SEARCH

Enter your search query in the box above ^, or use the forum search tool.

You are not logged in.

#1 2011-05-11 16:11:47

Unia
#! Octo-portal-pussy

Rooting an android phone

So I just bought an HTC Wildfire phone and am looking for instructions on how to root it. I've read multiple websites, some stating it's not possible yet and others stating it is. Anyways, I've also read so many different how-to's and websites about rooting, that I am sort of clueless on where to start.

Since I don't want to mess things up, I'm asking you guys here who have rooted their android phone for some good websites on this topic, with clear how-to's and instructions. Thanks!

(@ Omns, did you root your Galaxy S yet? wink)

If you can't sit by a cozy fire with your code in hand enjoying its simplicity and clarity, it needs more work. --Carlos Torres
Github

I am a #! forum moderator. Feel free to send me a PM with any question you have!

Help fund CrunchBang, donate to the project!

#2 2011-05-11 16:34:48

bobrossw
#! Die Hard

Re: Rooting an android phone

I'll be in a similar position pretty soon.  Been thinking about finally getting a data plan for a while now.

#3 2011-05-11 18:01:26

FiniteStateMachine
Part of the Machine

First off, do you have the Wildfire or Wildfire S?

If its the regular Wildfire, the only way you can root is if your running the OS version lower than 2.2.1 
You can check your version in Settings -> About Phone -> Firmware Version

If you are still on 2.1, then here is the best guide: http://forum.xda-developers.com/showthread.php?t=824396

It's a different process for every phone btw, because the tools you use are specific to your phone.

just call me...
~FSM~

#4 2011-05-11 19:57:17

Unia
#! Octo-portal-pussy

FiniteStateMachine wrote:

First off, do you have the Wildfire or Wildfire S?

If its the regular Wildfire, the only way you can root is if your running the OS version lower than 2.2.1 
You can check your version in Settings -> About Phone -> Firmware Version

If you are still on 2.1, then here is the best guide: http://forum.xda-developers.com/showthread.php?t=824396

It's a different process for every phone btw, because the tools you use are specific to your phone.

And exactly for that last reason is why I'm clueless on where to start tongue I got the [older] regular Wildfire - don't have much money at the moment. Thanks FSM, but I just noticed I got 2.2.1.. Guess that ends the adventure already lol Is there any other way to delete some pre-delivered applications? Or hide them somewhere else?

If you can't sit by a cozy fire with your code in hand enjoying its simplicity and clarity, it needs more work. --Carlos Torres
Github

I am a #! forum moderator. Feel free to send me a PM with any question you have!

#5 2011-05-11 20:00:34

omns
#! wanderer

Unia wrote:

No, I didn't. There a few reasons why but basically I'm not that interested in doing it. roll

#6 2011-05-11 20:08:11

Unia
#! Octo-portal-pussy

omns wrote:
Unia wrote:

No, I didn't. There a few reasons why but basically I'm not that interested in doing it. roll

What are the others if I may ask? The risk of making your phone unusable?

Github

#7 2011-05-11 20:35:19

omns
#! wanderer

Unia wrote:

What are the others if I may ask? The risk of making your phone unusable?

You may smile after reassurances from others I wasn't worried about breaking it. At the time it boiled down to 3 questions.

Do I really have a need/purpose for doing this?' Do I realistically have the time to tinker and learn how to do it? Am I really interested in the process?

The answer to all 3 questions was no smile

#8 2011-05-11 20:47:20

jinnstar
#! CrunchBanger

I rooted my Galaxy S (Epic) using the wiki on XDA-Developers.com. You may need a flash application. Heimdall and Heimdall-Frontend worked very well for me. Once you get Clockwork mod to replace or in addition to your recovery screen the rest of the flashing can be done on the phone itself.

Hope this helps!

Roar!

#9 2011-05-11 20:49:53

jinnstar
#! CrunchBanger

Once you backup (make doubles) there is very little risk involved. It's pretty tough to brick an Android device as far as I know. ymmv. Make sure you understand rooting vs replacing the rom and what the options are for your device.

Roar!

#10 2011-05-11 20:55:34

joe772

like everyone else has said, xda-developers is where to go. They have phone specific forums, and tons of general information. I own a droid X and am on a custom rom development team. (Team Defuse/Fission) If you have any general rooting/ROM/etc questions, I'll be glad to answer (:

#11 2011-05-11 22:31:50

kook
#! CrunchBanger

there seems to be a chance once again...
http://c-skills.blogspot.com/

#12 2011-05-11 23:29:04

FiniteStateMachine
Part of the Machine

@Unia, you can use an alternative launcher to hide applications from the app drawer.

