SEARCH

Enter your search query in the box above ^, or use the forum search tool.

You are not logged in.

#1 2011-08-10 21:36:30

Sector11
77345 ¡#
Website

Conky Threads

Interesting ... over on the My Conky Config thread we had a little pat of the back chat about hitting 100 pages (now 103), but in fact, if one adds the 74 pages in the Conky Help thread #! Forums have 177 pages of "Conky".  And that not counting any loose threads.

Sometimes things get mixed up and conkys are displayed in "Conky Help" and help is requested in "My Conky Config"

So I'm thinking, maybe the two could be merged?

But it should be discussed with pros and cons first I guess.

I'm for merging them since the idea of "help" and "show" get mixed up anyway.
Next...

#! Conky = 13 Threads & the Conky Archives | Conky PitStop | OHCG'er
#! Forum Moderator   |   StartPage -  protect your privacy   |   BBQ Linux

Be excellent to each other!

#2 2011-08-10 22:13:10

mrpeachy
20% cooler

Re: Conky Threads

i agree that there is a lot of mixing up

the parallel to draw is with the ubuntu conky thread which is help and show mixed together
it used to move a lot faster than it does nowadays and it was easy for things to get lost which is a problem... but with the 2 threads here i think things get as easily lost anyway

i would say it might be a good idea to tighten up on what is posted on the My Conky Config thread, so that it is ONLY a show your screenshot and code thread, everything else to be directed to the conky help thread ... which might need to be renamed i suppose

i find it annoying when there are new posts on the conky config thread and i go there and there are no new conky configs to see, just conky chat... or not even that sometimes

so either merge them or be more strict with the content of each

#3 2011-08-10 22:54:22

VastOne
#! Ranger
Website

It should be easy enough to merge the two..

I am all for whatever makes it easier for the mods and for those seeking solutions..

Having the two mega threads in one place would be easier to seek and solve...

VSIDO | SolusOS

Words That Build Or Destroy

#4 2011-08-11 00:10:00

jeffreyC
#! Die Hard

But also that much more to sift through to find what you are looking for.

#5 2011-08-11 08:33:29

mynis01
#! Die Hard

Is there a way to search a specific thread for certain terms? I find it kind of cumbersome to just sit there browsing through one hundred page threads just to see if something has all ready been asked and/or answered. Only being able to search every 30 seconds also makes it pretty irritating to search for something that could be described using a large variety of words.

#6 2011-08-11 10:11:10

machinebacon
#! unstable
Website

^Agree with mynis01, though I think it is no problem to ask even if it was answered before. It might be a good idea to make a FAQ or something with the most common problems or questions.

And actually "My Conky Config" would better fit in Screenshots/Artwork, but that's just MHO.

#7 2011-08-11 15:16:46

anonymous
The Mystery Member

IMO, merging them would just make it more confusing. Also omns mentioned to me that the threads are actually very long and he was wondering about starting new ones.

Maybe keep the help thread as-is but have monthly threads for Conky configs?

#8 2011-08-11 16:58:01

VastOne
#! Ranger
Website

I think monthly conky threads would be ideal...

VSIDO | SolusOS

#9 2011-08-11 17:53:41

wlourf
#! CrunchBanger
Website

IMHO, just one thread for help and "showroom" would be nice, and when the topic becomes too big, the admins open a new one. It's what is done on ubuntu-fr, the thread is cut every 100 pages. Just my two cents smile

#10 2011-08-11 18:01:01

Sector11
77345 ¡#
Website

I realize there are pros and cons to one thread.

It's confusing now with two threads and making it even worse there are;

1. help questions in the "My Conky Config" thread, and
2. here's my conky type posts in the "Conky Help" thread.

So another thought, along omns idea... "yearly threads" for both of them.

Think about it, conkys change, new commands etc. etc.

My Conky Config - 2012
Conky Help - 2012

Now if a "How do I do X?" shows up in My Conky Config 2012 it should be moved to Conky Help - 2012 and if the answer is known to be in the "Conky Help - 2011" a link would suffice or get things started towards answering the question.

Same with "Here's my conky" post showing up in Conky Help -2012

I'd also like to see a copy of these:

http://conky.sourceforge.net/docs.html
http://conky.sourceforge.net/config_settings.html
http://conky.sourceforge.net/variables.html

... here at #!.  Since we are a "Stable" release for a while, and wont get new versions of conky those pages get updated and there will be new commands added and old defunct commands lost - but we'd still be using the same conky with the same commands.

