SEARCH

Enter your search query in the box above ^, or use the forum search tool.

You are not logged in.

#1 2012-01-19 11:33:12

CBizgreat!
#! Die Hard

Opendns vs google public dns vs ISP's ?

Finally got around to messing with dns settings in #!. Was hoping to hear what folks here in the #! community have to say about the subject. Experiences good or bad ... any outages, so forth ? Atm opting for google's dns. My findings so far from messing around w it.

ISP's was ok ... Not like it was slow. Just wanted to see if I could eek a bit more out of one of the alternatives.

Opendns ... Think was a bit peppier than the ISP's. But it hijacked my mozilla address bar, no more easy searches via address bar = annoying redirect to opendns results instead. Tried this, that, a few other things and no joy. Soon got annoyed and went with something else.

Google public dns ... Unless it's my imagination, does seem a small boost. Nothing dazzling but something anyway.

Was going to go ahead and share a babbling sorta how to on the topic. But wanted to see what people w more experience with these services think or have to say about it. What are you using folks and how's it been working out for you ? 

Thanks in advance for replies and input.

afterthought: Yep ... yet more babbling. If anyone is going to run off 1/2 cocked w this. Hope you will make/keep copies of the working config files. Seems it's always a good idea to be able to undo something if somebody doesn't like the results. Obligatory word of caution etc ...

VLL ! big_smile

Last edited by CBizgreat! (2012-01-19 11:53:43)

Some common cbiz abbreviations. This will save me time and yet @ same time tell folks what the babble is supposed to mean.

Vll ! = ( Viva la gnu/Linux !)    Vl#!! = ( Viva la #! !)    Last but not least, UD ... OD ! = ( Use Debian ... or die !) tongue

Help fund CrunchBang, donate to the project!

#2 2012-01-19 11:43:21

gurtid
#! Junkie

Re: Opendns vs google public dns vs ISP's ?

i don't have any knowledge on this but your post reminded me of this which may interest you perhaps.

http://debianandi.blogspot.com/2011/03/ … -name.html

all your Base are belong to us

#3 2012-01-19 11:53:49

el_koraco
#!/loony/bun

I use Google's DNS on all the machines I run or maintain. I've simply never had any problems with it, which i can't say for all the ISP servers I used.

#4 2012-01-19 11:55:37

CBizgreat!
#! Die Hard

Thanks El,

Coming from you, I'll take that as a big vote of confidence. Always good to hear what more experienced gnu/nixers have to say about something.

(Yep edit) For me couldn't tell much diff in terms of speed between google's and opendns's. Both seem faster and more reliable than the default one from the ISP. At least google didn't try to hijack anything, well at least that I know of anyway. wink

tc El and folks, w let this run awhile and might be back later with the babbling how to. Didn't seem to be a straightforward/recent one on the forums.

Last edited by CBizgreat! (2012-01-19 12:05:49)

Some common cbiz abbreviations. This will save me time and yet @ same time tell folks what the babble is supposed to mean.

Vll ! = ( Viva la gnu/Linux !)    Vl#!! = ( Viva la #! !)    Last but not least, UD ... OD ! = ( Use Debian ... or die !) tongue

#5 2012-01-19 12:04:56

fortyseven
#! Die Hard

I've had bad experiences with ISP's DNS and since moving to OpenDNS, I've not had a single moments hassle. I've never tried Google but from what I hear, it's pretty good too.

on the outside looking in

#6 2012-01-19 14:02:12

mynis01
#! Die Hard

OpenDNS works the best for me out of the three. My ISP is abysmal though. Sometimes I've thought of getting an ISDN connection just so I don't lose connectivity all the time.

#7 2012-01-19 14:51:19

CBizgreat!
#! Die Hard

Thanks mynis01,

It seemed fine to me. I just didn't like it. Seemed to offer more than I wanted anyway. But am all for people trying them all and seeing what they like the best. Definitely thought it was worth sharing.
Since I brought it up felt obligated to do a babbling how to on it. Lol .... one of my painfully detailed by gnu/nix newb 4 gnu/nix newbs postings.

Link to ... better dns servers how to. Would appreciate some people looking it over to make sure I didn't miss something in it.

Viva la gnu/Linux ! n happy computing folks !

big_smile

Last edited by CBizgreat! (2012-01-19 14:53:01)

#8 2012-01-19 16:03:01

johnraff
#!Drunkard
Website

There's an open source app called namebench:
http://code.google.com/p/namebench/
It checks out all the dns servers available in your neighbourhood, compares them and gives you a list of recommended ones.

