I've got an EeePC 1005HA with Statler and Win 7 on it. For no apparent reason my bluetooth stopped working after I enabled and updated with backports. I've spent hours today trying to figure out what was going on. Both #! and win 7 claimed I didn't have the hardware installed at all.
I tried disable/enable in the BIOS and the fn+f2 tricks in windows. Rebooting, probing, drivers, new applets, etc without any success. Same story on windows. I finally solved the problem and thought I'd share. I've got no idea what the problem was, I've got no idea why this fixes it but:
Search and find your model (1005HA in my case)
Select win 7 as your OS (Linux doesn't work)
Go to utilities on the downloads links
Download the ASUS LiveUpdate utility.
Install it on Win 7
Run the LiveUpdate utility
It will find a BIOS update
Select and install the BIOS update (it gives easy to follow instructions)
Reboot into Win 7 & let be while it does a very long driver search
After a while it will say that it's installed v 2.1 of the bluetooth software.
Problem solved under both #! and Win 7.
I'd previously tried to install v2.1 of the bluetooth driver/UI from the ASUS downloads and it failed claiming I didn't have a bluetooth card in my system. Why this BIOS update worked I can't say. Why bluetooth stopped working after a backports update is equally mysterious. I realize this post is a bit irritating given that it requires windows; however, I'd have bought a copy of windows to get this damn thing working 3 hours ago, so here it is.
FHSM: avoid vowels and exotic consonants and you'll get your handle every time. identi.ca