An example: http://conky.sourceforge.net/config_settings.html (the current page)

default_shade_color     Default shading color and border's shading color
disable_auto_reload     Enable to disable the inotify-based auto config reload feature.
diskio_avg_samples     The number of samples to average for disk I/O monitoring.

and from the config_settings.html - I saved on 16 Dec 2009:

default_shade_color     Default shading color and border's shading color
diskio_avg_samples     The number of samples to average for disk I/O monitoring.

as you see disable_auto_reload didn't exist.  I believe that page was for conky v 1.7.2 but it may be for 1.8.0.

I know the pages that exist today are for conky v1.8.1.

I'd be willing to try and contact Brenden Matthews and see if he has any objection and maybe see if he has a copy of those pages backed up somewhere for conky v1.8.0 that Statler is using.

Nutshell:

1. Keep things as they are until 2 Jan 2012 then create two mew threads for the year.  (so no one is pressured on 1 Jan)
2. contact B. Matthews and see if he minds what was mentioned above.
3. sort through existing threads and move posts that need to be moved - no matter how old.
  - at some point in the near future a wiki (for each thread maybe) to point to Specific Help topics and Users conkys.

ie:
Conky Help wiki
- wirleless posts: 23, 45, 98 210 (linked of course

My Conky wiki
omns: 1, 5, 8, 12, 15, etc - he's crazy for conky.
sector11: 263 (he never changes his)  lol

Toss my name in the pot to do whatever I can.

I just edited these:
http://crunchbanglinux.org/wiki/conky
http://crunchbanglinux.org/wiki/esp/conky

to read Conky PitStop vs Conky Hardcore that is defunct!

EDIT:  I see more ideas came as I created this ... I type soooooooooooooo slow!

Last edited by Sector11 (2011-08-11 18:07:48)

#11 2011-08-11 18:13:13

anonymous
The Mystery Member

Sector11 wrote:

So another thought, along omns idea... "yearly threads" for both of them.

Sounds fine to me smile

Sector11 wrote:

Now if a "How do I do X?" shows up in My Conky Config 2012 it should be moved to Conky Help - 2012 and if the answer is known to be in the "Conky Help - 2011" a link would suffice or get things started towards answering the question.

Same with "Here's my conky" post showing up in Conky Help -2012

I'd take care of that myself except I don't post in the Conky threads much. Having an active mod/conky user to do would be welcome though.

Sector11 wrote:

I'd also like to see a copy of these:

http://conky.sourceforge.net/docs.html
http://conky.sourceforge.net/config_settings.html
http://conky.sourceforge.net/variables.html

... here at #!.  Since we are a "Stable" release for a while, and wont get new versions of conky those pages get updated and there will be new commands added and old defunct commands lost - but we'd still be using the same conky with the same commands.

I don't think conky changes so much to warrant copying those pages.

Sector11 wrote:

Nutshell:

1. Keep things as they are until 2 Jan 2012 then creat two mew threads for the year.  (so no one is pressured on 1 Jan)

+1

Sector11 wrote:

3. sort through existing threads and move posts that need to be moved - no matter how old.

Move where and why? Once we create the 2012 threads, I say just close the old threads and leave it at that.

Sector11 wrote:

- at some point in the near future a wiki (for each thread maybe) to point to Specific Help topics and Users conkys.

Do you want to be in charge of this?

If people want a "gallery" of conkies, I think conky pitstop or dotshare.it would be better options. And I think specific Conky how-tos (like weather) should be made into individual threads or wiki pages.

#12 2011-08-11 18:14:52

VastOne
#! Ranger
Website

That all seems like a tremendous amount of work and maintenance that would IMO, seem to turn #! into another conky wiki site, which you have said is already available..

VSIDO | SolusOS

#13 2011-08-11 18:16:51

VastOne
#! Ranger
Website

wlourf wrote:

IMHO, just one thread for help and "showroom" would be nice, and when the topic becomes too big, the admins open a new one. It's what is done on ubuntu-fr, the thread is cut every 100 pages. Just my two cents smile

Good way of doing it... How is the cut done?

VSIDO | SolusOS

#14 2011-08-11 19:44:59

Sector11
77345 ¡#
Website

VastOne wrote:

That all seems like a tremendous amount of work and maintenance that would IMO, seem to turn #! into another conky wiki site, which you have said is already available..

You're right, so maybe just adding to that wiki.