I tried it and the dns servers it suggested seem to have given me a fair speed boost compared with my ISP.

John
--------------------
( a boring Japan blog , idle twitterings  and GitStuff )
#! forum moderator

#9 2012-01-19 16:09:46

CBizgreat!
#! Die Hard

WOWZA, thanks for the share johnraff,

Am definitely bookmarking that puppy. Though am about burnt out on messing with PC's atm. Will no doubt end up playing with that suggestion. Google pub dns is doing me fairly well. In fact going to have to email and plead with Corenominal to bog this website down. The #! forum is already fast anyway, kinda feel a lil whoozy when I visit now. wink

Thanks again John ...

#10 2012-01-19 17:40:31

el_koraco
#!/loony/bun

Hah, it's been a while since I ran namebench. It says the best primary DNS for me is 8.8.8.8, and the best secondary is my ISP. It's weird having a good ISP, since my previous one (the state monopolist) was horrible.

#11 2012-01-19 18:26:02

punk_physicist
#! CrunchBanger

I was about to mention Namebench as well unti I saw johnraff had mentioned it is a very nice program.  My fastest (by a lot AFAIR) listed by Namebench was the Google public dns and I've been using it since.

#12 2012-01-20 20:49:24

CBizgreat!
#! Die Hard

Ran that prog Johnraff was nice enough to share. Got the exact same results as El_koraco.

Goog public dns came in 1st, opendns's 2nd nameserver #2.

Maybe someone else will get diff results though. So mini how to on running that sucker.

I downloaded the namebench prog, created a folder in my /home directory called  miscprog, then cut/pasted the namebench download there, extracted the sucker there, then deleted the download. Went into the namebench folder and clicked on namebench.py to run it.

Posting cuz this is kinda interesting + BUMP. Back up into da top ya go thread. So more folks get the benefit of this junk. Who doesn't want a faster browser afterall ? And we all spent more than a lil time typing out this stuff so back ya go thread, back ya go. big_smile

Last edited by CBizgreat! (2012-01-20 20:52:22)

#13 2012-01-21 02:52:38

mynis01
#! Die Hard

Here's my namebench results if anyone wants to check them out. My ISP is time-warner/roadrunner, and as you can see from the results, they actually deliberately redirect me to the wrong websites. A couple weeks ago, a new ISP became available in my area and I'll be switching to DSL sometime next week. YAY!!!

#14 2012-01-21 08:58:06

Tunafish
#! Die Hard

I'm using opendns for over a year now.

You can set the firefox-search-from-awesome-bar by changing the value for keyword.url in about:config.

for google use
http://www.google.com/search?ie=UTF-8&o … t&gfns=1&q

for duckduckgo use:
https://duckduckgo.com/?q=

sed 's/stress/relaxation/g'
Privacy & Security on #!

#15 2012-01-22 21:19:01

CBizgreat!
#! Die Hard

One more ... over limit as usual lately, gawds !

But why not babble some more ... Plus gives a reason to BUMP, BUMP, BUMP, lol.

Thanks Tunafish, tried summin similar to that ... didn't work. That looks like it would, the ns=1&g part, looks like something I was missing. Could've gotten around it a bunch of ways. IF I'd wanted to change the way I use mozilla's stuff. I won't and don't think I should have to, to use a service. Supposed to also be able to disable it in the admin dashboard opendns has. Though wondering if you'd then have to stay signed into or what ? Something else I don't like the idea of personally. In my case google public dns servers are faster than the ones from opendns anyway. Am sure that won't be 100% the same for everyone though. We/they have the option of trying them all, running the namebench prog Johnraff included here ... etc.

All for people using/seeing what works best for them. So am not condemning opendns, beyond the obvious ... Which is I got bad vibe off them. Nor championing goog pub service. Google Inc could dry up and blow away for all I care about them. I'd miss some of their free services, wouldn't miss them at all, lol.

Anyway, just more babbling opinions on this stuff. Mainly just wanted to share summin I tried and got good results with for the sake of other #!ers enjoyment. And of course thanks to all the other gnu/nixers who shared  or added stuff to the thread too.

Happy computing. wink

Last edited by CBizgreat! (2012-01-22 22:17:26)

#16 2012-01-22 21:47:45

kowloonboy
#! Junkie

I tried OpenDNS, but I am back to Google DNS. Because OpenDNS also filter some forum, which they think it is hacking related.

"To me, the extraordinary aspect of martial arts lies in its simplicity. The easy way is also the right way, and martial arts is nothing at all special; the closer to the true way of martial arts, the less wastage of expression there is." - Bruce Lee

Board footer