SEARCH

Enter your search query in the box above ^, or use the forum search tool.

You are not logged in.

#1 2010-12-05 15:27:12

kickstart

[Resolved]#! unable to recognise Huawei E1752 Orange broadband dongle.

I think I am going to declare this topic resolved as I can now reliably connect even if it is a slightly long-winded procedure. I am going through a busy time presently, I have just been told I have to transfer to another ship in two days and internet access may be a bit difficult for a while. I will definitely experiment with the several suggestions I have received once things settle down. My thanks to coyotl and GuruX for showing such an interest in this topic.

Last edited by kickstart (2010-12-15 19:40:12)

Be excellent to each other!

#2 2010-12-05 15:35:06

anonymous
The Mystery Member

Re: [Resolved]#! unable to recognise Huawei E1752 Orange broadband dongle.

First off, #! 8.10 is way old. You should switch to Statler or (if you have a fear of the word alpha) then another distro.

#3 2010-12-05 15:48:12

kickstart

I knew somebody would suggest that! Unfortunately I will not be in a position to get another distro until I leave this ship and go home on leave which is some time away yet. To download Statler would use up my monthly bandwidth allowance in one go. (I only have a 500 MB pay monthly contract as I only normally do a bit of browsing and e-mail when I'm away on the ship.) I guess I'm stuck with 8.10 for a while. I just thought that once it had achieved a handshake with the dongle, it should continue to do so and could be made to connect with a bit of tweaking.

#4 2010-12-05 15:53:26

coyotl

try lsusb command and see if the device is found.

also try umtsmon (download it) --you'll need to install qt4libs (search qt4 in synaptic) to use it.

Could it be a modeswitch problem? --seems possible with this old version

there is a commandline program for that, usb-modeswitch or something

#5 2010-12-05 17:59:23

kickstart

Many thanks coyotl. lsusb found Huawei Technologies top of the list and my mobile broadband connection was reinstated in network manager's list where it has stayed. It still won't connect though but I feel I'm a step closer. Being inexperienced with Linux I really rely on people like yourself who are familiar with the various commands.

As for downloading your other suggestions, I'm going to have to get my laptop off the ship and find a wifi connection before I can download umtsmon (I know my wireless adaptor works well with #!), which I'm not in a position to do at present.

I read about modeswitch problems in another thread but since my dongle does not have the micro SD card installed, I'm assuming that it will always be seen as a modem rather than storage and shouldn't be a problem.

#6 2010-12-05 20:20:44

coyotl

As far as I understand modeswitch is used by windows to install drivers and connect software from the
dongle's flash chip. Then the win driver switches the device into modem mode.
I have a Huawei1752 but it was problematic -it does require modeswitch -so i use Huawei E220 which i got from my former ISP

it may be the problem

#7 2010-12-05 21:38:05

kickstart

[Resolved] #! unable to recognise Huawei E1752 Orange mobile broadband dongle.

Yesss! I'm in! Using coyotl's advice to get #! to recognise the dongle I experimented with the connection settings. Starting afresh with add a new connection I chose Orange JustTalk from the drop down list as it did not specify a user name and password. I then edited the connection as follows:-

On the mobile broadband tab I changed the number from *99# to *99***1# as in the Windows connection and changed the APN from orangeinternet to consumerbroadband as in the Windows  Orange mobile broadband utility.

Under the PPP settings tab I didn't change anything.

Under the IPv4 tab I changed the DNS servers to 156.154.70.1,156.154.71.1 free servers from a google search.

Still no connection!

Next I tried changing the number under the mobile broadband tab back to *99# and it connected immediately I clicked apply.

It would appear that using the old 08.10 distro with the latest UK version of the E1752, modeswitch is not an issue. It is working very well and seems a little faster than it is in Windoze. I had a hunch that it would all work out in the end and it was just a case of the default connection settings being out of date for the latest version of Orange mobile broadband. This post was made without cheating and resorting to Windows! Trouble is without the Orange connection utility I can't keep track of my usage but no doubt this may be possible with some research.

Hope this solution is of use to others with a similar problem. If anyone wants to know the website where I got the DNS servers from, I can't remember it and I'd have to go back to my Windows version of Firefox where I have bookmarked it.

p.s. how do I change the thread title to add [Resolved]? I've only managed to add it to the body text. I've done it before but I can't remember how I did it.

#8 2010-12-05 23:07:26

anonymous
The Mystery Member

Im glad you got it solved. To change the thread title, just edit your first post.