Someone mentioned a way to search easily the conky wiki here is a way:

Adding like I said (posts here at #! only):

Help:
a. Wireless solutions: 1, 2, 3, 4, (where the number like to various solutions - not using post numbers - just chronological order.)
b. Weather - 1, 2, 3,
c. LUA Background - 1, 2, 3, 4, 5

Conkys:
member1: 1,2,3,4,5 etc
member2: 1,2,3,4,5 etc

It would be time consuming but members could be encouraged to add their own, any #!'er can edit the wiki pages if they wanted, other than that it's continue as normal.

wlourf's idea of 100 pages of a single thread, creating a new thread around 100 posts would work well too.
Today there are 177 pages in the two threads ...

My Conky Config; started 28-11-2008 - 103 pages
Conky Help; started 02-04-2009 - 74 pages.

So just over 2 and a half years 177 pages, we'd be 23 pages shy of starting the third thread.
Almost matches - 300 posts - 3 years

Since the idea is to trim the size down to either 100 posts or a yearly thing, it's really six to one, half a dozen to another.

I like the yearly thing as it gives a date thing.  Just an opinion and the naming is easy for just one thread:

Conky - 2012

There are conky galleries all over the place -
Deviantart, Conky PitStop, various blogs and other sites so I'm not thinking another gallery strictly for #! but just a List, in the wiki maybe like I said:

My Conky List
omns: 1, 5, 8, 12, 15, etc
sector11: 263

Members could be encouraged to add their own, any #!'er can edit the wiki pages.

Instead of having:

Example Conky Set-ups

There is a thread on the CrunchBang Forums with many different examples of conky config files. The thread is located at:

*  My Conky Config
    *  Examples from official Wiki

it might look like:

Example Conky Set-ups

There is a thread on the CrunchBang Forums with many different examples of conky config files. The thread is located at:

*  My Conky Config <--- still linked to the thread
        - Users list (Pleast limit list to the last X number of entries) {ie: 10}
          - omns: 1, 2, 3
          - Hanna: 1, 2, 3, 4, 5
          - sector11: 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6

*  Examples from official Wiki

Remember - at the moment it's just brainstorming.

#15 2011-08-11 19:49:05

mynis01
#! Die Hard

I like that idea, just using the wiki to create an index of the things discussed in the two conky threads.

#16 2011-08-11 20:23:08

Sector11
77345 ¡#
Website

anonymous wrote:
Sector11 wrote:

Nutshell:

1. Keep things as they are until 2 Jan 2012 then create two new threads for the year.  (so no one is pressured on 1 Jan)

+1

Sector11 wrote:

Move where and why? Once we create the 2012 threads, I say just close the old threads and leave it at that.

Sector11 wrote:

Do you want to be in charge of this?

If people want a "gallery" of conkies, I think conky pitstop or dotshare.it would be better options. And I think specific Conky how-tos (like weather) should be made into individual threads or wiki pages.

As I said: Conky 2012, Conky 2013 or Conky 1-100, Conky 101-200 etc. etc.,  both work for me.

I'd rather not see a specific #! Gallery with Conky PitStop as it should be as "distro" generic as possible, not favouring one distro over another.  dotshare.it looks neat - it already has a conky area - I didn't know about that site before:

http://dotshare.it/category/info/conky/

Downfall is one has to jyouoin, so it's not good as a "CrunchBang Conky Gallery"

Regrading the sorting of misplaced posts, good point, why do the existing threads - ton of work for what? A few months?

But if #! needs/wants a conky nut to look after the wiki and conky thread and if the powers to be agree, I do not have a problem.
Take note - I know precious little about Linux compared to many here, if you detect a hint of envy in there you'd be right, but to help with conky, threads or wiki - count me in.  Like I said: Toss my name in the pot to do whatever I can.

#17 2011-08-11 20:31:26

anonymous
The Mystery Member

Sector11 wrote:

I'd rather not see a specific #! Gallery with Conky PitStop as it should be as "distro" generic as possible, not favouring one distro over another.

I wasn't trying to suggest a specific #! gallery. Like VastOne said, I don't think its necessary to turn #! into another Conky site. The Conky Config thread really is enough IMO.

#18 2011-08-11 21:40:28

Sector11
77345 ¡#
Website

anonymous wrote:
Sector11 wrote:

I'd rather not see a specific #! Gallery with Conky PitStop as it should be as "distro" generic as possible, not favouring one distro over another.

I wasn't trying to suggest a specific #! gallery. Like VastOne said, I don't think its necessary to turn #! into another Conky site. The Conky Config thread really is enough IMO.

