SEARCH

Enter your search query in the box above ^, or use the forum search tool.

You are not logged in.

#1 2011-03-06 10:35:23

michaelrose

Stuck with 9 forever? Want to move to Statler, can't get USB booting

I'm having zero luck with the dd method to get Statler. Despite many attempts.

Tech:

* Dell Mini 9
* 2GB USB stick (was what I used originally to get #!9 working in the past, works for hacking AppleTV, etc.

The last attempt:

1. Gparted: Wiped USB stick, created new partition table, created new partition, FAT32, primary partition.
2. Used the 'dd method' to add .iso to the stick - no errors
3. Rebooted and chose 'USB device" for boot.
    3.1 Or just allowing to boot with USB as first boot device
4. Message:

Missing operating system
    Intel UNDI, PXE-2.1 (build 082)
    Copyright (C) 1997-2000 Intel Corporation

For Realtek RTL8101E/8102E PCI-E Ethernet Controller v1.08 (080408)
    PXE-E61: Media test failure, check cable
    PXE-M0F: Exiting PXE ROM.

Now all I can do is remove USB and I'm back into #!9

Since CrunchBang 9 I've been stuck with 9. Nothing will get onto a USB stick in a way that's recognised, I've used the Unetbootin, USB-creator and 'dd' methods and each have failed as there is something at the very start that prevents the USB from being recognised as a bootable, startup disk. I've tried Ubuntu netbook remix, Ubuntu server, and Windows isos and NONE have worked. All get me back to this more, fundamental error.

I think once I'm onto Statler I'll be fine, updated look super easy, but... I'm stuck in 9 land sad

Don't get me wrong, I love 9 and have been using it for over a year, I'm very happy. But if I can't get 10 I might have to wiped everything, somehow, and start again... but at the moment I don't even have the tools to do that other than replace the physical drive with a fresh disk that doesn't have some nasty looping GRUB/Loader that prevents me from doing anything but boot into CrunchBang9.

Can someone recommend a method to nix what I have on boot disk and grub and that will allow me to use a USB stick to start afresh? Can I kill GRUB or whatever is preventing the USB from being recognised?

Dell Mini 9 - 2GB RAM - 8GB SSD - Dropbox for all my files - Job Done!

Help fund CrunchBang, donate to the project!

#2 2011-03-06 10:37:39

omns
#! wanderer

Re: Stuck with 9 forever? Want to move to Statler, can't get USB booting

Format it as ext 3 before dd'ing

#3 2011-03-06 12:03:47

Awebb
The Singularity

I doubt formatting the partition will change anything. In fact, creating the partition is unnecessary.

Say your stick is /dev/sdc. Creating a partition on /dev/sdc will result in a partition /dev/sdc1.

dd'ing the image to /dev/sdc will write the raw data from the image to /dev/sdc. The partition table will be overwritten, the relevant boot data will be written to "boot sector" of the stick. The data will be written to the stick in the order they appear on the image, just as they would be written to a CD blank.

As you might observe, the formerly created partition /dev/sdc1 will be gone. The portion of your stick will be partitioned as "ISO 9660", the CD-ROM file system.

Well, enough of this. You should try the following:
- Download Arch Linux, dd it to your stick and try to boot it. If this works, there is nothing wrong with the stick.
- Download the Debian netinstaller, dd it to your stick. If this works, there is (in theory) no reason why Statler should not work.

EDIT: Why "bs=4M;sync" I believe if such things are needed, there might be an issue with the image.

Last edited by Awebb (2011-03-06 12:07:44)

I'm so meta, even this acronym

#4 2011-03-06 15:21:40

steen
#! CrunchBanger
Website

I've tried using dd to make different USB images: Debian, Crunckbang, Ubuntu - but my laptop wouldn't boot into none of them - just went on booting on the harddisk. But when using unetbootin it works every time. Strange...

"You bow to NOone..."

#5 2011-03-06 15:46:35

rstrcogburn
CrunchRanger
Website

Have you tried updating your bios?  That might get the usb-boot option working.

That hawk just kept flying! -Ben Lilly

#6 2011-03-06 18:18:48

anonymous
The Mystery Member

Does your USB drive work in other systems?

#7 2011-03-06 19:07:09

omns
#! wanderer

Awebb wrote:

I doubt formatting the partition will change anything. In fact, creating the partition is unnecessary.