Specifically, you can install ADW Launcher (search Anderweb in the market).
Then press the home button and select ADW.
Open up the app drawer and press the details button (the one that gives you more options).
Select new catalog, make a new one. Then you can select to edit catalog, and select what apps you want to show up.

just call me...
~FSM~

#13 2011-05-12 02:38:29

tranche
#! CrunchBanger
Website

I went through basically the same thing that omns described when I got my Droid X.   Decided that the actual, day-to-day differences between a rooted and non-rooted phone weren't important enough to invest the kind of time it takes to become an up-to-date member of the rooting movement.  The only thing really interesting was laptop USB tethering which allows you to use the 3G network on your laptop for "free".  Until Verizon decides to crush you like a bug and send you a $2000 invoice for all that bandwidth you've been using. 

For basic, non-root hackage, it's worth setting up an SSH server on the phone to integrate it more tightly with Linux, but beyond that I didn't want most of the stuff that rooting gives you.

#14 2011-05-12 03:43:27

kook
#! CrunchBanger

The binary has to be uploaded to the device via "adb push"
inside a writable and executable directory:

/data/local/tmp

is right where i fail again, thanks to my very carefull sense-ui provider(?). But im setting my sights on n900 smile

#15 2011-05-12 04:11:11

JDP
#! Member

I waited several months to root my Intercept. I wanted to keep it stock so when Virgin Mobile finally pushed out the 2.2 update I could get it without issue. 2.2 vs 2.1 is a major jump in features and usability. People had been playing with the Sprint release for the same phone and had (for the files we have access to) permanently changed some important settings like the 3G modem baseband firmware. Rooting can be dangerous to do if you don't fully understand what it is you are trying to change and start messing with system files. It's more important to be careful what you do on your phone because there are things that you try to change that can't be recovered from like you can on a PC by just wiping the drive and starting over.

When I finally did do it though, I killed the startup/shutdown sounds. That's one of the most terrible things that VM did to the phone, along with some of the awful pre-installed apps.

#16 2011-05-12 15:01:17

Unia
#! Octo-portal-pussy

FiniteStateMachine wrote:

@Unia, you can use an alternative launcher to hide applications from the app drawer.

Specifically, you can install ADW Launcher (search Anderweb in the market).
Then press the home button and select ADW.
Open up the app drawer and press the details button (the one that gives you more options).
Select new catalog, make a new one. Then you can select to edit catalog, and select what apps you want to show up.

Nice, thanks!

Github

#17 2011-05-12 16:16:58

FiniteStateMachine
Part of the Machine

There are some benefits to rooting you might not consider.
The biggest for me was alternative interfaces to the phone.

Sure every android phone is running android, but different manufacturers put a different skin on top. It's like the difference between gnome and kde or xfce.

Sometimes though, the interfaces you can get from the modding community are really high quality, and a lot better than stock. MIUI is a great one if you want to look it up. It's like the difference between gnome and openbox. Not that MIUI is lighter, its just that much different.

Other useful features include adblocking from all applications, not just the web browser, application and info backup (a complete backup, which you can then flash back on to any phone easily), and tweaking cpu settings, ram settings, and undervolting / overclocking. If your running an older phone, overclocking can make a huge difference, and doesn't run the risk of damaging hardware due to built in monitors. Undervolting on the other hand will give you much longer battery life.

Sometimes the tweaks are the biggest thing though. You can imagine that a manufacturer doesn't want to spend a tonne of time getting their phone to the best performance it could be at. They want acceptable, and then push it out.

These tweaks are specific to each phone, and can really make a huge difference. With the Galaxy S Captivate (the phone I own), I can give you some examples. Samsung used the RFS+ filesystem, which is really just fat32 plus some overhead. This slowed the phone down so much because for every write request, the phone wrote right then. Opening applications or the application drawer got progressively slower the more you had.  Custom roms on the other hand use EXT2 and/or EXT4, which bundles the writes and suddenly the entire phone performed better.

Another example is the battery life. On an average day I'd get maybe 8 hours battery. Once I switched to a custom rom, I was looking at ~20 hours.  That is a huge jump that most phones experience, and is definitely something worth rooting for.

And finally, the Captivate has a really nice Wolfson audio chip in it. It's a very high end chip, but it wasn't being utilized fully. If you get a custom rom, you can install a kernel with 'Voodoo Sound' which installs an interface to the chip enabling higher quality output, EQ, and better microphone recording. Once you listen to music with voodoo sound (provided you have a good pair of headphones), it's impossible to go back.