We've come a long way from my first post.  big_smile
But that what brainstorming is all about. - And I'm the one dribbling on!!!!!!

So maybe as simple as:

One thread - Yearly or 100 pages  - and someone watching the wiki and editing it as needed.
- eliminates the need to add a mod - to move posts from "My Conky" to "Conky Help"
- Using the existing wiki to create an index of the things discussed in the new conky thread. (modified from mynis01 comment)
- - similar to what you do with: http://crunchbanglinux.org/wiki/howto_pages
- - - or maybe not - people would still ask "How do I do X?" in the thread and the reply would then be; "Look in the wiki!" which IMHO is akin to RTFM, that's RT"Full"M.  And that's rude.  Besides sometime with conky the answer isn't black and white.  It depends on equipment as well.

which brings us back to:

One thread - Yearly or 100 pages  - and someone watching the wiki and editing it as needed.

Last edited by Sector11 (2011-08-11 21:41:49)

#19 2011-08-11 21:48:52

anonymous
The Mystery Member

Sector11 wrote:

- - - or maybe not - people would still ask "How do I do X?" in the thread and the reply would then be; "Look in the wiki!" which IMHO is akin to RTFM, that's RT"Full"M.  And that's rude.

If you want to be nice, just say "Please look in the wiki". Yes using "please" does make a difference tongue

If you want to be nicer, just post the link to the specific wiki page. This what I would usually do.

#20 2011-08-11 22:37:03

VastOne
#! Ranger
Website

anonymous wrote:
Sector11 wrote:

- - - or maybe not - people would still ask "How do I do X?" in the thread and the reply would then be; "Look in the wiki!" which IMHO is akin to RTFM, that's RT"Full"M.  And that's rude.

If you want to be nice, just say "Please look in the wiki". Yes using "please" does make a difference tongue

If you want to be nicer, just post the link to the specific wiki page. This what I would usually do.

Agreed ... and even more important, the presence of the wiki grows... 

Since I have been here, I have been to he wiki maybe three times...  And yes, I know that is MY issue, but, with flags and links to the wiki, it should at a minimum get more traffic...

VSIDO | SolusOS

#21 2011-08-11 23:19:20

Sector11
77345 ¡#
Website

anonymous wrote:
Sector11 wrote:

I agree with you, I didn't say "I" would use those answers ... but I know they are used.
As a matter of fact I don't think I have seen that type of response in the #! forums, which makes it a special place, with good people.

#22 2011-08-11 23:27:39

Sector11
77345 ¡#
Website

VastOne wrote:
anonymous wrote:
Sector11 wrote:

Agreed ... and even more important, the presence of the wiki grows... 

Since I have been here, I have been to the wiki maybe three times...  And yes, I know that is MY issue, but, with flags and links to the wiki, it should at a minimum get more traffic...

Thanks to that wiki, and the "custom search" my number of, "How do I..." type posts had dropped drastically.

THINKING OUT LOUD (OK, typing)
I wonder if there is a way to have a link like that created automatically in a thread when a new post is created?

Imagine just above a persona signature - last line of the post:

Don't forget to visit our wiki: Conky - A system monitor for X - Español

#23 2011-08-11 23:50:18

xeNULL
#! Pirate

Just thought I would mention here. What do you guys think about monthly conky config threads? like the screeny thread because I think it would be easier for people to find and admire configs if they were neatly split up into monthly threads.

AKA xii on #crunchbang #!WMFS2
dotshare | dA | 1 1 0 1 0 1 0 0 0

#24 2011-08-12 00:06:03

VastOne
#! Ranger
Website

xeNULL wrote:

Just thought I would mention here. What do you guys think about monthly conky config threads? like the screeny thread because I think it would be easier for people to find and admire configs if they were neatly split up into monthly threads.

That is one of the things that has been discussed up to this point..

@ Sector11  I  like the idea of a custom thread persona signature, if it could be done

VSIDO | SolusOS

Be excellent to each other!

#25 2011-08-12 02:33:45

omns
#! wanderer

LOL, I spend a day away and all hell breaks loose lol

I've discussed this with the other mods before but we didn't come up with a definitive answer. At the time I proposed monthly threads but I can see some merit in a yearly archive.

Unless anyone madly disagrees I will do the following later today:

• Merge the two mega threads and archive them.

• Start a new 2011 thread.

Based on the amount of traffic between now and the end of the year we can keep going with a yearly thread or discuss it some more and move to monthly threads.

back to you... smile

Board footer