Yes you'd think so but formatting with ext3 before starting is the only thing that works for me. fat32, ext2 etc etc all fail.

Awebb wrote:

EDIT: Why "bs=4M;sync" I believe if such things are needed, there might be an issue with the image.

Does it really matter if there is an issue with the image? Adding bs-4M;sync allows for successful disk creation from this particular image. End of story.

#8 2011-03-06 19:51:01

iann
#! Die Hard

Does your Dell boot from FAT32?  Some laptops need FAT16.  Looks like your laptop is already set to try and boot from the USB.  First step must be to find something that will actually boot from the USB.  Maybe another distro.  Maybe a copy of 9.04?  Then we can work from there to making it boot Statler.

#9 2011-03-06 20:45:01

Awebb
The Singularity

omns wrote:

Yes you'd think so but formatting with ext3 before starting is the only thing that works for me. fat32, ext2 etc etc all fail.

Interesting. I'll do some research.

omns wrote:

Does it really matter if there is an issue with the image? Adding bs-4M;sync allows for successful disk creation from this particular image. End of story.

On the contrary, this is just the beginning. I think there are some issues with the image. It needs a certain blocksize and syncing, it refuses to work with unetbootin and it does not work for some users on some combinations of stick and machines. Some of them (past versions) even refused to run in QEMU. If there is something wrong with the images, we should find out what and why. Then, maybe, we'll approach your EOS.

#10 2011-03-06 20:56:32

burton247
#! CrunchBanger
Website

Strange, I thought it wouldn't matter what the original file system is, it should just copy everything.

I managed to install arch on my usb stick and it booted fine from my dell inspiron.

I'm assuming you've tried to get the stick to boot on another computer? If not I would try that, it'll help isolate the issue. If it doesn't boot on any computer then use another computer to create bootable usb perhaps. I remember I had a lot to play around with when installing arch to a memory stick. But I could boot up a live CD and just install it to my memory stick that way.

Have you tried ext4? It's been said before that it shouldn't affect it but it clearly is. I had issues when trying to do #! and ext3 if I remember correctly.

My person website, Michael Burton

#11 2011-03-06 21:25:25

omns
#! wanderer

Awebb wrote:

On the contrary, this is just the beginning. I think there are some issues with the image. It needs a certain blocksize and syncing, it refuses to work with unetbootin and it does not work for some users on some combinations of stick and machines. Some of them (past versions) even refused to run in QEMU. If there is something wrong with the images, we should find out what and why.

I disagree. I don't see it as corenominal's job to produce an image that satisfies everyone under the sun. CrunchBang as an OS itself would be substantially different and work at a  grander scale if it did. CrunchBang and its images are what they are. I kind of like it that way.

#12 2011-03-07 01:33:05

Sector11
77345 ¡#
Website

omns wrote:
Awebb wrote:

On the contrary, this is just the beginning. I think there are some issues with the image. It needs a certain blocksize and syncing, it refuses to work with unetbootin and it does not work for some users on some combinations of stick and machines. Some of them (past versions) even refused to run in QEMU. If there is something wrong with the images, we should find out what and why.

I disagree. I don't see it as corenominal's job to produce an image that satisfies everyone under the sun. CrunchBang as an OS itself would be substantially different and work at a  grander scale if it did. CrunchBang and its images are what they are. I kind of like it that way.

+1

#13 2011-03-07 01:48:34

anonymous
The Mystery Member

omns wrote:
Awebb wrote:

I don't think Awebb is talking about program choices and defaults. He means the actual images themselves (ISO). For example why don't the images work flawlessly with Unetbootin?

#14 2011-03-07 02:17:00

rstrcogburn
CrunchRanger
Website

Isn't statler's unetbootin incompatability a result of using debian-live?  It's always worked great dd bs=4M on different flash media for me.  I'm curious to know what peoples different attempts have been flash media wise and if they dd'd it with the proper geometry "4M"..

#15 2011-03-07 02:18:50

rstrcogburn
CrunchRanger
Website

debootstrap is always a possible install procedure, if no other mediums work.  It'd be cool to have a debootstrap guide of installing statler on the wiki!?

#16 2011-03-07 05:03:18

omns
#! wanderer

anonymous wrote:

I don't think Awebb is talking about program choices and defaults. He means the actual images themselves (ISO). For example why don't the images work flawlessly with Unetbootin?

I get it. That's what my comments refer to.

