SEARCH

Enter your search query in the box above ^, or use the forum search tool.

You are not logged in.

#1 2012-02-26 04:15:48

safetycopy
urban legend

Unmet Dependencies

So, I've run into a slightly weird problem. I just installed the new 64-bit stable iso (crunchbang-10-20120207-amd64) and everything's been fine.

I program with Ruby, so now I'm working on installing RVM. When I try to install the dependencies for that, I get an error:

Some packages could not be installed. This may mean that you have
requested an impossible situation or if you are using the unstable
distribution that some required packages have not yet been created
or been moved out of Incoming.
The following information may help to resolve the situation:

The following packages have unmet dependencies:
 libsqlite3-dev : Depends: libsqlite3-0 (= 3.7.3-1) but 3.7.8-1~bpo60+1 is to be installed

So, I seem to have a backports sqlite3 package in there (if I'm understanding things), but I'm not using the backports CrunchBang release.

If I try to remove 3.7.8-1~bpo60+1 it wants to take a whole bunch of software with it.

Any ideas on how to resolve this?

Last edited by safetycopy (2012-02-26 04:16:46)

i wonder if i missed the warning
Skinny Puppy, Love in Vein

Help fund CrunchBang, donate to the project!

#2 2012-02-26 18:53:33

Stanie
#! CrunchBanger

Re: Unmet Dependencies

Hello, it seems to me that you have indeed backports enabled.
Check your sources.list in /etc/apt/ and add hash to all the lines with backports.
Then run sudo apt-get update and you should be able to continue with installing ruby.
In case you already have some packages from backports and you need their "normal" debian version I would go with downgrading instead of uninstalling these packages...

A secure alternative to Dropbox with complete privacy = SpiderOak. Join it using my referral and get a total of 3 GB to start with.

#3 2012-02-26 21:41:33

safetycopy
urban legend

I was hoping it would be possible to do something like that, but I'm not sure how to go about it. I'll look into it - cheers!

#4 2012-02-26 23:21:50

safetycopy
urban legend

OK, so I've been looking into this. I thought it was a bit weird to have a backports package on my system when I didn't use the backports release of #!. After a little digging I realised that the package in question was actually pulled in by the CrunchBang Mozilla mirror repo.

To be honest, I'm not sure how to handle this and in the process of "having a go" I've broken things pretty well big_smile So, I'm going to reinstall, but thought this was worth bringing up.

#5 2012-02-27 08:15:46

Stanie
#! CrunchBanger

^ Hmm, pitty about the reinstall...

What I would recommend to do right after a fresh install of CB:
- quit cb-welcome script
- check sources.list (in /etc/apt/) and comment out all unwanted repos (like backports, I also apply this to CB Mozilla and CB Multimedia)
- check preferences (in /etc/apt/) and if you have it there, lower the priority of squeeze-backports if it is set higher than the priority of squeeze packages that you prefer
- and only after this run cb-welcome in terminal

A secure alternative to Dropbox with complete privacy = SpiderOak. Join it using my referral and get a total of 3 GB to start with.

#6 2012-02-27 13:16:07

pvsage
Internal Affairs

^ Just increase priority of Squeeze to 500 and you'll block the automatic backports updates.

What I usually do with a fresh install is:
1.  When cb_welcome pops up, I immediately open a new terminal.
2.  In the new terminal, I tweak my /etc/apt/sources.list and /etc/apt/preferences/.  (I usually just replace the CrunchBang Debian Multimedia mirror with www.debian-multimedia.org.)
3.  I return to the waiting cb-welcome script.
This is essentially the same as Stanie wrote above, but without exiting cb_welcome.

I'm a moderator here.  How are we doing?  Feedback is encouraged.

#7 2012-02-27 21:46:14

ivanovnegro
Ivan #000000

With the danger to make my comments even more unpopular, there is a design fault in default #!, even if you decide to use the unbackported image.

The #! Multimedia and #! Mozilla repos are the first problem and the second the priority of Squeeze. This way even if you decide to take the unbackported image you would encounter problems once you enable them at your own.

Also, if you want an image without backports, it does not make sense to have the #! Mozilla backports repo there by default if that is really the case. That destroys the purpose of not having backports enabled on a default install.

Last edited by ivanovnegro (2012-02-27 21:46:40)

#8 2012-02-27 21:52:17

rhowaldt
#!*$%:)

ivanov, just know that i'll never hate your comments. if something needs to be told straight, you don't shy away from telling it. we all want to work to either make #! an even better OS and/or make the community thrive, and you're doing a great job at both, imo. keep up the good work.

#9 2012-02-27 21:58:38

ivanovnegro
Ivan #000000

Thank you @rhowaldt. smile

#10 2012-02-27 22:12:20

snowpine
#!-a-roo

Seconded. smile

/hugged

#11 2012-02-27 23:00:36

safetycopy
urban legend

Yeah, the Mozilla backports thing is what threw me - hence mentioning it here.

Thanks for the advice as always, though smile

#12 2012-03-22 21:35:55

ahasan

Hello,
I hit this as well. I wanted to install a local version of pysqlite and needed the sqlite3 header files from libsqlite3-dev. What I did was in synaptic to click on the package and then go to the Package->Force Version and select the latest version. That uninstalled iceweasle, and xulrunner, but I think that my system is ok.
hth
adil

#13 2012-03-28 04:02:21

Erasmus
Website

Hello to All,

I  had been running Statler-10 20110207 an both 32 and 64 bit platforms with absolutely No problems of any kind,  least all of Dependency issues.
Debian is famous for apt and dealing really well with dependency issues, it Ain't Slackware, which has good package management, but NO dependency checking!

Then... I tried out ( 20120207  Non-Backport Please! )  it was a  majorly Huge Disappointment.  All of a sudden development libraries of  all  kinds wouldn't install,
panic sets in,  it took a while and I found that indeed there were Backports installed  through  a  Supposedly  Stable image.
I gotta say that I almost lost a little faith in  #!  Visions of  that other large Debian derivative came into my mind, everything going off in myriad different directions,
"Choke, Gasp, say it Ain't so !!!"

If I forget to edit all the apt configuration stuff at the Beginning  of a New Install, I will wind up with a Broken box,   not an encouraging thought,  huh?
Of course  there was some mention when Phillip put out this release that there might be issues, but I guess I was taken by surrprise when they broke
package dependencies,  that just ain't what you expect and caught me totally off guard, duh!

Thanks to everyone for pointing out that If you do Think at the beginning of an install,  you Can prevent it hosing  your  install!

"This  project  will   require  drinking  a  great  deal  of  tea!"

#14 2012-03-28 06:08:35

ivanovnegro
Ivan #000000

^ I have specifically created a thread to deal with that problem and I am on your side with this, a bad decision.
The unbackported ISO has backports, contradictory.
Take a look, of course you can ignore adding backports in my thread but you have to change the apt preferences and remove all Statler nonsense, I mean here Mozilla and Multimedia.

Reference

#15 2012-04-01 14:02:14

Texus
#! CrunchBanger

I hear ya. I installed 32bit BPO on a machine and I just couldn't wrap my head around the workings. I finally just commented out the backport on sources.list, added in the wheezy repos and went with regular apt-pinning. So far so good.

Board footer