SEARCH

Enter your search query in the box above ^, or use the forum search tool.

You are not logged in.

#1 2012-02-02 18:29:39

el_koraco
#!/loony/bun

Recommend a good registrar and hosting service

It's not for me. A friend (openSUSE user, don't hold it against him) wants to host his business website (a pharmacy, nothing too special), perhaps the website of the local public library, plus a personal site or two. He's been looking at GoDaddy's offer and is pleased, but i told him I'd ask around in case the #! people know any tricks. keep in mind that I'm completely clueless as far as everything here goes, so do treat me like a child when you're asking questions.

Be excellent to each other!

#2 2012-02-02 19:42:35

amnixel

Re: Recommend a good registrar and hosting service

GoDaddy is for sure the most advertised, and definitely one of the worst.
I host on NearlyFreeSpeech, it uses a bit of a different payment model which gives you a much better value for your money. They are pretty open about what they do and why they do it, to be honest their FAQ and other pages really convinced me. They've been good to me for about a year and a half now, and I've never experienced notable downtime.

www.nearlyfreespeech.net

It's definitely recommended for someone who knows what they are doing though. But you can't be the price or feature set.

Last edited by amnixel (2012-02-02 19:43:23)

#3 2012-02-02 20:07:19

dkeg
#! Die Hard

I've used 000webhost.  Even using the free service I was quite pleased.  I also use site5 and have been pleased with them as well.  Some considerations I guess would be what is the application written in?  Based on that, host on linux box or windows?  What type of features needed, ie .htaccess control, support for ruby, etc. 

I have also heard lots of good stuff about heroku. 

I'm far from an expert, but thought I'd throw some of my thoughts out there.

grill it | the rocky path may just be the best path

#4 2012-02-02 20:39:39

jelloir
#! CrunchBanger

dkeg wrote:

I've used 000webhost.

Be warned.  These guys delete accounts without warning.

I setup a site for a mate of mine.  It was a static site so I never needed to login to it or manage it for months on end - according to 000webhost if you haven't logged in to your site for a while the site must be unused and they simply delete the account.

Ok, so it was a free service but would it have hurt to send an email to say your account is about to be deleted due to inactivity please login to your account to avoid this...... morons.

#5 2012-02-02 20:47:26

dkeg
#! Die Hard

good point jelloir....and interestingly enough my free account was in fact just deleted due to inactivity.  I had two, one I moved to site5, the other I left there.  I was able to reactivate easily enough, but the content was gone.  Luckily I have a local copy, but nonetheless, definitely something to be aware of.

I agree, an email warning would be nice.

grill it | the rocky path may just be the best path

#6 2012-02-02 20:59:27

corenominal
WRONG
Website

I am not sure what experience your friend has, but Linode provide an excellent VPS service. I have been hosting the #! site with them for a good few years and I have never had any issues.

If your friend is looking for a simpler solution, I have heard that Media Temple are quite good, although I cannot vouch for them myself.

#7 2012-02-02 21:07:46

Jabroneous
#! CrunchBanger

Do you know what he's using to build the site?

I use WordPress a lot for freelance site work, and they recommend a few hosts that make the installation really simple.

List is here: http://wordpress.org/hosting/

#8 2012-02-02 21:15:31

rhowaldt
#!*$%:)

all i know is that GoDaddy is evil. from what i've read, that is. or at least their founder, Bob Parsons, is. here's some of it: http://kottke.org/11/12/the-internets-go-daddy-issues

of course this says nothing about the quality of their webhosting, and are merely moral/ethical issues. however, i'd hesitate to have my site with such people. just saying.

#9 2012-02-02 23:16:06

CBizgreat!
#! Die Hard

Make no promises El ...

Of course agree with Corenominal also heard mucho mas de many good things about Linode. Though person you're talking about sounds like they're looking for shared web hosting.

Not that matters +1 rhowaldt's thoughts too. A good sign of a bad host is the unlimited everything garbage imo. Nothing is unlimited, the limitations are very clearly outlined in legalese in the hosts AUP's. Even a friggin lawyer can't understand that legal jargon nonsense, though of course they have to pretend to. wink Never had much respect for peeps who start out a bizness relationship by treating people like they're stupid and lying through de teeth.

vll ! Viva la gnu/Linux, #! and Corenominal too ! big_smile

PS, n for what it may matter +1 the person who said WP too. Probably the most popular CMS going. Then the junk like Drupal and Joomla is opensource easy 2 hand. I = blow chunks overall when it comes to web devel/design. Trying to remedy that PITA ... sighs.

Last edited by CBizgreat! (2012-02-02 23:24:50)

Some common cbiz abbreviations. This will save me time and yet @ same time tell folks what the babble is supposed to mean.

Vll ! = ( Viva la gnu/Linux !)    Vl#!! = ( Viva la #! !)    Last but not least, UD ... OD ! = ( Use Debian ... or die !) tongue

#10 2012-02-02 23:16:24

el_koraco
#!/loony/bun

Wooot, I even got a reply from our Fearless Leader. The dude wants to put up a simple website for his pharmacy, which dunno, might have something like online booking for medicines at the most. nothing an SQL database and some PhP couldn't handle. He's also looking at making a database for auto-parts, which is the same thing. He would like to stream some video, from a single camera. That's about it. Neither of us know what we're doing, but we both use Linux and there are manpages. Actually, there are manpages for me, I'm sure he can look up something graphical in Control Pa... Yast.