#17 2011-03-07 11:34:12

iann
#! Die Hard

I've used dd to create a USB image and it booted fine.  unetbootin and something else, I forget, didn't work.

Last edited by iann (2011-03-07 11:35:04)

#18 2011-03-07 19:02:21

michaelrose

Thanks for all your suggestions. I know it's nothing to do with my drivers/bios, as I said I've gotten 9 on here without any issues, using the exact same hardware.

So.. I tried EXT3 and EXT4. No joy.

But then I saw that I should be dd'ing to sdb not sdb1 and looking at my bash history I may have been making that mistake.

Anyway, I started again, did EXT4, made sure that the 'boot' flag was present and tried Arch linux as suggested here....

I GOT A NEW ERROR

(Progress!?!)

I now know I have a booting USB stick as I get

ISOLINUX 3.68

But then I get

No DEFAULT or UI configuration directive found!
    boot:

I didn't know what to do so I tried 'boot' and got:

Could not find kernal image: boot

So... USB stick works... but the ISO is not doing what it should?

Last edited by michaelrose (2011-03-07 19:03:06)

#19 2011-03-07 20:55:37

Awebb
The Singularity

This sounds like you tried to install arch using unetbootin.

Please list your bios settings concerning USB.

#20 2011-03-07 21:00:51

michaelrose

Nope. dd method again. Trying to only change one thing at a time.

Bios automatically looks for USB and attempts to boot from the flash drive.

I've found a solution to my issue... but... because I'm using an ISO it's read only so this fix won't work either sad

#21 2011-03-07 21:22:40

SherlockHolmes

What about buying an external USB CD/DVD-reader/writer? I have done so. I could burn a CD, start a CD live session and install linux on Acer Aspire One netbook. (Two Acer Aspire One are my only computers at home, and it's always good to be able to read / write a CD.)

Last edited by SherlockHolmes (2011-03-07 21:30:06)

#22 2011-03-07 22:01:27

michaelrose

That's certainly a solution. Not quite the one I was looking for. If I have to buy a external drive I might as well buy a new SSD and start over!

#23 2011-03-13 12:47:11

Microcord
#! Member

Hello. This is the first post by a newbie. #1 Crunchbanger writes above:

I've used dd to create a USB image and it booted fine.  unetbootin and something else, I forget, didn't work.

I've used dd and MultiBootISOs (both strictly according to detailed and apparently expert recipes) and neither worked. Then, thanks to a tip (here) from Martin Webster -- a man who claimed no familiarity with CrunchBang but who had used the same computer (HP Mini 5102) -- I saw and sedulously followed this explanation (for a different HP computer) by Lars Michelsen. It worked beautifully: I made a bootable USB pen drive from which I was actually able to boot and install CrunchBang on the hard drive, from where I've been able to boot.

(Which is where my new troubles began -- but they're grist for a separate thread.)

#24 2011-03-13 21:52:09

floydpepper
#! Member

Try using a different USB stick. Whenever I install Statler from USB, I borrow a number of USB sticks from different people, because my 16GB USB refuses to boot Statler, but works fine with booting Mint. I've noticed that some USB sticks just don't work for me when it comes to USB-installing Statler on my HP Mini 210. No idea why, though. hmm

Be excellent to each other!

#25 2011-03-14 03:52:27

paxmark1
#! CrunchBanger

As mentioned previous, borrow a external cd-rw (or dvd-rw) and burn a cd-rw of the most recent or last Decembers iso.  Use the text install. 

And if no luck, try archbang.  Archbang and grub 2 and my tiny 4gb ssd on eee901 and /home on a 16 gb sdhc was very problematic with sda and sdb on Archbang beta and crunchbang Statler alpha.   I had problems with the cd-rom  install with archbang beta.  I had no problems with crunchbang alpha with the cd-rom.  Maybe if every way fails with crunchbang than you should go with the very nice arch architechture.  And if that all fails try Centos or Fedora.  Just keep trying.  cd-rw's are nice for keep trying. 

oh btw  probably mentioned somewhere - but are you using 64 bit or 32 bit boot image?  Atom cores - if that is what the dell mini9 is have two threads - but are 32 bit. 

peace, Mark

Last edited by paxmark1 (2011-03-14 03:57:44)

Jean Vanier wrote "Being Human" and "A Short History of Progress" by Ronald Wright.  Gotta love the Massey Lectures.

Board footer