#9 2010-12-05 23:48:32

kickstart

Damn! back in Windoze again.
Glad I didn't manage to add [Resolved] to the thread title because it isn't.
The mobile broadband connection has dropped off the list again and refuses to reappear.
lsusb command still lists the dongle as present but it seems coyotl was right all along about modeswitch.

Must go to bed now as I have an early start but I'll have another look at the modeswitch issue tomorrow as I can't put up with the random success or failure to recognise the dongle.

#10 2010-12-06 14:53:16

coyotl

Networkmanager sometimes ignores my dongle too.
edit: lsusb does not affect results in nm-applet/networkmanager, it just checks if the system has found the device.

you might try umtsmon, download it in windows.
Depending on what you have installed you may have the qtlibs you need.
Unpack the binary you get from souceforge and do sudo ./umtsmon from terminal in that directory.
The commandline output will tell you if you miss any libraries.
You may have to run umtsmon as root.
In my #! the output is 'missing libqt-mt.so.3' so that libqt3-mt package is needed.

http://packages.ubuntu.com/hardy/libs/libqt3-mt

--ubuntu packages and their dependencies can be downloaded for offline installation.
Hardy should work,check the package listing for deps, download those too.
Install with gdebi or sudo dpkg -i *deb in the directory where you downloaded. May have to run sudo apt-get -f install too.

tedious but can be done..

edit: try first before downloading deps, you probably have what is needed.

usb-modeswitch is not in hardy or jaunty repos:

http://www.draisberghof.de/usb_modeswitch/

Last edited by coyotl (2010-12-06 14:58:45)

#11 2010-12-06 23:31:12

kickstart

Thanks for the info coyotl. I realised after I had posted that lsusb had nothing to do with the dongle switching mode spontaneously, it was just coincidence. It did another flip earlier and was able to download usb-modeswitch from draisberghof. Tried to install  and got this:-

nick@nick-laptop:~/dls/usb-modeswitch-1.1.5$ make install
gcc -o usb_modeswitch usb_modeswitch.c -Wall -l usb
usb_modeswitch.c:56:17: error: usb.h: No such file or directory
usb_modeswitch.c: In function ‘main’:
usb_modeswitch.c:346: warning: implicit declaration of function ‘usb_init’
usb_modeswitch.c:349: warning: implicit declaration of function ‘usb_set_debug’
usb_modeswitch.c:351: warning: implicit declaration of function ‘usb_find_busses’
usb_modeswitch.c:352: warning: implicit declaration of function ‘usb_find_devices’
usb_modeswitch.c:395: error: dereferencing pointer to incomplete type
usb_modeswitch.c:396: error: dereferencing pointer to incomplete type
usb_modeswitch.c:398: warning: implicit declaration of function ‘usb_open’
usb_modeswitch.c:398: warning: assignment makes pointer from integer without a cast
usb_modeswitch.c:408: error: dereferencing pointer to incomplete type
usb_modeswitch.c:539: warning: implicit declaration of function ‘usb_close’
usb_modeswitch.c: In function ‘deviceDescription’:
usb_modeswitch.c:597: error: dereferencing pointer to incomplete type
usb_modeswitch.c:598: warning: implicit declaration of function ‘usb_get_string_simple’
usb_modeswitch.c:598: error: dereferencing pointer to incomplete type
usb_modeswitch.c:607: error: dereferencing pointer to incomplete type
usb_modeswitch.c:608: error: dereferencing pointer to incomplete type
usb_modeswitch.c:617: error: dereferencing pointer to incomplete type
usb_modeswitch.c:618: error: dereferencing pointer to incomplete type
usb_modeswitch.c: In function ‘deviceInquire’:
usb_modeswitch.c:650: warning: implicit declaration of function

and so on for over two pages. Do I have to install as root? I tried but got the message terminal not specified. I tried to specify one from the drop down box but now terminal does not appear at all in root though it's still ok when I am user/group.

I have a problem with downloading as the dongle only flips mode occasionally by itself and I am able to connect but I have been trying all evening with no success so I haven't been able to try umtsmon yet.

Didn't notice you said download umtsmon in windows. However I am now back on line in #! after rebooting from a Windows session so I can do it directly. I think it did this before. I wonder if Windows is switching mode and it's staying switched when rebooting directly to #! and keeping the dongle powered up? No, that sounds ridiculous, probably just another coincidence.

Last edited by kickstart (2010-12-06 23:48:55)

#12 2010-12-07 01:27:58

coyotl

Forget about compiling.
Find a deb somewhere.

was there only source code on the modeswitch site?