Thanks for the suggestions, keep them rolling!

#11 2012-02-02 23:26:20

Jabroneous
#! CrunchBanger

el_koraco wrote:

The dude wants to put up a simple website for his pharmacy, which dunno, might have something like online booking for medicines at the most. nothing an SQL database and some PhP couldn't handle. He's also looking at making a database for auto-parts, which is the same thing.

I'd still recommend WordPress for looks and ease of use, but I guess I'm biased wink

He would like to stream some video, from a single camera. That's about it.

For streaming, there's always Livestream.

#12 2012-02-02 23:39:59

CBizgreat!
#! Die Hard

Yep ... folks probably knew was going to double back and babble some more ...

Couple popular gotcha's to look out for when comes to shared hosting industry imo. Unlimited everything ( yeah ok ), would check out shared hosts that have been around awhile, offer a reasonable amount of stuff, with reasonable limitations @ reasonable pricing. Am sure all shared hosts oversell their services. They'd be stoopid not to, to some extent. Think the unlimited everything big boys, take overselling to undreamed of levels though. The free domain ( or the even worse ... Free domain for life trick,) sounds too good 2 be true ... etc. Sounds like you're on the right track there though. Looking up any decent ICANN accred domain registrars and making sure your/friends domain is actually their domain.

Can't in good conscious recommend anyone. One persons experience or opinions on summin don't necessarily transfer to the next person blahblah. Though again ... for whatever this babbling is worth agree twice with Corenominal, if your friend is serious about online type stuff. Eventually a managed or self managed VPS could be a good thing for em. Tad bit complicated of a subject I think. Guessing you could all kinda kick a VPS's butt though El. Can tell ya know mucho mas about gnu/nix already anyway.

End babble:

Last edited by CBizgreat! (2012-02-03 23:37:42)

Some common cbiz abbreviations. This will save me time and yet @ same time tell folks what the babble is supposed to mean.

Vll ! = ( Viva la gnu/Linux !)    Vl#!! = ( Viva la #! !)    Last but not least, UD ... OD ! = ( Use Debian ... or die !) tongue

#13 2012-02-03 02:05:55

jelloir
#! CrunchBanger

RE: Godaddy.

Didn't godaddy migrate from Linux to Windows?  googling.... yep they did

http://www.microsoft.com/presspass/pres … ddypr.mspx

I'm sure they run a tight ship - you would have to when running Windows on that scale.  Possibly completely unfounded but I am not sure I would ever feel totally comfortable using godaddy (not that I ever have)...

#14 2012-02-03 02:37:57

ethrg
#! CrunchBanger
Website

I really like NameCheap. It's one of the larger (really benefited from the "drop godaddy day) host/registrars around, can be a bit pricey but really doesn't get the credit they deserve. I've used them for two different little projects of mine and the thing that really makes me love them is the customer service. Any time there's the least little issue (yes I'm one of those guys) they take care of it right away, really do go out of their way to give me what I ask for, and I don't even pay for the expensive package. Plus they're just pretty damn convenient.

Forums are boring, drinking is awesome.

#15 2012-02-03 02:57:12

berkough
#! Member
Website

www.linuxsystems.be

Debian power servers, SSH setup by default... Kind of nice to just login, vi/vim/emacs the file you need to edit and not worry about transferring files. Really helpful support staff, quick responses to any and all questions regarding your hosting experience, and the prices are comparable to most of the hosting services I've researched.

--The Young Master Kane
["In wine there is wisdom, in beer there is freedom, in water there is bacteria."] ~ Ben Franklin

#16 2012-02-04 12:54:47

johnraff
#!Drunkard
Website

One point to think about - name registrars and webhosts are two different services. If you register your domain with the same company you use for webhosting it might be complicated to change companies in the future. If your domain is registered elsewhere it's very simple.

FWIW I've been registering my domains with the evil Godaddy for the last 10 years or so with no problems whatsoever, beyond their sleazy-looking website and sales-mails.

Again, FWIW, for cheap reliable webhosting I've got no complaints with ServerCentre, starting at 20 pounds a year. All the usual stuff. There was a bad patch 5~6 years ago (?) but after that, perfect. Their support back then was very quick too.

John
--------------------
( a boring Japan blog , idle twitterings  and GitStuff )
#! forum moderator

#17 2012-02-06 06:13:03

CBizgreat!
#! Die Hard

Thanks Johnraff ... Making a note meself ... 40 pounds a yr !?!??! Arghhhhh ! Guessing we have widely diff things in mind in terms of hosting though. Still dirt cheap shared hosting .. Yowza ! smile

O course John's righto imo about the domain registrar thingy too. Am sure Godaddy would be alrighty for it. They are an ICANN accred domain registrar afterall. Guess mainly comes down to which will give you the best price ... blahblahblah. Godaddy shared web hosting ... Honestly dunno, never tried them. But since they are one of the unlimited everything, monstrously overselling shared hosting folks. I personally wouldn't touch Godaddy with a 100' pole. Unless it were a site about my pet hamster or summin. Bizness and craptastic shared hosting DOES NOT mixeth imo ... shrugs.

vll ! wink

Last edited by CBizgreat! (2012-02-06 06:14:36)

#18 2012-10-16 15:21:25

skibum

Please forgive the lateness, it's only a bit of a necropost.  I've been through a lot of hosts & registrars, including GoDaddy.  The price is OK but their Control Panel is an awful, unintuitive, mind eating monster. 1and1 advertises a lot but they also had some unliveable issues.

