SEARCH

Enter your search query in the box above ^, or use the forum search tool.

You are not logged in.

#1 2011-09-15 15:11:33

_user123
#! CrunchBanger

Cannot install printer [SOLVED]

Following a fresh install of Crunchbang XFCE, followed by running 'cb-welcome' and installing printing support, necessary drivers, etc., it is proving impossible to add a printer.

When asked for root password and entering it, all is returned is a dialogue stating that the password may be wrong.

In this case, no printer=useless system.

Last edited by _user123 (2011-10-21 14:03:18)

Be excellent to each other!

#2 2011-09-15 16:08:22

pvsage
Internal Affairs

Re: Cannot install printer [SOLVED]

Um...why are you being asked for a root password? hmm  If you're using sudo, gksudo, or gksu, you should be asked for your sudoer (user) password.  There are a few cases where being root is necessary; installing printer support shouldn't be one of them, and even if it is, you should be able to get by with `sudo su` and your sudoer password.

I'm a moderator here.  How are we doing?  Feedback is encouraged.

#3 2011-09-15 16:10:56

rhowaldt
#!*$%:)

what app do you use to set up your printer? CUPS through the browser has been nothing but trouble for me, couldn't log in at all so guessing you're running into the same thing. have you tried system-config-printer ?

#4 2011-09-15 16:46:49

johnraff
#!Drunkard
Website

rhowaldt wrote:

have you tried system-config-printer ?

That's always done a good job for me too.

John
--------------------
( a boring Japan blog , idle twitterings  and GitStuff )
#! forum moderator

#5 2011-09-15 16:56:01

crunchgargoyle
#! Member

I had some problems getting a networked printer to recognise me earlier. In the end it seemed like there was a problem with my CUPS configuration so I purged it and reinstalled it etc.

I believe CUPS will be the reason you're getting prompted for a root password; it could simply be that you haven't set one up. Try entering:

sudo passwd root

in a terminal, and setting a password for root after entering your user password at the prompt. Then see if the root password you're being prompted for when setting up the printer works.

Last edited by crunchgargoyle (2011-09-15 16:57:23)

I am error

#6 2011-09-15 20:55:32

cothrige

Perhaps you are using the CUPS web browser interface? If so I believe one can make the password prompt work by adding your account to the lpadmin group in /etc/group.

#7 2011-09-15 21:16:36

crunchgargoyle
#! Member

Yes, cothrige is absolutely right: I had to do that earlier. I knew there was something important I'd forgotten.

I am error

#8 2011-09-16 05:48:50

_user123
#! CrunchBanger

It's through either/both 'system-config-printer' or the 'menu>system>printing>...' that this problem arises, and it's one which I've never encountered before.

I've always thought it a stupid and unnecessary feature of many Linuces to have to use administrator priviledges/passwords to install a printer on a home computer. After all, I don't need them to mount/read an external hard-drive. pendrive, camera or music player.

A purge or reinstall is simple enough, this is Debian after all. Something's up with this install, because it's not recognising another OS I have installed, and my bookmarks have been deleted ... hmmm ... I may just have to let my Lucid Puppy tear it to pieces first#!

#9 2011-09-16 09:39:09

crunchgargoyle
#! Member

You could try purging ufw, too. Some people seem to have suggested that as a solution. When you try

sudo apt-get install --reinstall cups

are you getting something about configuration failing?

I am error

#10 2011-09-16 15:32:29

_user123
#! CrunchBanger

I'm not getting anything about config failure.

Reinstalling cups made no difference.

The problem seems to be with repo server failure when running 'cb-welcome', because other apps are incompletely installed and/or failing.

I've never had this problem before with CrunchBang, so a fresh install is easy enough.

I've already rescued/removed anything useful with Lucid Puppy - now that's a powerful little forensic distro.

#11 2011-09-16 16:01:09

crunchgargoyle
#! Member

That probably won't be necessary, and may not fix the problem.

If you're not getting configuration issues when you do a reinstall of CUPS it isn't the same problem I was having. What's the make and model of the printer, and are you trying to access it wirelessly or not? If so, try accessing the CUPS browser interface to see if you can find your printer through that, if you haven't already.