#13 2010-12-07 20:20:53

kickstart

The downloads on the modeswitch site were two tarballs, one with the application and one with data for the various USB devices. Unpacked, the application folder contents look like this:-

www.kickstart-club.org.uk/usbswitch3.jpg

I am Windows user, still very inexperienced with Linux and have yet to grasp the concept of compiling source code. To my untutored eyes this looks very much like an unzipped Windows app. so I'm assuming this is already compiled. The instructions were to run a terminal from the folder location with the command make install.

In the meantime I have a workaround. It seems my theory of the dongle remaining switched to modem mode when booting direct from Windows to #! was not far fetched after all. Starting the Windows dongle app first before rebooting into #! has the mobile broadband dongle appearing in Network Manager every time. The only time it fails is when #! hangs on boot just at the point where the mouse cursor should appear, which happens quite often. I then have to do a power off and hard reboot into Windows again as the dongle flips back when powered down.

However I will persist in my endeavour to sort it out properly as this is a clumsy way to connect and won't do at all when the day comes I feel I have learnt enough about Linux administration to get rid of Windows from this computer.

Haven't had a chance to play with umtsmon yet - busy day at work, looks like just the sort of application I want.

My ship leaves port in the morning so I will be off line till the end of the week. Hopefully I will get a good 3G signal in the next port and I will be able to continue this project.

#14 2010-12-07 22:45:16

coyotl

Did you try to do make install as user?
If so try sudo make install

But forget about this for now:
Here's a new 3g tool, might be the best solution (I've never seen it before)

http://www.sakis3g.org/

You'll need the full version as your system does not have usb_modeswitch.

Hope you get it sorted out.

edit: works out of the box on my Debian Lenny system

Last edited by coyotl (2010-12-07 23:30:05)

#15 2010-12-11 18:25:11

coyotl

here's another GUI tool, umts-panel2, this is a frontend for the command line tool wvdial
which is well integrated in linux.

Repository:
http://cobrasbyte.de/debian/

the deb is here:
http://cobrasbyte.de/debian/pool/main/u/umts-panel2/

edit: this tool is available in Statler -needs dependencies from Squeeze.
If still on 8.10 try sakis3g

Last edited by coyotl (2010-12-12 12:34:59)

#16 2010-12-12 21:31:54

kickstart

Last edited by kickstart (2010-12-12 22:55:34)

#17 2010-12-12 21:33:54

kickstart

Apologies for going quiet, ship has been at sea for a few days, back in port briefly, then out again till the end of the week.

So far I have managed to try out sakis3g. It works but is a bit clumsy and long-winded thus:-

I made a desktop shortcut. Used file manager to reveal desktop. Click on sakis3g, click more options  and click only switch modem, enter password, exit sakis, then connect using network manager which I prefer as sakis doesn't leave a tray icon unless you run
./sakis3g helper balloons &
from a terminal. Using sakis to connect means I have to navigate back to the sakis file again to disconnect. Network manager's tray icon makes it a bit easier. Having to run a terminal command every time to get a tray icon is a bit of a nuisance.

I tried adding the following to autostart.sh  It didn't work but I'm not surprised as I am still a total Linux novice.

# Launch sakis3g
sakis3g helper balloons &

Thanks for all the tips coyotl, I'll try some of your other suggestions when were settled at our next port (providing I can get a signal on the dongle as it's a bit remote). I think I'm just about ready to declare this thread resolved but I'll hang on a bit longer as I'm sure there are still improvements that can be made.

#18 2010-12-12 21:52:21

GuruX
#! Die Hard

When I have trouble with my 3G modems, I try to use them with wvdial. It's very often a better solution than using nm-applet. It's a terminal app that dials PPP för you. It won't modeswitch for you though.
It's in the repos.

#19 2010-12-12 23:00:54

coyotl

you should be able to edit the openbox menu or whatever windowmanager you use
and add an entry for sakis3g ..

obmenu  (or edit the config file)

you can place the sakis executable in /usr/local/bin  f.ex, in your path or symlink it there, a little easier.

It will be hard to automate the modeswitching on your system, maybe better to set up an easier way to start sakis

--I agree GuruX, wvdial rules, it's my choice too. But it requires a working config file + switching ..

#20 2010-12-12 23:44:51

GuruX
#! Die Hard

^
I think the config file for wvdial very easy to set up. I just run sudo wvdialconf and the you'll have /etc/wvdial.conf. I usually only have to edit username/password and what number to dial.

#21 2010-12-13 12:03:24

coyotl

In my case it did require a few more options than that.
And a huawei e1752 did not work at all on Debian lenny which does not have
modeswitch.

Anyway Kickstart here is new to Linux and needs to make this work on 8.10 which he is stuck with for now,
usb modem software has improved since then.

Board footer