My stuff is at Dreamhost at the moment, and I'm very happy.  Combo registrar and host, liberal to non-existent quotas, intuitive controls, fast servers, and the price is right.

#19 2012-10-16 15:22:03

skibum

Insert evil doubleclick post here

Last edited by skibum (2012-10-16 15:24:13)

#20 2012-10-19 03:42:10

antiv0rtex
#! Die Hard

corenominal wrote:

I am not sure what experience your friend has, but Linode provide an excellent VPS service. I have been hosting the #! site with them for a good few years and I have never had any issues.

If your friend is looking for a simpler solution, I have heard that Media Temple are quite good, although I cannot vouch for them myself.

This. I, too, have heard many good things about both Linode and MediaTemple.

With regards to domain name registrars, I have several domains registered with Domain.com; I have never had any issues with them.

#21 2012-10-19 16:48:49

brontosaurusrex
#! Red Menace

The problem with shared hosting is that
- at the end you would always want something more (for example i want automagic thumbnail creation for my videos) than it is offered.
- they usually force you to use some silly panel for setting/installing things
- feeling bad, since somebody allready set the server, apache, php, mysql, ftp, ssh ..., for you
- you have to upload things to that remote site
- they may have some silly file problems (like for example: all mp3s are evil)

goods: usually very good uptimes

on the other hand, standalone server (in lan) can be used for a lot of different things (other than web);
- file server
- video transcoder
- downloader
- feeling like a king with my own chair
- can install and test every single cms out there
- uploading very large files for web sharing very quickly
- that neat feeling that noisy machine down in celar is acting so globaly.
- you make up your own rules

bads: usually not such good uptimes

p.s. for hosting domains and free subdomains iam using afraid.org (for years now).

Last edited by brontosaurusrex (2012-10-19 17:01:50)

#22 2012-10-23 21:30:31

antiv0rtex
#! Die Hard

jelloir wrote:
dkeg wrote:

I've used 000webhost.

Be warned.  These guys delete accounts without warning.

My two cents: avoid 000webhost like the plague. They are horrible in every way.

If you are still searching for a free provider, you might want to post a request here detailing your specifications for space, bandwidth, etc. and/or look through their advertisement subforums. This list is also worth some time.

I used many free hosts between 2007 (during my first steps into the world of building websites) and 2011 (when I got my first paid shared hosting account). During this time, I gained a lot of knowledge about various aspects of free web hosting. If you have any further questions, feel free to ask them here or via private message - I may be able to help.

Good luck!

/L

#23 2012-10-29 12:09:35

JonGibbins
Website

(Whoops, double-click post!)

Last edited by JonGibbins (2012-10-29 12:10:12)

I left my mind back in 1989 - http://www.jongibbins.com - http://www.modula.org.uk

#24 2012-10-29 12:09:42

JonGibbins
Website

For a good webhost service with no annoying technobabble or hype to try rope people in, I recommend DreamHost. I've been a service member since about 1997 and started putting my hosting up with them since about 2005(ish?). I'm in the UK but even so, the fact that it's based in the USA/Canada (I don't remember which!) is no issue for me.

It's a very what-you-see-is-what-you-get service in plain English. Carbon Neutral, very fast customer support by email (who can even speak to non-techies if needed) and probably even a USA phone number too? Not sure about that one ... best check that.
I'm still yet to find something I didn't like about them to be honest.

Best sign up with them when they have deals on to get the first year cheap as chips. (IE: Christmas offer, Easter offer, 'Someone's-just-won-the-Basketball' offer ... it's pretty regular when they decide to have an offer on.)

www.dreamhost.com - Can't praise them enough. And no, I'm not on commission!
(but if they ask for a reference, I'm jon gibbins at g mail dot com) wink

I left my mind back in 1989 - http://www.jongibbins.com - http://www.modula.org.uk

Help fund CrunchBang, donate to the project!

#25 2012-10-29 17:08:28

lcafiero
The #! Guy
Website

I don't know if this is still an issue for el_koraco's friend -- I would gather not -- but besides Linode getting the corenominal seal of approval, I've always had good dealings with gandi.net. I've gone through them to register domain names in the past and for the last year or so my wife has hosted the web site for her physical therapy business on gandi.net

There's nothing terribly special about it -- it just works and the gandi.net folks are pretty helpful. Prices are reasonable, too.

Just throwing in two cents.

Res publica non dominetur | Larry the CrunchBang Guy speaks of the pompetous of CrunchBang

CrunchBang Forum moderator

Board footer