I am error

#12 2011-09-19 21:10:40

_user123
#! CrunchBanger

I've done a reinstallation of CB-XFCE, & will run 'cbb-welcome'. I had no problem before: as I said. it seems to be a repo connection problem - my network provider did some major upgrading of their system recently, so I reckon it has something to do with erratic network behaviour, rather than Statler being obstreperous.

I'll report back, once I've updated, etc., & I'm fairly sure that things will run smoothly.

Oh yeah, it's a Lexmark Z600 series, and I have the .deb CUPS drivers, etc., which almost always work in Debian-based/derived systems. The funny thing is that the drivers were Alien-converted from .RPMs, but I couldn't get those to work in either Fedora or PC-LOS.
_

I now have a multiple-installation: FreeDOS (just because), CB-XFCE, Absolute-Linux/Slackware (steep learning-curve, but I like it already, & it is kind-of 'original-Linux'), & Kwort-Linux/Crux (maybe even steeper, but I like the idea of a tar.gz/source-based system).

It's great what can be done with only 20GiB of disc space.

Last edited by _user123 (2011-09-19 21:16:12)

#13 2011-09-27 21:15:06

cothrige

atheologian wrote:

. . . Oh yeah, it's a Lexmark Z600 series, and I have the .deb CUPS drivers, etc., which almost always work in Debian-based/derived systems. The funny thing is that the drivers were Alien-converted from .RPMs, but I couldn't get those to work in either Fedora or PC-LOS.

Just thought I would pass something along, in case you run into it. We have a Lexmark x4650 Network Printer/Scanner which only has a 32 bit driver, and I have a 64 bit system. In Ubuntu I could simply install ia32-libs and then download and install the Lexmark driver from online and all would go right as it should. However, in #! and straight Debian this fails every time for me. The reason, I eventually managed to work out, is that the Debian ia32-libs do not contain libcupsimage.so.2, which is in the Ubuntu package, and the lexmark printdriver app fails because of this. As a workaround I downloaded the 32 bit libcupsimage package from the repository, unpacked it, and then copied the file over to /usr/lib32/ manually. After this all worked fine. I don't know if you have a 64 bit system, or if your driver is only in 32 bits, but after struggling with this problem I thought I would mention this in case you run into something similar.

Last edited by cothrige (2012-02-13 00:10:16)

#14 2011-09-28 00:36:34

ghicksrn

I ran into the same problem with my printer installation. I was trying to install my HP printer on my home network. I installed the hplip toolbox and GUI from synaptics. When I tried to run it, I got to the very end and it failed. Installing through the built-in printer configuration tool didn't work either.
So, I tried to log into CUPS with the same problem you guys are having. I then opened a terminal and typed

sudo passwd

I entered my password the same as any log in to my user account, when prompted. Then I got a prompt for a new root password. I entered a password for root that I could remember. I entered the same password when prompted to confirm. Then I closed the terminal and logged into CUPS using the username "root" and using the new password I had just set. I installed my printer using the same URI that the hplip setup was trying to use. Now hplip toolbox can find my printer and all works well. My printer shows in CUPS as well.
When I took my computer to work, I installed the Brother printer drivers from the Brother Linux Drivers website according to the directions on the website for a 64bit Debian distro. It failed on the first attempt to print, even though it was showing a successful installation. Looking in the FAQ section of Brother's website gave me the answer (I don't remember the step I needed to take). Granted, the Brrother printer is a little slow, so I must not have something set right for the spool. I haven't had time to tweak that yet, but it still prints.
Hope that helps,
Greg

#15 2011-10-11 09:39:07

_user123
#! CrunchBanger

[SOLVED]

Problem solved:

Installed a few gutenprint utils - it seems that these are necessary for cups to communicate with some printers, but are not included in the printing-support script.

TOP TIP

To configure the printer, launch Run Dialogue (Alt+F2), enter 'gksudo system-config-printer', enter password - this will allow installation of a printer.

(Just running 'system-config-printer' from 'Run' is what led to the denial-of-access problem).

Yet another Linux black-box problem solved by 50% guesswork/50% deduction#!

#16 2011-10-11 09:52:48

rhowaldt

^ you actually use that 'Run' thingy? isn't that what the terminal is for?

no matter, the important thing is that you fixed your problem! congratulations :)

#17 2011-10-11 10:24:55

_user123
#! CrunchBanger

rhowaldt wrote:

^ you actually use that 'Run' thingy? isn't that what the terminal is for?

