aumix module a try.
And ceni is a nice replacement for network manager :=)
PS: I should never post before reading the entire post :P

Last edited by gensym (2012-03-04 10:59:25)

'Multiple exclamation marks,' he went on, shaking his head, 'are a sure sign of a diseased mind.', {Eric}

#12 2012-03-04 10:59:50

SabreWolfy
#! Die Hard

^ Thanks. I use mpd, but on another machine, so I commented out and edited accordingly and ended up with this:

(setf   *mode-line-border-color*    "White"
        *window-border-style*    :thick
        *mode-line-background-color* "Black"
        *mode-line-timeout*    10
        *group-format*        "%t"
        *window-format*        " (%n%s%m%10c)")

(mode-line)

as a minimal example. Hitting 'C-t ;' and entering 'restart-soft' gives me an error about "EVAL: undefined function MODE-LINE".

I'm still reading about the mode-line here, so maybe I can figure it out.

stumpwm modeline uses the dock area; killing tint2 and then entering "C-t ;" mode-line turned the mode-line on. I don't know if it is using a default or the one above.

Last edited by SabreWolfy (2012-03-04 11:10:30)

#13 2012-03-04 11:12:15

gensym
#! Junkie

That's weird...  Did you set "stumpwm" as the current namespace?
(Do you have an

(in-package :stumpwm)

at the beginning of your resource file?)

'Multiple exclamation marks,' he went on, shaking his head, 'are a sure sign of a diseased mind.', {Eric}

#14 2012-03-04 11:17:00

SabreWolfy
#! Die Hard

^ I didn't have a ~/.stumpwmrc file, so I created it and pasted your previous example in. Adding the code you've just quoted to the top of ~/.stumpwmrc worked though -- the (mode-line) at the end is now executed. Still figuring out why an example with the date is still appearing, instead of your example.

#15 2012-03-04 11:25:56

gensym
#! Junkie

^ I don't understand do you see the time or don't see the time?

Adding the configuration you just posted, I have no time.

In case you want to see the time, try adding the following to the setf clause you just posted.

*screen-mode-line-format*
               (list "[^B%n^b] ^3*" '(:eval (run-shell-command "date '+%R, %F %a'|tr -d [:cntrl:]" t)) " ^6*%w") 

#16 2012-03-04 11:31:17

SabreWolfy
#! Die Hard

^ Yes, I used an example from the manual which included the time and it worked, then I took it out and tried your example and soft restarted, but still got the time. I think something got broken somewhere, because I changed the mode-line to bottom too, then back to top and it kept appearing at the bottom. I've restarted the machine and it seems fine now. I'll try your date example now, thanks smile

#17 2012-03-04 11:32:17

SabreWolfy
#! Die Hard

Ah, great, the time is now appearing in a yellow/mustard colour on the left and then the open windows in cyan. Nice smile

#18 2012-03-04 11:33:27

gensym
#! Junkie

The ^number sets the color, if you don't like it you can change it smile

#19 2012-03-04 11:34:38

SabreWolfy
#! Die Hard

Yeah, I was just reading about that. It was just nice to see some colour in stumpwm smile

#20 2012-03-04 11:41:18

gensym
#! Junkie

SabreWolfy wrote:

^ Yes, I used an example from the manual which included the time and it worked, then I took it out and tried your example and soft restarted, but still got the time. I think something got broken somewhere, because I changed the mode-line to bottom too, then back to top and it kept appearing at the bottom. I've restarted the machine and it seems fine now. I'll try your date example now, thanks smile

Ahhhh, I now understand your problem!
The restart-soft just re-evaluates the configuration file, without restarting the lisp process. This means that any variables, that were previously set, and are not overwritten by the new configuration file will still exist with their old values after the soft restart (unless you set them to nil or what not).
You didn't have a *screen-mode-line-format* in the setf clause you posted, so stumpwm read it from the default config that was originaly set when the lisp-process was first started.
Now that you have it stumpwm reads it from the new config file.

tl;dr Deletions and etc. take effect first after a hard restart.

Last edited by gensym (2012-03-04 11:41:58)

#21 2012-03-04 12:01:36

SabreWolfy
#! Die Hard

Ok, thanks for that explanation -- that makes sense and explains some of the strange things I was seeing, or not seeing! smile

#22 2012-03-05 14:08:09

SabreWolfy
#! Die Hard

Trashed stumpwm after it hard-restarted on me too many times. The last time was when downloading an attachment from Gmail in Iceweasel. Just does a hard restart and dumps me back to the GDM login. Not cool, when I have a browser open with many tabs and logged into sites, and several consoles open, some of them logged into remote machines ... sad No matter though... I love OpenBox anyway. I just wanted to get a feel for tiling window managers. I did quite like stumpwm though, as I'm familiar with Emacs.

#23 2012-03-05 14:16:30

2ManyDogs
dv#!

Good job getting it all running, especially when you picked a WM to start that didn't build its own .desktop file. There are plenty of others out there to play with. I've been fiddling with snapwm this morning. It's fairly easy to configure (although not as easy as spectrwm), and seems pretty stable to me, but gutterslob had some crashes when he tried it.

#24 2012-03-05 15:45:25

gensym
#! Junkie

...or you can just give scrotum a try. It's quite decent and a lot easier to configure than stumpwm wink
Besides, it's all what cool kids use these days big_smile

Be excellent to each other!

#25 2012-03-05 16:30:48

SabreWolfy
#! Die Hard

Ooh, the cool kids are using scrotwm? smile I think I will actually give it a try sometime smile

Board footer