In short, rooting and flashing a new rom don't only provide the conventional benefits, they also fix hardware and software problems, and allow for much more control of your system. Often times you don't realize how much rooting does for you until you do it, and then start finding the apps which require root.

I recommend it to everyone, as it's come to the point where any phone that can be rooted and is older than a month or two can be rooted with a 'one-click' method, which is dead simple and near impossible to screw up. Certainly, if you can run linux, you can root your phone. And on top of that, it is very easy to get it back to 100% stock on most phones, so if you need to take it in for warrenty it's not a big deal.

just call me...
~FSM~

#18 2011-05-12 17:29:01

Unia
#! Octo-portal-pussy

Now you made me sad that I can't root mine sad wink Do you have any clue on if it will be possible later on?

Github

#19 2011-05-12 19:01:19

Awebb
The Singularity

I'm thinking about getting root access to fill the hosts file with a list of ad servers. Those ads are really annoying. I don't have a data plan, so most apps are a horror scenario outside my wifi network.

I'm so meta, even this acronym

#20 2011-05-12 19:19:47

matthew1471

I used http://unrevoked.com/ to root my HTC Desire. It was really easy... I think even my wife could manage it.

The wildfire is supported too I think.

#21 2011-05-12 19:24:44

Unia
#! Octo-portal-pussy

matthew1471 wrote:

I used http://unrevoked.com/ to root my HTC Desire. It was really easy... I think even my wife could manage it.

Does it support Android 2.2.1?

Github

#22 2011-05-13 01:56:01

JDP
#! Member

If you are going to root only and not flash there is a file that gets around that uses a flaw in adb to gain root access. AFAIK, most of the one-click roots use it or a variation. rageagainstthecage-arm5.bin is the file. People report that it gets flagged by AV/malware scanners, and rightly so. It uses a known exploit in Android to gain a temporary root on many phones. You then use that root to do what even tweak and mods you want and when you reboot the phone the root goes away if you haven't flashed a new kernel or ROM. So, if you just want to make a few changes and know exactly what to change and are comfortable on a command line (using #! you ought to be to some degree, ;-) you can use the basic adb tools that can be downloaded from Google to push the rage .bin over and gain a  temporary root shell. Doing more advanced changes and flashing things will be more particular phone specific. Google all you can and be educated before you dive in though.

#23 2011-05-18 22:22:49

jinnstar
#! CrunchBanger

Unia wrote:
matthew1471 wrote:

Does it support Android 2.2.1?

I did on my friends HTC Evo with 2.2.1

Roar!

#24 2011-05-19 04:11:56

FiniteStateMachine
Part of the Machine

@Unia & Jinnstar

it's not about whether unrevoked supports 2.2.1, its whether it can permanently root the wildfire at 2.2.1, the answer is no. As I said, there is no solution to a permanent root currently.

See here: http://forum.xda-developers.com/showthread.php?t=976914

Basically if you just watch the development thread for the phone at XDA Developers, you'll know what available as far as rooting, roms, etc. Thats where any android rooting or rom development happens, and where all these utilities like unrevoked spawn from.

just call me...
~FSM~

Be excellent to each other!

#25 2011-05-20 22:41:40

JDP
#! Member

I had a need to use adb to do some rooting for other people yesterday, and need to do it again. I had been using my Ubuntu 10.10 install and adb in the Android SDK tools worked fine, though it needed su privs to get adb working correctly.  Now on #! it's not working at all. I'm running the 2.6.32 Liquorix kernel and have chmod'd the abd binary with mode 777 and no dice either as user. I chown'd it to root:root and no luck with sudo/su either.

jon@leon:~/android-sdk-linux_x86/platform-tools$ ls -l
total 20152
-rwxrwxrwx 1 jon  jon   3747857 May 18 21:24 aapt
-rwxrwxrwx 1 root root   363197 May 18 21:24 adb
-rwxrwxrwx 1 jon  jon    906338 May 18 21:24 aidl
-rwxrwxrwx 1 jon  jon    328445 May 18 21:24 dexdump
-rwxrwxrwx 1 jon  jon      2603 May 18 21:24 dx
drwxr-xr-x 2 jon  jon      4096 May 18 21:24 lib
-rwxrwxrwx 1 jon  jon  14929076 May 18 21:24 llvm-rs-cc
-rw-r--r-- 1 jon  jon    332494 May 18 21:24 NOTICE.txt
-rw-r--r-- 1 jon  jon       291 May 18 21:24 source.properties
jon@leon:~/android-sdk-linux_x86/platform-tools$ ./adb