Run is very useful for launching applications, especially when they don't shown up in the menu after they've been installed (I've found this to be quite normal in XFCE  & LXDE & FluxBox - GNOME is much better at updating menus).

I've also found Run to be invaluable for use with OpenBox (which I use now - I've ditched XFCE) when (re)writing the main gui menu, to check whether an application will run without gksudo priviledges or not.

Of course, the same things can be done using terminal, but closing the terminal after launching an application will usually close the application, whereas Run exits as soon as the application is launched (or not, as sometimes happens, in which case I'll use terminal to find out more about the application: e.g. '[application] --help', or, 'man [application]').

#18 2011-10-11 11:20:49

rhowaldt

atheologian wrote:

Of course, the same things can be done using terminal, but closing the terminal after launching an application will usually close the application, whereas Run exits as soon as the application is launched (or not, as sometimes happens, in which case I'll use terminal to find out more about the application: e.g. '[application] --help', or, 'man [application]').

closing the terminal only closes the running app when you are running it in the foreground, afaik. but i might be mistaken there. anyway, i never close my terminal. i think in the end this really comes down to the way you use your OS. multiple ways of achieving the same thing, which is a good thing.

#19 2011-10-11 14:10:14

pvsage
Internal Affairs

@atheologian:  dmenu (alt-F3 in CrunchBang) FTW

I'm a moderator here.  How are we doing?  Feedback is encouraged.

#20 2011-10-11 18:14:42

_user123
#! CrunchBanger

pvsage wrote:

@atheologian:  dmenu (alt-F3 in CrunchBang) FTW

Yeah, I'll have to start using that more often.

#21 2011-10-12 04:58:42

johnraff
#!Drunkard
Website

@atheologian Just for the record, what were the extra gutenprint packages you installed?

(That gksu thing for system-config-printer hit me the other day too. Ubuntu didn't require root status to set up printers.)

John
--------------------
( a boring Japan blog , idle twitterings  and GitStuff )
#! forum moderator

#22 2011-10-13 06:02:29

_user123
#! CrunchBanger

johnraff wrote:

@atheologian Just for the record, what were the extra gutenprint packages you installed?

(That gksu thing for system-config-printer hit me the other day too. Ubuntu didn't require root status to set up printers.)

I hazarded to guess and installed the gutenprint packages that don't have gimp in their name!:D

#23 2012-02-12 17:41:35

nmbutt

I am having similar problem with installing a lexmark z605 printer. #! recognizes the printer but when I print a test page, it ends in an error and nothing comes out. ATHEOLOGIAN below solved the problem but solution does not work for me. I get printer config setting dialog but don't know what to do when I get there. Also, how do I install Gutenprint utilities? It is not in the package manager options. Help!!!

#24 2012-04-08 16:56:28

_user123
#! CrunchBanger

nmbutt wrote:

I am having similar problem with installing a lexmark z605 printer. #! recognizes the printer but when I print a test page, it ends in an error and nothing comes out. ATHEOLOGIAN below solved the problem but solution does not work for me. I get printer config setting dialog but don't know what to do when I get there. Also, how do I install Gutenprint utilities? It is not in the package manager options. Help!!!

Hi nmbutt, & welcome.

I just saw your post after running into the same old problem following a fresh install.

I presume you have installed 'printer-support' and are using the Lexmark 'z600cups/z600llpddk.deb' driver packages:

[They work on:

LEXMARK:
X1100/1110/1130/1140/1150/1180/1185/1250,
Z25/33/35/55/65/513/515/600/605/615/645/705/715.
P3150

DELL:
A920].

Do you have 'libstdc++5' installed? - this is essential for the drivers to work.

If this does not work, try installing 'cups-driver-gutenprint', which will also bring in 'ghostscript-cups' and 'libgutenprint2' as dependencies.

These 4 are all available in Synaptic Package Manager, or if you don't mind using Terminal:

sudo apt-get install libstdc++5

And if need be:

sudo apt-get install cups-driver-gutenprint

which turned out to be the final key to the print spooling problem.

Board footer